💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

The Weeknd won't work with H&M again

OBEY

Featured Posts

Craven Moorecox
37 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

Did I say all black people? The point is that is happens and that it's unfortunate that we all end up having these discussion without any actual resolution.

You did not say all black people, however, your statement that you have black friends who call each gorillas made it seem like black people were okay with being referenced to monkeys and apes since you’re “friends” don’t mind. I’m not okay with it, many other African-Americans are not, including The Weeknd.

I find it funny how people who do not identify with a certain group can tell them what they can and can’t get offend by. If we’re all so liberal as we say we are, we would trying to understand the reason why they are offend. If the same sweater was printed with a phrase that can be interpreted as being homophobic, we all would be pissed if a straight person told us that were overreacting.

People are allowed to respond to things they way they want to. I’m still going to shop at H&M because they’re cheap, but if another person wants to boycott them then it’s their choice.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omfg, what is the world coming to? Wow I better not call my mixed race nephew a cheeky monkey anymore I might get called out for being racist. Gtfo.

This **** is getting out of control.

codymonster
Just now, ZacharyMark said:

Well and that's what I've been saying too. This sweater itself isn't racist. What I and hopefully most other people are saying is that the pictures of the sweaters are a bit unfortunate at the very least. I mean you can't deny that. 

Oh absolutely, I could see how someone could say “ooooh, that could be taken the wrong way...” 

But then move on and understand that clearly that was not the intention. I hate when people pick a fight when a fight did not need to be made.

but yes, I see your perspective!

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, ZacharyMark said:

Exactly. Or why even show up to the conversation if they already think it's stupid and offensive to their own agenda. It's what you said: ironic.

You won't see these people being passionate about discrimination, they're only passionate about being "anti-SJW" because it feeds their egos and makes them feel like intellectuals.

SychosSoChic
3 minutes ago, codymonster said:

Yes, and I bet the African people who have dealt with extreme racism would clearly be able to see that this was not done with a cruel intent. It’s the privileged people that get triggered and look for ways to be offended. It’s almost disrespectful to the people who actually deal with extreme and hateful racism.

It's not.

And if you think those are the only people complaining about racism, then you really don't know what's going. There are tons of black people talking about race everyday on social media on every corner of the internet and globe. If you think it's just a bunch of white teen girls on their iPhones, you are sorely mistaken.

Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.

DeleteMyAccount
3 minutes ago, Craven Moorecox said:

You did not say all black people, however, your statement that you have black friends who call each gorillas made it seem like black people were okay with being referenced to monkeys and apes since you’re “friends” don’t mind. I’m not okay with it, many other African-Americans are not, including The Weeknd.

I find it funny how people who do not identify with a certain group can tell them what they can and can’t get offend by. If we’re all so liberal as we say we are, we would trying to understand the reason why they are offend. If the same sweater was printed with a phrase that can be interpreted as being homophobia, we all would be pissed if a straight person told us that were overreacting.

People are allowed to respond to things they way they want to. I’m still going to shop at H&M because they’re cheap, but if another person wants to boycott them then it’s their choice.

No, I was saying that there are posts on Insta in which I seeing black folks referencing themselves as gorillas and that it's unfortunate that there really isn't a solution to this conversation considering there are people who choose to live their own truth about the words they represent themselves with. I wouldn't say that I would group all black people together and conclude they all believe this or that. The point was opening the discussion to what reality is. And reality tells us that yes there are black people who care about this issue and there are some who don't. And that's not me saying whether or not a group of people should believe something but merely bringing up the fact that it's never ending.

4 minutes ago, codymonster said:

Oh absolutely, I could see how someone could say “ooooh, that could be taken the wrong way...” 

But then move on and understand that clearly that was not the intention. I hate when people pick a fight when a fight did not need to be made.

I agree with this completely. 

DeleteMyAccount
4 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

You won't see these people being passionate about discrimination, they're only passionate about being "anti-SJW" because it feeds their egos and makes them feel like intellectuals.

Yea, and let's see if these people in this thread will come to talk about the real racism that they talk so dearly about. If it's not about sweaters then I expect them to support the end to whatever real oppression they think is important.

StrawberryBlond

Bit of a surprise that no one present during this whole set-up thought to say anything, or at the very least, suggest this particular design should be put on a white child. But honestly, not seeing a problem doesn't necessarily point at racism but rather, a lack of it, since the creators might have had no immediate correlation in their mind between black people and monkeys. Which is quite a good thing, surely? It's like saying a phrase that had unintended innuendo. It doesn't mean you have a dirty mind, the problem lies with those who had their minds in the gutter. Once, just for once, consider innocent intentions when it comes to racial issues. The belief that all white people practice subtle racism is seriously grinding my gears these days. It harms the innocents more than the actual racists.

