💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Mother of H&M kid : "Get over it!"

OBEY

Featured Posts

Borislshere
9 hours ago, FrankGutz said:

we shoul all be offended because america is the center of the universe and God forgive us to not be offended by SJW and what americans think is offensive

But it wasn’t just America upset though? This is South Africa

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MarryTheKnight
On 2018-01-11 at 12:02 AM, Borislshere said:

It’d be a cold day in hell before I let my future child where a shirt that referred to him as a monkey in a jungle. You do you though sis, secure the bag.

this is just like what Wendy Williams said. (She said she would never refer to her son or any child as a monkey because of the implications that term has with racism)

Im white, and my parents referred to me as a monkey all the time. If I saw a white kid wearing it, I would think it was cute and a non-issue.

But with the horrific history of social darwinism, and 'scientists' and racists claiming that black people were more closely related to apes than white people, I think the outrage that has sparked from this photo is totally justified. 

I dont think H&M is racist or unconsciously racist, I just think this was a HUGE mistake and I am astonished no one thought about the optics of these photos. Like the fact they even got released on their website is just... wow. 

Daniel Curtis Edie

H&M's photographers, people on staff during shoot, and content developers should have caught the issue right away and stopped it from being published. When putting something in the public eye, you have to think of the multiple ways it can be interpreted and just be socially aware. 

With that being said... Protesting, boycotting, and slamming H&M isn't helping matters any either. Yes, complaints are needed. Yes, people should be vocal in their dis-comorft with the mistake made. But where are the suggestions for improvement! It's so easy to complain, but NO ONE wants to offer a solution or even begin to look towards one. Complaining without posing a solution is simply whining and does little good for the most part. 

For those who don't understand or know where a possible solution lys, read this article linked bellow. It's clear H&M needs to employ a more diverse team behind their marketing and promotion: 

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/hm-advert-racist-hoodie-fashion-industry-retail-white-black-h-m-the-weeknd-a8149306.html

And to the members complaining about the overreaction and not even attempting to understand or see the other side, FFS pull your head out of the idealistic bubble. I wish we could be there, but we just aren't.   

StrawberryBlond

Here's Wendy's take on it. It starts from 2:17:

I think she's so off-base though when she makes some claims regarding how the mother will think because she's Swedish. The whole of Sweden is not "all Swedish," which is her code way of saying "they're all white." Sweden has had more immigrants than ever before and 23% of the 10 million population was not born there originally. The #2 and #3 most popular non-Swedish inhabitants are from Syria and Iraq, with Iran at #5, Somalia at #7 and Turkey at #10. Sweden is unlike the way it used to be and they're one of Europe's most multicultural societies now. And no, in Europe, we're not ignorant to the racism that goes on in America. We are well aware of it and how it differs. It's Americans who need to educate themselves on what's happening in Europe, but they naively assume they know it all.

7 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Sweden has had more immigrants than ever before and 23% of the 10 million population was not born there originally.

What is with your obsession with Sweden? Have you ever been there? Did you know that biggest immigrant groups are from Finland and ex Yugoslavia, all white. Did you know about Swedish mafia gangs all from the Balkan origin, all white? Their children and all who got citizenship are considered Swedish. Maybe you should learn something about Scandinavia before you start talking about their culture. 

Also all immigrants whose origin is from Middle East are considered Swedish if they got citizenship or they’re 2nd, 3rd generation. 

11 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Sweden is unlike the way it used to be

Sweden has been multicultural since the 70s, what are you talking about? 

FreePalestine

12 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

And no, in Europe, we're not ignorant to the racism that goes on in America. We are well aware of it and how it differs.

There’s no much difference when it comes to black or brown people. White European racists are using same slurs and comparing them to animals. 

FreePalestine

StrawberryBlond
47 minutes ago, lego said:

What is with your obsession with Sweden? Have you ever been there? Did you know that biggest immigrant groups are from Finland and ex Yugoslavia, all white. Did you know about Swedish mafia gangs all from the Balkan origin, all white? Their children and all who got citizenship are considered Swedish. Maybe you should learn something about Scandinavia before you start talking about their culture. 

Also all immigrants whose origin is from Middle East are considered Swedish if they got citizenship or they’re 2nd, 3rd generation. 

