💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

The Weeknd won't work with H&M again

OBEY

Featured Posts

Alexander Paley

i'm sorry but that's just plain hypocrite.

so yall not okay with a black child wearing that print (which is obviously offensive) but the cheap quality, labour rights violations, underpayment, human rights abuses (allegedly), sweatshop practices and actual CHILD WORK?  

that's dumb

As for Able, he's simply trying to avoid backlash. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Craven Moorecox
34 minutes ago, ModernEcstasy said:

Ah okay. I didn’t even connect the 2 to be honest! Me being ignorant as usual :hor:

I quoted you before I read this. The whole problem it has been here is that some people don’t think that the message was offensive and think that others shouldn’t be offend since they don’t think it was offensive.

Few people stated that they personally don’t see the problem, and since they don’t see it, the problem apparently doesn’t exist or exist to a point where POC should get offended.

Sorry if you thought I was attacking, we’re going on the 18th page and I just assumed you were in the loop.:hug: 

It's more than likely a (bad) oversight by H&M. I'm pretty sure that they would never intend to do something like that if they knew the amount of backlash it could get.

That said, a lot of y'all really need to understand that the connection between POC, especially Black people, and animals such as gorillas an monkeys, was and is still historically one of the most demeaning forms of dehumanizing. It's not a non-issue, even if this was an incidentally "minor" mistake.

3 points in and ready for more

ModernEcstasy
10 minutes ago, Craven Moorecox said:

I quoted you before I read this. The whole problem it has been here is that some people don’t think that the message was offensive and think that others shouldn’t be offend since they don’t think it was offensive.

Few people stated that they personally don’t see the problem, and since they don’t see it, the problem apparently doesn’t exist or exist to a point where POC should get offended.

Sorry if you thought I was attacking, we’re going on the 18th page and I just assumed you were in the loop.:hug: 

No worries. You are correct in realising I hadn’t read the thread before posting. :hug:

I suppose that I am blind to this as I surround myself with people from all corners of the world and I have never witnessed or been a victim of racism. So this word didn’t strike me as offensive.  

Now that I have educated myself, I see the issue. 

Such a shame as it was clearly not meant to offend. But it definitely is a problem as people are not happy about it. 

Obviously this was not meant to be racist. It most likely just went through all the channels without being noticeably seen by anyone (although that's crazy to believe). H&M has never been a problematic company so why would they intentionally sabotage themselves? The Weeknd has the right to voice his opinion over what offends him but personally I believe he is saying goodbye to a pretty good endorsement. :oprah:

doppelganger

Fast fashion is terrible for the environment, and  it’s labour practices are very suspect - but most of us don’t deny the allure of cheap clothes. 

The Weekend is a hypocrite though. He can’t only look at the oppression of one people and completely disregard other issues that the company is involved in. I’d respect him more if he worked with H& M and just views it purely as business.

As for me I haven’t bought H&M in a long time, the last time was a pair of socks over a year ago. I do have a weakness for Uniqlo and Muji though.  

NCgaga

Of course it wasn’t done on purpose, but someone definitely should have noticed the sensitivity toward it. Maybe because HandM is a Swedish company?

Trepadation

Y'all, This nothing new. It's an ethnic slur to call a black person. Has been for decades.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/porch_monkey

Let's not forget about black soccer/football players getting bananas thrown at them

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/05/09/310990212/spain-fines-team-of-racist-banana-throwing-fan-but-is-it-enough

https://deadspin.com/racist-dutch-soccer-fans-throw-inflatable-banana-at-bla-1688283860/amp

Xoxo Adriana

Looks like dumb culture is the thing now :awkney: 

the president of the US, Paris Hilton and now H&M 

Ironic I'm making this point lol but seriously, H&M has been around long enough to know doing a campaign like this is super disgusting...

This wasn’t H&M’s intent.

But is still is BAD, especially with black people’s history. 

All I see are white people seeing this as a non-issue because

1.) “Everything is offensive this 2018” yet they’re not even part of the group that is affected.

2.) “I call kids monkeys all time” still doesn’t negate the fact that this is a sweater done in extremely poor taste in regards to black people (it’s not like they were put into human zoos for white people before anyway)

3.) “I have black friends/family” Like saying someone isn’t homophobic because he has gay friends. Cute

4.)”How about focus on H&M slave labor” AKA All Lives Matter and Straight Pride

ALGAYDO
6 hours ago, Alexander Paley said:

i'm sorry but that's just plain hypocrite.

so yall not okay with a black child wearing that print (which is obviously offensive) but the cheap quality, labour rights violations, underpayment, human rights abuses (allegedly), sweatshop practices and actual CHILD WORK?  

that's dumb

As for Able, he's simply trying to avoid backlash. 

This is like shouting “all lives matter!” at a BLM protest. 

Or like shouting “all cancers are bad!” at a breast cancer awareness rally. 

Or like shouting “where’s my straight pride?!” at a gay pride event. 

You get the point. Yes, child labor and other labor atrocities are bad, but that doesn’t disqualify people from focusing on a certain issue at hand. In this case, this stupid ass oversight. This whole “all or nothing” mentality that y’all have with regards to social issues hurts those issues more than it helps them. 

FilthyPOP414

Everyone defending H&M on here is white. 

This is horrendously racist. It needs to be retracted and a sincere apology should be made. If a white little boy had a shirt that said "Coolest Cracker" with a picture of crackers the store would be closed the next day 

BlackJudas

If you're defending H&M, it's clear that you are NOT a person of color and don't understand the history of the word and what it means to POC. 

A. This photo went through too many hands to NOT be caught and/or questioned. ANYONE could've said "hey this isn't a good look for our brand. Let's just post the item by itself."

B. This is a child and his parents should've pulled him out of the ad the moment they saw the shirt he was wearing.

C. Weeknd did the right thing with distancing himself from the brand. If he didn't everyone would've questioned why he's still supporting them after their racist action

666 others

I am not American. Can someone explain why the word "monkey" is considered offensive? I remember few years back Harbhajan Singh, an Indian cricketer got into trouble for allegedly calling Andrew Symonds, an Australian cricketer, a monkey. I never understood the controversy.

Edit: I'm from India.

:holyshit:

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived