💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What happened to strong melodies in pop music?

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

RadioIsOurs

I was listening to a few of the recent releases by Camila, Troye Sivan and so on, and while I like quite a few of them, I can't help but feel like everything nowadays is very mellow and lack strong, dramatic melodies...even with the best songs. They're now mostly relying on repetition and monotony, which can make a song catchy, but it just doesn't have that 'it' factor. You know, those chord changes that punches you in the gut and make you go WOW. It was really popular back in the day with the classic stuff especially like Motown and 90s R&B, plus the ones I love most have a very 'romantic' and 'comforting' sound. Gaga also used to write some really strong melodies too.

And I can't go without using Jpop as examples, which is an absolute master of strong melodies. 

(I do think Camila's Never Be The Same has a somewhat strong melody. I also think Ed's Perfect does somewhat embody this, but literally everything else about it is so boring.)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh Gaga still writes extremely strong melodies compared to everyone else. You can say TC is generic but that melody is pop greatness :queenga:

Red Velvet

Britney up to 2011 had one of the strongest pop perfection melodies of all time!

BLACKPINK IN YOUR AREA

ARTPOPNick
1 minute ago, JR Gg said:

Tbh Gaga still writes extremely strong melodies compared to everyone else. You can say TC is generic but that melody is pop greatness :queenga:

Well let's not talk about poker face :laughga:

I think Gaga is just a pro at creating catchy earworms..

but yeah, pop music today is kinda boring

RadioIsOurs
3 minutes ago, JR Gg said:

Compared to other recent songs yeah, but it just can't compare to killer melodies like Judas and Just Dance. I don't know, I'm not a music expert but I can tell that the melody for TC is a little more...flat. It's still strong though. But the melodies I'm mostly talking about are the ones that actually SPINS your soul around until your heart hurts, if that makes any sense. :laughga:

Bad Kids

90s are the most melodically pleasant tracks too

And when you say my name, like white horses on the waves, I think it feels the same, as an ocean in my veins.

RadioIsOurs
7 minutes ago, Piece of Me said:

Britney up to 2011 had one of the strongest pop perfection melodies of all time!

Her very early stuff and perhaps like Femme Fatale I do agree, but stuff like Slave 4 U and Gimme More definitely aren't as much. :emma:

Chromatislaps
12 minutes ago, ARTPOPNick said:

Well let's not talk about poker face :laughga:

I think Gaga is just a pro at creating catchy earworms..

but yeah, pop music today is kinda boring

Poker Face wasn't generic at the time...it may sound like it now (still a slapping bop)

bloody g

Pop is not a genre dictated by itself, it just flows above trends. If hip hop is the thing now, it is understandable that pop excludes excessive instrumentation to appeal to a wider audience.

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

RadioIsOurs
2 minutes ago, KatyBaldHead said:

Strong melody and you used Just Dance as an example :oprah:

Then provide me with a better Gaga example bish :triggered:

ARTPOPNick
10 minutes ago, Derpplause said:

Poker Face wasn't generic at the time...it may sound like it now (still a slapping bop)

I don't say Poker Face is generic, it's just not a complex melody, the verses are quite monotone and the "p p p p p pokerface p p pokerface" isn't that complex either.. but it's just an incredible catchy earworm, and most of the time she uses those little tricks in her music, because that's the element that makes a song a "gaga song".. but most of her melody lines aren't that extraordinary, (but I also have to admit: we're talking about pop music and not about jazz so..)

RadioIsOurs
Just now, Bloody Grammys said:

Pop is not a genre dictated by itself, it just flows above trends. If hip hop is the thing now, it is understandable that pop excludes excessive instrumentation to appeal to a wider audience.

Idk the 90s were huge on hip hop as well but their R&B stuff and even pop/rock had killer melodies. Some may say current pop is trying to be more atmospheric like the 80s but the 80s also still made up with some of history's catchiest melodies. 

mariomania1234

Melody in general is kind of lacking in the mainstream pop sphere at the moment, which is a shame because great melodies are what makes the songs timeless. Gaga is a master of melody, especially compared to her contemporaries.

RadioIsOurs
28 minutes ago, Bad Kids said:

90s are the most melodically pleasant tracks too

Absolutely

Archived