Sweden has been multicultural since the 70s, what are you talking about? 

I'm not obsessed with it. Wendy mentions it in the story, so I referred to it. This is literally the second reference you've ever seen me making to the country. That's not obsession. No, I've never been there but I've researched the place. Yes, I did know that the biggest immigrant group is from Finland and FYR...but I pointed out that the second and third biggest groups are from Syria and Iraq, along with neighbouring regions further down the list. FYR is at #6, below Syrian, Iraqi and Iranian immigrants, so I don't know why you brought that up. And by the 2016 census, Syrian residents are just over 4,000 people away from overtaking Finland as the #1 most popular immigrant group. I'm well aware that once you get a Swedish passport, you're now considered completely Swedish. But Wendy clearly wasn't talking about nationality, she was talking about race. You could clearly tell from her tone. It was a tone that implied: "They're all white there, so what would they know about racism?"

Sweden may have been getting migrants since the 70s, but their migration levels are now at the highest they've ever been. 2009 saw the highest ever rise in migration since records began. In 2010, around 1.3 million inhabitants were from foreign backgrounds and by 2016, that number increased to 2.3 million. In 2013, 29,000 people gained asylum, which was 67% higher than the year before. 2017 was believed to have taken in around 180,000 immigrants and aiming for 110,000 more every year afterwards. That is a lot of people to add to a country of just 10 million.

45 minutes ago, lego said:

There’s no much difference when it comes to black or brown people. White European racists are using same slurs and comparing them to animals.

But the racism in America operates differently because of the culture borne out of slavery over there. It means the n word is used more often whereas in Europe, there's different terms. Race also isn't focused on as much on Europe, we tend to see America as being obsessed with race, which is a big part where my frustration comes from. If we just saw each other as people and didn't take race into consideration at every opportunity and make it an issue where there wasn't one before, racism might actually start to die out.

JusKeepBreathin

I watch the TV show Lucifer and literally every episode the daughter of his partner is called by her nick name "Monkey." She is half latino and half white. I see where this mother of the model is coming from and I also see how this could offend people especially in the states. You can't tell minorities what they should or shouldn't feel bothered by when it comes to race. That's the problem I see here on GGD. Have your opinions, but don't call the opinions of others stupid. I personally feel the company messed up, but I don't think it was intentional. I also respect the mother's opinion

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

beboskoukla

my opinion on it is: I kind of understand why people think its rassist... BUT it's only rassist because people (some people) still compare black people to monkeys.... i mean thats the reason why they are angry, because they think H&M did it on purpose, but what if H&M did it because they didnt see a black and a white kid, what if they just saw 2 young cute boys?

I mean the people want that everyone is the same. And that everyone gets treated the same way.

So actually it should be okay, that the black kid is wearing this hoodie, IF people want that black and white are treated the same.... because if everyone is the same, than it's okay and doesn't matter who is wearing this hoodie,... Also monkeys are very intelligent animals. What if there was written " coolest elephant " and a boy who is a little bit chubby is waering it? 

I understand why people are mad, but I also think the comparisons should stop. 

please dont get me wrong... :hmm:

i love black, white, yellow, green, red all people <3 <3 !!!!!! we are all a rainbow!<3 

xoxo, Katarina

9 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

This is literally the second reference you've ever seen me making to the country. That's not obsession.

You mentioned Sweden in at least 4 different threads, which had something to do with race. For someone who has never been there, that’s obsession. 

11 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

No, I've never been there but I've researched the place.

I know that you love watching right wing YouTube videos about scary immigrants, but that’s not research. 

12 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Yes, I did know that the biggest immigrant group is from Finland and FYR...but I pointed out that the second and third biggest groups are from Syria and Iraq, along with neighbouring regions further down the list. FYR is at #6, below Syrian, Iraqi and Iranian immigrants, so I don't know why you brought that up.

Why did you point that out? I don’t know why did you skip biggest immigrant groups (which are white) and went straight to non-European... or maybe I know why? Why did you only mention Muslim countries? Why not immigrants from Poland, Hungary?

How are immigrants you specifically mentioned  and singled out relevant in H&M story? Are you aware that Balkan immigrants have different culture from native Swedish despite being all white, so why are you again talking how it was before and how it is now, when it comes to multiculturalism? 

15 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

But Wendy clearly wasn't talking about nationality, she was talking about race. You could clearly tell from her tone. It was a tone that implied: "They're all white there, so what would they know about racism?"

I didn’t watch the video. Majority of them ARE white. It’s safe to say they haven’t experienced racism in a way black people have, being compared to animals because of the skin color. H&M oversight is embarrassing, they should’ve known better. 

25 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Sweden may have been getting migrants since the 70s, but their migration levels are now at the highest they've ever been. 2009 saw the highest ever rise in migration since records began.

“Highest they’ve ever been”

”2009 since records began”

what? lmao 

I said it was multicultural since many decades ago. It’s not a new thing. 

26 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It means the n word is used more often whereas in Europe, there's different terms.

N word is used in Europe too and it’s often very similar to English version. 

https://www.thelocal.se/20150323/swedish-dictionary-to-advise-against-racist-words

30 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

because of the culture borne out of slavery over there.

What about these? 

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism/slavery/europe/black_people.aspx

http://slaveryandremembrance.org/articles/article/?id=A0145

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/08/european-racism-africa-slavery

I’d say many Americans are more ahead when it comes to understanding racial issues, while Europeans are still discussing why blackface is racist in countries like Netherlands and why sweets shouldn’t be called N****rs kisses in Scandinavia. 

FreePalestine

StrawberryBlond
17 minutes ago, lego said:

You mentioned Sweden in at least 4 different threads, which had something to do with race. For someone who has never been there, that’s obsession. 

I know that you love watching right wing YouTube videos about scary immigrants, but that’s not research. 

Why did you point that out? I don’t know why did you skip biggest immigrant groups (which are white) and went straight to non-European... or maybe I know why? Why did you only mention Muslim countries? Why not immigrants from Poland, Hungary?

How are immigrants you specifically mentioned  and singled out relevant in H&M story? Are you aware that Balkan immigrants have different culture from native Swedish despite being all white, so why are you again talking how it was before and how it is now, when it comes to multiculturalism? 

I didn’t watch the video. Majority of them ARE white. It’s safe to say they haven’t experienced racism in a way black people have, being compared to animals because of the skin color. H&M oversight is embarrassing, they should’ve known better. 

“Highest they’ve ever been”

”2009 since records began”

what? lmao 

I said it was multicultural since many decades ago. It’s not a new thing. 

N word is used in Europe too and it’s often very similar to English version. 

https://www.thelocal.se/20150323/swedish-dictionary-to-advise-against-racist-words

What about these? 

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism/slavery/europe/black_people.aspx

http://slaveryandremembrance.org/articles/article/?id=A0145

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/08/european-racism-africa-slavery

I’d say many Americans are more ahead when it comes to understanding racial issues, while Europeans are still discussing why blackface is racist in countries like Netherlands and why sweets shouldn’t be called N****rs kisses in Scandinavia. 

4 different threads? Uh, no. It's hardly something that you can bring up every so often. I'd remember if I'd talked about it in that many threads. I literally brought it up when this version broke (bringing up that H&M is a Swedish store when asked about its European origins), my thread where I talked about the migrant crisis in Sweden and this current thread because Wendy brought it up in a video about the event and I wanted to comment on it. Only 1 of those instances involved me talking about it when it wasn't relevant to the conversation. I think I know myself better than you do.

No, I didn't mean I research through watching YouTube videos, but thanks for the assumptions. I'm talking about looking up a country's name online and then reading about its history, language, culture, economy, politics and yes, population and demographics. Reading about other countries genuinely fascinates me, always has. I like to be cultured. I don't "love" watching right wing YouTube videos. I'm not right wing. The only time I do watch such videos is to get an insight into what the other side are thinking so I can poinpoint specific problems and look out for patterns. Unlike a lot of liberals, I actually consume both sides of a debate to see what one's best, if either side can pull up new evidence, if things are said that I hadn't thought of. Being liberal is about being open minded, after all.