And can we stop with all this overblown need to declare that you're "boycotting" something just because you disagree with the most minor of transgressions? My uncle loves Jaffa Cakes and takes 3 a day to work to eat. The company used to sell the product in packs of 24, which was ideal for him because he works 4 days a week. 3 Jaffa Cakes for 4 days of the week works out to 12 a week, hence, a pack of 24 could last him for 2 weeks. But now, due to the recession, Jaffa Cakes have reduced their packs to contain just 20. He now says he's boycotting them as they "no longer fit into my working week." This is the same guy who refused to go to Safeway again after they wouldn't refund him for a tv...even though Safeway has now become Morrisons which doesn't even sell tvs anymore. This is modern outrage, folks. What's sad is that it isn't even coming from spoiled rich people either.

27 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

GGD remains racist i see.

Certainly not all of you.

But so many of you here act all liberal, but whenever it comes to race, you don't get it.

For years black people have been referred to as monkeys or told they look like monkeys.

This shirt is unacceptable and I wouldn't want to be associated with the company either.

You've used that word far too liberally. There is not one racist comment yet. Disagreeing with the idea that a shirt was racist does not mean that you are racist. Try looking at a situation critically and openly and make up your own mind about it instead of believing what you're "told" to believe. For the record, a lot of liberals are a bit too liberal when it comes to race, but not in the way you think. A good example is automatically defending people of colour when they commit crimes and even assume they're innocent, yet drag whites to the pits for the exact same behaviour and never assume their innocence. Not exactly what I'd call liberal.

Kids of all races have been called monkeys for years, in reference to their cheekiness and energy. I was called one, as were many other children and we were white. There's even a comedian who has a knitted monkey mascot who says "Cheeky monkey!" Look at the scene from the Princess Diaries when 3 white characters were said to be "acting like monkeys" because they were making silly noises due to suffering brain freeze from the ice cream. While there is a racial connotation, there is also a perfectly reasonable, innocent connotation as well, which is, 9 times out of 10, the one meant. What would you have said if it was worn by a white child?

21 minutes ago, JustLikeHoney said:

This ad is disgusting, but H&M is a European company. Just a question, are black people referred to as monkeys in Europe too? I still think it's gross but I would forgive the mistake if it was lack of knowledge rather than outright racism. 

It's a Swedish company and I don't know what the deal is in Sweden but certainly as someone from the UK, I was called a monkey as a kid, as were many of other kids, all of us white. It's just a reference to our proclivity for climbing on things, our cheekiness, our loudness. Ever heard the phrase "carrying on like a barrel of monkeys"? Don't get me wrong, we're aware of another connotation but it also means something perfectly innocent simultaneously. Just like how in the UK, we have words that are innocent but mean something different in America and vice versa.

18 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

people think they're not racist if they're not saying the N word or lynching people.

There are many people out there who are racist (and perhaps prejudice) and don't know it. 

Careful how you defend people being called racist.

We know there's more to racism than those specific things. But there's simply not enough evidence in this case to say there was any malicious intent.

Prejudice is pretty easy to recognise. We are taught how to pinpoint it. You won't see me defending people who do overt, unquestioned racism. But you will see me defend people who had completely valid things to say that could be interpreted as not racist at all. There isn't just one way of looking at things, you know.

13 minutes ago, Doot said:

White people are called crackers. Does that mean cracker companies shouldn’t allow Caucasian people in their ads?

Good one! And don't forget mayo as well! If I saw a white person wearing a hoodie that said "I love Jacob's cream crackers" or "I love Hellman's mayonnaise," I'd think it was quirky...and move on with my life. It's up to us if we want to read more into something.

codymonster
Just now, SychosSoChic said:

It's not.

And if you think those are the only people complaining about racism, then you really don't know what's going. There are tons of black people talking about race everyday on social media on every corner of the internet and globe. If you think it's just a bunch of white teen girls on their iPhones, you are sorely mistaken.

I am not saying, AT ALL that conversation about racism is bad. I am a firm believer in equality and have been involved in lots of events and organizations promoting and striving for equality in the sexes, race, and sexuality.

What I’m saying is that the people who call out racism when there isn’t any are the ones who are privileged. And I think it’s unfortunate, because it takes away from the people fighting the fight for serious racial issues! 

I think you misunderstood me!

Just now, StrawberryBlond said:

Good one! And don't forget mayo as well! If I saw a white person wearing a hoodie that said "I love Jacob's cream crackers" or "I love Hellman's mayonnaise," I'd think it was quirky...and move on with my life. It's up to us if we want to read more into something.

Screaming :toofunny:

DeleteMyAccount
5 minutes ago, codymonster said:

Well yea, that was the whole idea of this thread. Everyone should agree with that. However, I think people started getting into other things that made the original idea take a back seat. At this point people aren't fighting about a young black kid sweater a sweater but more about the questions that certain members brought up after regarding what racism is and how people shouldn't be offended, etc.

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived