society

Disney defends brown-face

Featured Posts

donutellha   Paws Up 13,758
donutellha

all they gotta to is hire POC god damn

all the body paint/bronzer WASTED! 

• Like 1
Walk down the runway but don't puke, it's okay. You just had 10 donuts today. Without frosting.

codymonster   Paws Up 2,902
codymonster
1 minute ago, ZacharyMark said:

How is this an overreaction? It's quite stupid of Disney to do this. There's no reason to not hire people that actually look like they'd be from the region in which the movie takes place. 

I think it’s an overreaction because they DID hire people that were that nationality. They just happened to also hire people that were not. And those people were made to look very tanned, because white people that live in the dessert sun would have very dark tans as well. I’m white, but I’d be really dark if I lived there, because I tan really easily.

again, I understand where people are coming from, but I personally don’t understand the big deal.

ZacharyMark   Paws Up 6,895
ZacharyMark
Just now, codymonster said:

I think it’s an overreaction because they DID hire people that were that nationality. They just happened to also hire people that were not. And those people were made to look very tanned, because white people that live in the dessert sun would have very dark tans as well. I’m white, but I’d be really dark if I lived there, because I tan really easily.

again, I understand where people are coming from, but I personally don’t understand the big deal.

This movie isn't taking place in 2018. There should be no white people in this story just based on the timeline and accuracy. And just because you're white and can tan easily doesn't mean you get to be a brown person for a day. I personally think Disney could've been more proactive in their search for specialty brown actors. The whole thing seems very lazy. But it's certainly not the first time we've seen white people portrayed in films. Sometimes the situation is well communicated, like in the upcoming Lion King film, but this is just a big eye roll. There really shouldn't be anyone mocking this by saying it's no big deal. It is for some people. And that's their truth. And sure, there are definitely brown people who won't care about this, but others do. So why is it such a big deal for those to come in here and tell the people with concerns that it isn't a problem? 

If it's not a big deal, then why are there tons of people on here mocking the ones trying to raise their voice? Because there seems to be more people mocking and laughing at others with simple arguments. We don't need "SJW" or "overreaction" posts. If people don't like that, then they shouldn't be here. 

And you're being reasonable. You're just stating your opinion, but there's definitely not just an "overreaction" from one side, eh?

• Like 3

Oriane   Paws Up 2,578
Oriane

Now this is an example of racism. Because they did it CONSCIOUSLY.

You popped my heart seems... All my bubble dreams, bubble dreams...

sethrb101   Paws Up 949
sethrb101

...ew. If you want dark skin (which is obviously preferable for this story), hire actors that look like that. It’s quite a simple concept. :triggered:

• Like 3
4th Place in Reputation Big Brother #JusticeForDelicate

053Timo   Paws Up 302
053Timo
52 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

Imagine thinking that racism isn’t a problem lmao 

Never said that. But this has nothing to do with racism imo

GoldenPonyboy   Paws Up 808
GoldenPonyboy
5 hours ago, Chic said:

But why do that? Just choose good darker skinned actors. This is ridiculous.

Its not for the actors, its for the extras, random people standing in the background

ALGAYDO   Paws Up 5,492
ALGAYDO
Just now, 053Timo said:

Never said that. But this has nothing to do with racism imo

How is brown face NOT racism? Please, enlighten me because I honestly do not understand you :sweat:

• Like 2
Gummy Bear ➡️ NOT Marinara ➡️ HOMODRAKE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Riley Benton   Paws Up 507
Riley Benton
11 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

Because, for some reason, privileged white folk think racism isn’t that bad as long as nobody is killed or whatever. How on earth is brown face or black face okay with people? It’s literal racism, yet you don’t give a ****. Why? Because it doesn’t affect you. Nobody seems to give a rat’s ass about oppression unless it somehow involves them too.

White people never had to deal with “white face” being used as a way to mock and suppress them. POC have. A lot. So not caring about it, as you apparently don’t, really shows how y’all take your privilege for granted. But yeah, keep doing you I guess. Nothing I say will open up your eyes to the real implications of modern day racism, or the importance of acknowledging that it’s going on, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

No no no, that’s not how life works, puddy pops. You don’t get to define what racism is and what it means. It has a definition:

rac·ist

ˈrāsəst/

noun

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

You don’t get to accuse and tell people that they’re racist because they’re emulating a person of color for a role or admiration. If the makeup is to show stereotypes, imitate a certain way of speaking or acting, mocks the way a certain race is then yes it’s fair to call racist but you can’t just tell somebody they’re racist because of makeup they’re using for a role, or makeup they’re using to dress up as someone out of pure admiration just because you’re a hypersensitive crybaby whose sole purpose is to get offended and label people things they are not. That’s not how life works, sugar tits. So you’re gonna sit down and you’re gonna spin and realize that your first world problem of being outraged over something so stupid has to stop.

• Thanks 1

Economy   Paws Up 6,679
Economy
38 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

Why are you even mocking this? 

This is a clear issue and I don't get why you have to try and not make it one.

I wasnt trying not to make it one. Im saying its overblown. Thats not the same

jesse_batista

ALGAYDO   Paws Up 5,492
ALGAYDO
5 minutes ago, Riley Benton said:

No no no, that’s not how life works, puddy pops. You don’t get to define what racism is and what it means. It has a definition:

rac·ist

ˈrāsəst/

noun

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

You don’t get to accuse and tell people that they’re racist because they’re emulating a person of color for a role or admiration. If the makeup is to show stereotypes, imitate a certain way of speaking or acting, mocks the way a certain race is then yes it’s fair to call racist but you can’t just tell somebody they’re racist because of makeup they’re using for a role, or makeup they’re using to dress up as someone out of pure admiration just because you’re a hypersensitive crybaby whose sole purpose is to get offended and label people things they are not. That’s not how life works, sugar tits. So you’re gonna sit down and you’re gonna spin and realize that your first world problem of being outraged over something so stupid has to stop.

LOL sis, the irony in you calling me a hypersensitive snowflake when you’re clearly the one who’s booty tickled by this whole situation :sharon:

I honestly can’t imagine having my head shoved up my own ass so far up that I spew this BS :ladyhaha: 

But yeah, keep thinking that **** like this isn’t a real race issue  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ll just sit my sugar tits over here and continue being a “hypersensitive crybaby” I guess :laughga:

Edited by ALGAYDO
  • Like 9
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1
Gummy Bear ➡️ NOT Marinara ➡️ HOMODRAKE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZacharyMark   Paws Up 6,895
ZacharyMark
Just now, Economy said:

I wasnt trying not to make it one. Im saying its overblown. Thats not the same

Well kind of. You're making this into a SJW issue when really it's just a matter of telling Disney to do a better job next time with outsourcing actors. They have the budget to find specific actors of color. 

• Like 6
  • LMAO 1

AURA   Paws Up 2,750
AURA
5 hours ago, Ryusei said:

i mean...do you wanna read subtitles the whole time??

This sounds so lazy lol. Typical american mindset.

• Like 3

Ryusei   Paws Up 8,763
Ryusei
Just now, AURA said:

This sounds so lazy lol. Typical american mindset.

I'm swiss :awkney: 

I mean I wouldn't mind I watch enough stuff that requires me to read subtitles the whole time but I was thinking of the English-speaking audience :ladyhaha: 

LM   Paws Up 2,086
LM

People here on GGD surprise me every day in this kind of threads. Next time you will blame vanilla ice cream for not being dark enough

• LMAO 3
  • Shook 1