đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Movies lovers let's discuss the Globes

pedrohemg

Featured Posts

pedrohemg

Best Film Drama Actress

This year the drama actress competition is really tight. I didn't see The Post yet but all reviews say Meryl is simply spectacular, her gestures, moves are all perfect even for her standards. Maybe she delivered the best performance of her career. But media has already chosen their favorite, who is Frances McDormand for her role in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. But let's not forget that last year the favorite to win everything was Natalie Portman but she lost the Globes for Isabelle Hurppert, the SAG and Oscar for Emma Stone. Besides, a portion of the critics believes Meryl will win this year not only because of her great performance but her powerful political speech last year. So my bet is: Meryl Streep.

Best Film Drama Actor

This should be an easy win for Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour), but let's not forget Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring from acting so maybe the HFPA won't let him do this without an award. My bet is: Gary Oldman.

Best Director

Although I really love Steven Spielberg, this is a competition between Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk) and Guillermo Del Toro (The Shape of Water). Since TSOW received most nominations, I'm going with Guillermo.

Best Film Drama

Really difficult category. I think it's between The Shape of Water, Three Billboards and The Post. Since the movie that receives most nominations generally doesn't win best film drama, I'm not betting on TSOW. And since we're talking about Hollywood Foreign Press, Washington Post, a movie with Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, my bet is The Post.

Bradley

Wait Gary Oldman is nominated for a Globe?

Didn't he used to boycott the Globes? Why would his label submit his performance for consideration?

pedrohemg
5 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Wait Gary Oldman is nominated for a Globe?

Didn't he used to boycott the Globes? Why would his label submit his performance for consideration?

yes he is. That will be a lot funny. Four years ago he said a lot of sh*** about them. I can't wait for his speech.

JR Gg
47 minutes ago, pedrohemg said:

Best Film Drama Actor

This should be an easy win for Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour), but let's not forget Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring from acting so maybe the HFPA won't let him do this without an award. My bet is: Gary Oldman.

Tbh I believe Gary Oldman is to win, but the closest person to pull an upset (or not) is Timotheé Chalamet in Call Me By Your Name. His debut performance was natural and exceptional. He's truly a superstar actor in the making :firega:

pedrohemg
7 minutes ago, JR Gg said:

Tbh I believe Gary Oldman is to win, but the closest person to pull an upset (or not) is Timotheé Chalamet in Call Me By Your Name. His debut performance was natural and exceptional. He's truly a superstar actor in the making :firega:

Yeah, he'll probably win although he said some bad things about the Globes in the past.

Madam Margolyes

It's hard to believe that an oscar winner like Frances McDormand has never won any golden globe :saladga:

Spoiler

And Gaga has one :ladyhaha: :firega:

pedrohemg
3 minutes ago, Madam Margolyes said:

It's hard to believe that an oscar winner like Frances McDormand has never won any golden globe :saladga:

Reveal hidden contents

And Gaga has one :ladyhaha: :firega:

yes, the Globes are unique. Only 90 members make things unpredictable.

Spoiler

I still can't believe they chose Gaga over Kristen Dunst. :selena:

pedrohemg
1 minute ago, LePetitMonstr said:

Call Me By Your name is overrated as hell. There, I said it. :laughga:

yesssss.....I think that too.

Ziggy

Why did you not mention the comedy categories at all? Ladybird's in that and is far and away the favorite of the award show circuit this year.

Sidenote: I don't understand why Dunkirk wouldn't get some awards or isn't a favorite to win some. I think it was Nolan's best movie since Inception.

pedrohemg
5 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Why did you not mention the comedy categories at all? Ladybird's in that and is far and away the favorite of the award show circuit this year.

Sidenote: I don't understand why Dunkirk wouldn't get some awards or isn't a favorite to win some. I think it was Nolan's best movie since Inception.

I only mentioned the ones I'm most interested but feel free to talk about other categories here. Yeah, Lady Bird will win best comedy and best comedy actress.

Maybe in other categories Dunkirk will succeed but I think TSOW has some advantage in directing.

Sorcerer

I always follow the awards season so thank you for the thread. :D

Best Film Drama

Very difficult competition this year. It is between The Shape of Water (the one with most nominations), The Post and Three Billboards. The Shape of Water might win because of its romance. The Post can win because it is about journalism and the voters are journalists. Three Billboards might also win because many of the voters are said to have loved it and it also had many nominations. Personal choice: The Post

Best Director

Between Guillermo Del Toro and Christopher Nolan. I didn't like Dunkirk that much, but Nolan still has a ton of fans. Personal choice: Guillermo Del Toro

Best Drama Actress

Between Frances McDormand, Meryl Streep, and Sally Hawkins. I am personally rooting for McDormand since she still doesn't have a Globe. Streep might still win to have another opportunity for a massive speech. Personal choice: Frances McDormand

Best Drama Actor

Between Gary Oldman and Timotheé Chalamet. Oldman might have some bad reputation for the HFPA. Chalamet is the next big superstar with his subtle acting. But politics and personal matters aside, Oldman gave the showiest and biggest performance. Personal choice: Gary Oldman

Best Comedy Film

Most likely to be Lady Bird, but Get Out's hype might catch up. Personal choice: Lady Bird

Best Comedy Actor and Actress

Dave Franco for actor. Saoirse Ronan for actress. Judi Dench might catch up with her camaraderie with HFPA, but I personally prefer Margot Robbie in I, Tonya for her transformative performance. Personal choices: Dave Franco and Margot Robbie

Best Supporting Actor

Christopher Plummer is getting all the hype for replacing Kevin Spacey in his film. But Willem Dafoe is getting all the critics awards, along with Sam Rockwell. Personal choice: Willem Dafoe

Best Supporting Actress

Laurie Metcalf multi-dimensionality in Lady Bird was amazing, but watch out for Allison Janney in I, Tonya. Personal choice: Laurie Metcalf

1 hour ago, LePetitMonstr said:

Call Me By Your name is overrated as hell. There, I said it. :laughga:

It was fine, impressive and emotional, but very limited in scope and not groundbreaking to be a Best Picture winner. So yes, it is overrated. Some people only root for it because they love and relate to the book and the film, but haven't watched the other contenders.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I don't understand why Dunkirk wouldn't get some awards or isn't a favorite to win some. I think it was Nolan's best movie since Inception.

It is still a frontrunner but it didn't really perform well in local critics awards. Also, it missed out acting and screenplay nominations. So mostly, it is just praised for its directing and technicality.

pedrohemg
4 minutes ago, LabCoatDude said:

I always follow the awards season so thank you for the thread. :D

Best Film Drama

Very difficult competition this year. It is between The Shape of Water (the one with most nominations), The Post and Three Billboards. The Shape of Water might win because of its romance. The Post can win because it is about journalism and the voters are journalists. Three Billboards might also win because many of the voters are said to have loved it and it also had many nominations. Personal choice: The Post

Best Director

Between Guillermo Del Toro and Christopher Nolan. I didn't like Dunkirk that much, but Nolan still has a ton of fans. Personal choice: Guillermo Del Toro

Best Drama Actress

Between Frances McDormand, Meryl Streep, and Sally Hawkins. I am personally rooting for McDormand since she still doesn't have a Globe. Streep might still win to have another opportunity for a massive speech. Personal choice: Frances McDormand

Best Drama Actor

Between Gary Oldman and Timotheé Chalamet. Oldman might have some bad reputation for the HFPA. Chalamet is the next big superstar with his subtle acting. But politics and personal matters aside, Oldman gave the showiest and biggest performance. Personal choice: Gary Oldman

Best Comedy Film

Most likely to be Lady Bird, but Get Out's hype might catch up. Personal choice: Lady Bird

Best Comedy Actor and Actress

Dave Franco for actor. Saoirse Ronan for actress. Judi Dench might catch up with her camaraderie with HFPA, but I personally prefer Margot Robbie in I, Tonya for her transformative performance. Personal choices: Dave Franco and Margot Robbie

Best Supporting Actor

Christopher Plummer is getting all the hype for replacing Kevin Spacey in his film. But Willem Dafoe is getting all the critics awards, along with Sam Rockwell. Personal choice: Willem Dafoe

Best Supporting Actress

Laurie Metcalf multi-dimensionality in Lady Bird was amazing, but watch out for Allison Janney in I, Tonya. Personal choice: Laurie Metcalf

It was fine, impressive and emotional, but very limited in scope and not groundbreaking to be a Best Picture winner. So yes, it is overrated. Some people only root for it because they love and relate to the book and the film, but haven't watched the other contenders.

It is still a frontrunner but it didn't really perform well in local critics awards. Also, it missed out acting and screenplay nominations. So mostly, it is just praised for its directing and technicality.

Thanks for your predictions...We agree in three of them. I just hope you wrong about McDormand, because Meryl is my queen. hahaha

Archived