💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Bowie's pianist speaks out on Gaga

Slayer

Featured Posts

http://www.nme.com/news/music/david-bowie-mike-garson-interview-lorde-lady-gaga-tour-unreleased-material-2216871

Speaking of Lorde and why Bowie described her as ‘the future of music‘, Garson said: “There are artists that feel like they’re older souls and more spiritually evolved. Bowie recognised that. He saw that in Trent Reznor when I was playing with him on ‘The Fragile’ album. David was the ultimate casting director and knew who had the magic. I played in 13 bands with him but never played with a bad musician. Every band he chose was for the era that he needed.”

He revealed: “He had a gift for seeing it. He saw it in Lorde, she had a magic and a vibe. Another artist is St Vincent – she has a vibe. These artists are out there. Linda Perry, Juliette Lewis – I’m considering this as a continuing celebration of Bowie’s music. Will they all be great? Probably not. I’m trying to have them not imitate David, but bring their own take to it. Joe Elliot and Simon Le Bon were great at that. There’s almost no one who turns me down when I call, because they were all influenced by David.”

As for Lady Gaga’s divisive Bowie tribute at the 2016 GRAMMYs (which came under fire from his son Duncan Jones and former Spider From Mars drummer Woody Woodmansey), Garson admitted: “I think it was in the wrong direction. Had I been on that show, I would have suggested her doing ‘Lady Grinning Soul’ with me on the piano alone, just doing her thing.

“She has a great voice and is a great entertainer, she just went overboard and lost the magic. Thank god the Bowie Alumni Band and Lorde picked that up and salvaged that. Artists make mistakes, but to dismiss her as an artist because of that wouldn’t be fair because she’s a great artist. I’m hoping she’ll join us on a show somewhere and sing one or two songs. Nile Rodgers too.

“I must have a list of 100 alumni who I’d love to perform with us and over the next five years I’d like to work through them.”

I don't mind this criticism tbh because he acknowledges her talent and welcomes her to join them on a show. He clearly knows her heart was in the right place (and I hope Duncan Jones knows that too), but says his opinion in a kind, respectful way. Clearly Bowie's family and friends would have preferred a more touching tribute. In my opinion, the Lorde and Gaga tributes showcased the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to Bowie. He was a man of many colours and they both captured a glimpse of him wonderfully.

With that said, I still think Gaga should have pared down the number of songs in that medley. It was too much. In a way I agree that it lost some magic because of that.

Thinking about it, I would actually LOVE to see Gaga perform Lady Grinning Soul with piano accompaniment. It's totally in the right vocal range and really dramatic too.

What do you think?

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
davidtaylor

"she just went overboard and lost the magic"

I sort of agree with that, however I understand because I feel she was pressured to do Bowie proud and not mess it up

so happy i could die

Evan Peters

i think even talking about the performance is pointless because it's done and over with + has been since 2016. gaga and lorde are both completely different artists, so obviously they're going to pay tribute to him in different ways. 

emma roberts is an abuser

Just now, DavidTaylor said:

I sort of agree with that, however I understand because I feel she was pressured to do Bowie proud and not mess it up

I think the problem with Gaga sometimes is that she has so many creative ideas that she kind of throws everything at the wall to see what will stick. I know she's not exactly the 'less is more' kind of artist (except for Joanne :triggered:), but I can see where this guy is coming from when saying she went overboard.

2 minutes ago, Evan Peters said:

i think even talking about the performance is pointless because it's done and over with + has been since 2016. gaga and lorde are both completely different artists, so obviously they're going to pay tribute to him in different ways. 

But it's a Lady Gaga discussion forum. :selena:

davidtaylor
Just now, Slayer said:

I think the problem with Gaga sometimes is that she has so many creative ideas that she kind of throws everything at the wall to see what will stick. I know she's not exactly the 'less is more' kind of artist (except for Joanne :triggered:), but I can see where this guy is coming from when saying she went overboard.

Definitely, I think a lot of people felt it was just too much. I do however think it's unfair to compare to Lorde as her's was more of a slow and mellow performance in reflection, Gaga's was more in celebration.

so happy i could die

zakariah

Now this is constructive criticism. I’m pretty sure Gaga feels the same way about this performance when she looks back. 

I forgot who directed it but he/she should’ve let Gaga do what she does best: Sing her heart out with nothing but the piano. 

Sizzily

I see what he is saying. She really wanted to do so much but I think it was just too much.

One Banned Boi

lxdygxga

I think his point is entirely valid. It wasn’t her best performance, but she put her heart into it. I’m sure she’d do it differently now. 

Gaga's Bowie tribute was great aside from there being too many songs and not enough time per song. I guess for a tribute of someone who recently died a slower song has more impact. If it was a tribute to celebrate Bowie's career IN FRONT OF HIM, alive and well, then she'd be praised. But for someone who recently died she probably should have just done a ballad on the piano. If Jennifer Hudson did "How Will I Know" and "I Wanna Dance" on her Whitney tribute, she'd get a similar reaction I'm sure.

GypsyVida
17 minutes ago, Slayer said:

But it's a Lady Gaga discussion forum. :selena:

I think @DavidTaylor was talking about the guy that wrote the article and not the thread creator

Stream COWBOY CARTER

Just now, GypsyVida said:

I think @DavidTaylor was talking about the guy that wrote the article and not the thread creator

Garson was probably asked about Gaga and Lorde though.

LGMonster95

Gaga wanted to do more than just sitting on a piano and sing a Bowie song (that's literally how most tributes are), at the end of the day he's one of her biggest inspiration if not the biggest, she just wanted to do something big for him and i think it was good but even if some people didn't like it, they should at least appreciate what she wanted to do. 

Archived