I think you're confused about why I'm pointing out non-European groups because you later claim that you didn't watch the video. Therein lies the problem. Watch the segment, the specific bit that I'm talking about is only 4:18-4:44. Wendy was basically suggesting that everyone in Sweden is white and I pointed out that the statistics show that half of the top 10 immigrant population come from non-white nations. It's relevant to the H&M story because H&M is a Swedish company, the mother and son are Swedish and Wendy was making a comment about how in Sweden, they don't really understand racism and insinuated that it's because they're all white. I was pointing out that that isn't true. And again, I'm not talking about cultural differences or nationality, I'm talking about race. Wendy's comment implied she was talking about race and that's what I'm commenting on. I'm pointing out the multiculturalism situation because Wendy appears to think Sweden's still basically humogenous.

What do you mean by laughing at my statement of 2009 having the highest levels of immigeation since records begun? Do you think it's untrue or something? That fact was literally lifted from the Wikipedia page that links the stat to an official nationwide report. Migrants gradually coming in doesn't make a country multicultural. It's when said people occupy a significant portion of the country does it become that way.

The n word may exist in Europe but it isn't as prevalent nor is the same American culture around the usage of the word. Racial stereotypes and culture are also different. You'll know yourself being British that our black people have a different culture to American blacks. Black Brits tend to be influenced by African culture, might have existing extended family in Africa (whereas a lot of American blacks don't know where they originated from) and have different accents and slang. It's going to make their experience somewhat different. The racism against blacks is different here than it is in America. Not necessarily easier, just different.

I'd say Americans were more behind on racial issues, wanting to hold people back, still wanting to segregate, encouraging division, still judging so much according to race. Of course Europe has eyebrow raising stuff that needs to be done away with but to say we're on the same level as America is ridiculous. I don't think we ever had racially segregated proms, for one thing.

3 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

4 different threads? Uh, no.

Uh yes.

Use GGD search function if you don’t have that good memory. 

FreePalestine

illbekind

I completely agree that America is obsessed with race. Not the only place, and not to say it’s a non issue elsewhere. But the influence of that culture is felt everywhere in the world. 

My bad, 5-6 threads

28GewiY.jpg

uiHdADh.jpg

UQifT3P.jpg

dui70KP.jpg

Sweden and France, two most popular topics on right wing anti-immigrant websites and channels. 

You just recently told to someone from America not to talk about things in UK, unless he lives there. 

FreePalestine

StrawberryBlond
2 minutes ago, lego said:

My bad, 5-6 threads

28GewiY.jpg

uiHdADh.jpg

UQifT3P.jpg

dui70KP.jpg

Sweden and France, two most popular topics on right wing anti-immigrant websites and channels. 

You just recently told to someone from America not to talk about things in UK, unless he lives there. 

Oh my God, the first example was because I heard Swedish being spoken when I was out and mentioned the nationalities of different people there. Pardon me for just saying what I heard, not relevant at all. Good call on the next two, but it was relevant to the discussion. And the other ones I already acknowledged. But so what? All this proves is that you're the one with the weird obsession because you've researched how many times I said "Sweden" or "Swedish" on GGD in my life. Stop hounding me.

I don't give a f**k what the most popular topics are on right wing anti immigrant sites and channels. I'll talk about what I want to talk about. Talking about a popular topic for them is only a big deal if you're actually supporting what they're saying. I'm pro-immigration as long as it doesn't overstretch the country's capabilities, the immigrants don't have criminal convictions and the immigrants integrate, this is my world view. And I'd happily marry and have children with someone from another race if I fell in love with them. Don't dare put me in the same category as the likes of those who are pro-ethnostate and anti race mixing.

I didn't say an American couldn't talk about issues in the UK because they don't live there, just that if they do want to talk about such issues, they've got to do the research and if possible, get a handle on what the locals are saying as well. They admitted they hadn't done any of that and hadn't even read the article I provided. How am I supposed to take such a view seriously when they don't know why they believe what they do? Or respect the country they're talking about and just make assumptions? But then, that's typical for a liberal viewpoint - believe in whatever you want to believe, regardless of what facts are presented to the contrary and don't read anything from a source you don't like. Because we all know that only doing research according to your political comfort zone is the way to go! And you claim that it's conservatives who display confirmation bias? Look in the mirror.

Archived