Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Taylor Swift "gay-bashing"?

AlexanderMagno

Featured Posts

AlexanderMagno

So, I was going through some research, and ended up on Taylor Swift's first singles. I was reading the critical reception she got back then, and I ended up in her song Picture to Burn.

Apparently, the lyrics start like this:

State the obvious,
I didn't get my perfect fantasy
I realize you love yourself more than you could ever love me
So go and tell your friends that I'm obsessive and crazy
That's fine!
I'll tell mine
You're gay
By the way

Now, I'm not saying Taylor Swift was homophobic or whatever, I just thought it was worth pointing out how this song and these lyrics were so well received, while for example Katy Perry got incredibly harsh reviews because of her song Ur So Gay (which, of course, is much MUCH more explicit). Still, I've even read a music critic noting these lyrics and applauding them. Why? How come nobody said "wait, is Taylor Swift gay-bashing? Is being gay something to laugh about and mock?".

Again, I'm just raising a question, specially in these so called SJW days. What do you think? Should we talk about this? Do you think these lyrics should be criticised, or ir it just a innocent joke? Bias media? :oprah: did you know about this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ALGAYDO

I had no idea she even had a song with such lyrics lmao but I wouldn’t read too much into it 

I’m far from a fan, I actually can’t stand Taylor, but she obviously didn’t have any malicious intentions against the LGBTQ community here :laughga: 

Should we bring it up and discuss it? Sure. 

Should we get our pitchforks and torches out? Nah. 

It's such an immature line. Was she ten when she wrote this?

Don't visit my profile

AlexanderMagno
Just now, Werk said:

You're so late :air: 

Was this ever talked about around here? I know I'm late, I'm just saying that she got absolutely no negative reviews because of these lyrics earlier in her career, unlike others :emma:

bionic
1 minute ago, Pablo said:

It's such an immature line. Was she ten when she wrote this?

She was like 16 :laughga:

I guess it could be interpreted that Taylor's ex being gay is the excuse she gives for why they broke up, which isn't a way you can really defend Katy's song...

buy bionic

DeleteMyAccount

I remember getting into a fight with a friend about this in middle school. lol.

Honestly, I think Taylor has evolved from that. Those lyrics weren't even in the end product of the song, just the demo.

bionic
Just now, Jacob Crosson said:

I just listened to the song and there is no line saying gay

Yeah her team acted on it ASAP and its now like "well you won't mind if i say"

buy bionic

2 minutes ago, bionic said:

Yeah her team acted on it ASAP and its now like "well you won't mind if i say"

I can't even find a version with the original lyrics :rip:

Don't visit my profile

AlexanderMagno
4 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

I’m far from a fan, I actually can’t stand Taylor, but she obviously didn’t have any malicious intentions against the LGBTQ community here :laughga:

I agree she didn't.

Nevertheless, she was applauded by these lyrics. Really. Music critics actually enjoyed these. While there are other artists out there who also have no malicious intentions while saying these things but get dragged for it.

Just now, bionic said:

She was like 16 :laughga:

I guess it could be interpreted that Taylor's ex being gay is the excuse she gives for why they broke up, which isn't a way you can really defend Katy's song...

I don't read it that way. It looks like a clapback, as in "oh, you tell them I'm obsessive and crazy? Well I tell them you're gay". Which is not that cool. Again, I don't give a single duck about this, it's just something interesting I found. As for Katy's, well she should have thought twice before releasing that.

Arcanum

I guess that's how they found common ground for their friendship in the first place

giphy.gif

JK.

I think that the lyrics are cringey AF in total so I wouldn't mind.

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

zakariah

Taylor & Katy were both probably homophobic in the past, but now they’ve obviously changed their views because they have been educated about this issue. 

Before I knew anything about LGBT culture, I was homophobic too. It wasn’t until a few years ago where I got educated and now i’m part of the community. 

People change, those lyrics are old news and don’t represent the views of Taylor & Katy anymore. 

brit4ever
11 minutes ago, Arcanum said:

giphy.gif

Omg :air: What was Katy on here? :saladga: Crack, Cocain, Alcohol? :poot: And why is she wearing a snake? 2001 Britney is shaking. :interestinga: 

Archived