Michelle Obama for example.

And my conservative grandpa called Obama "The monkey in the White House"

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

Brazil :ph34r:

So it isn't just a US thing like many people here want to believe. Interesting. 

DeleteMyAccount
1 minute ago, codymonster said:

My little cousins, who are black, are always called “my little monkeys” by their mother. Not because they are black, but because little kids, especially boys, are referred to as little monkeys. I used to be called a monkey as a kid. But it was because I was crazy and climbed on things, which is what most kids do.

Its very strange to me how people are so triggered by everything. Like, obviously H+M isn’t saying black people are monkeys :cryga: It’s just a kid, who happens to be black, wearing a sweater that any kid of any colour could wear.

People are more upset by the stupidity of how this and the other sweater translates. It's more unfortunate than anything. And you should know the history the comparisons as well. 

kvnrp
1 minute ago, Borislshere said:

Nnn mess it wasn’t that long ago. Monkey comparisons are still a thing. He’ll i was called a monkey and gorilla in middle school for my race and size. That wasn’t even 10 years ago :toofunny:

:rip:

The US is hard to grasp sometimes :rip:

Morphine Prince
3 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

Michelle Obama for example.

I heard various people call Michelle an ape while Obama was president.

The ignorance is so deep that people don't even know the history of using terms like that towards black people. The excuse is "but I really do think she looks like an ape" 

I was told this irl :rip: 

Just now, Morphine Prince said:

I heard various people call Michelle an ape while Obama was president.

The ignorance is so deep that people don't even know the history of using terms like that towards black people. The excuse is "but I really do think she looks like an ape" 

I was told this irl :rip: 

People are also saying Jay-z has gorilla lips...

Bellatrix
10 minutes ago, OBEY said:

:saladga: me rn because this madness started bc of my thread

It hasn't even been an hour yet and it's already coming for the top trending thread today :laughga:

kvnrp
Just now, Doot said:

Alright, I occasionally call my cat a monkey too.

But where is the exposure for cat rights?! :grr:

How does SHE feel when you call her by the name of a different species?

How would you feel when your cat calls you dolphin? :excuseu:

codymonster
5 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

People are more upset by the stupidity of how this and the other sweater translates. It's more unfortunate than anything. And you should know the history the comparisons as well. 

Obviously the kid and the mother of the kid were fine with it. They probably didn’t even give a **** because kids are called monkeys all the time. It’s jusy privileged people that find offence in everything. The people that actually have to deal with racism only WISH that this is what they had to deal with..

I dunno, I just don’t understand why we as a culture enjoy being offended and finding things that could be taken as offensive. Clearly this kid was not being called a monkey in a racist way. So I’m not sure why people are jumping at H+M’s throats.

DeleteMyAccount
1 minute ago, Doot said:

Because it is disrespectful AF to look at someones profile photo or their threads in another section of the forum, and use their sexuality or gender identity to support your lack of a logical argument.

Because you are calling out people of different gender identities and races to support your argument, and making blanket statements about black people, when you yourself are not even black. Don't speak for trans people. Don't speak for white people. And don't speak for black people.

I was in the process of responding. I don't take 30 minutes to re-read posts hoping people will remove prejudice comments before I respond to them. 

Well we've had discussion with Chic about such topics on here. And it isn't calling out their identity but more calling out the industry in how it chooses to represent them as well as black people. So no, I don't find it disrespectful. As an Asian man I'd love to have a discussion be turned to see it from a different perspective. You don't have to be a SJW about it.

If you read my response you would reread them and approach them with respect because you KNOW that I'm not blanketing all people. You yourself said it. You can't speak for other groups of people. 

You don't get it. 

Just now, Bellatrix said:

It hasn't even been an hour yet and it's already coming for the top trending thread today :laughga:

I genuinely didn't know it would turn like that :air: 

DeleteMyAccount
22 minutes ago, Craven Moorecox said:

I hope my response didn't offend you. My intent was clearly not to blanket the black community but to comment on the unfortunate reality of how things just never really change.

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived