💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Love, Simon Trailer

OBEY

Featured Posts

Just walked out of the theater. I loved it. 

It was so charming, endearing, and it made me cry :wtfga:

conversation with friend after leaving theater:

doot-I loved it!

friend-you should post about it on GGD

doot-nah, I bet you if there is a thread already about it it’s just the typical social justice “I love to bitch” warriors complaining about the movie

goes to GGD...

doot-yep

Loved the movie!

Bad Romance was played by a marching band and there was a poster of Gaga so there’s that :lolly: 

Killa

The trailer seems exciting, a cute funny video to watch with my mom on sundays

Writers need to discover Gagadaily, how thristy we are, disturbed, etc. So many possibilities and keep having the same shet. But whateves, he's cute

JesseBabe
On 1/6/2018 at 6:08 PM, that juju said:

I just wanna know why every gay coming of age story - aside from, like, two - all have the same type of white boy lead.

The gay experience growing up has so little to do with having a perfectly symmetrical and generically attractive face, give me diversity, give me grit, give me stories about the other 99% of the LGBT community who aren't as conforming / masc acting / so unbearably cis. Tired of settling for stories that are force-fed to us as if we are supposed to appreciate it. Like we are supposed to be happy with receiving scraps at the dinner table, just because it's about a gay. 

I've yet to read too much into this story, so it has the chance of surprising me, I just want to know why on the surface, I'm always seeing the same kinds of stories being told.

I was coming here to see if anyone had mentioned this extremely noticeable flaw. I really have no interest seeing the movie, because it looks so basic, and not what more than half of our stories are like in real life. My friend and I were talking about this movie and he was like, "Yes, please tell me as a white, cis gendered, middle class, masculine male, all the problems and hardships you are facing as a LGBTQ+ member". :ladyhaha: 

I know this story is way more marketable than a lot of our realities, but it's just so tiring that this is all we get. Every single time I have seen an ad for this movie I roll my eyes. 

OBEY
6 hours ago, JesseBabe said:

I was coming here to see if anyone had mentioned this extremely noticeable flaw. I really have no interest seeing the movie, because it looks so basic, and not what more than half of our stories are like in real life. My friend and I were talking about this movie and he was like, "Yes, please tell me as a white, cis gendered, middle class, masculine male, all the problems and hardships you are facing as a LGBTQ+ member". :ladyhaha: 

I know this story is way more marketable than a lot of our realities, but it's just so tiring that this is all we get. Every single time I have seen an ad for this movie I roll my eyes. 

The struggle he lives with is his sexuality, which ANYONE (color, ugly or not masculine or not) lives with. Just bc ur hot or masculine or don’t get bullied at school doesn't make your struggle less REAL to you. It's not a battle about who has it the hardest. The struggle is INSIDE him. He knows his friends wouldn't mind and his parents probably not too, but it's that he doesn't agree with the fact that gays need to come out, label themselves and also it's hard to admit it to himself. I'm reading the book rn.

Every media outlet is praising the movie. We finally have a LGBTQ+ big movie that is promoted and STILL some LGBTQ+ people are not ok with it. As people of a community who want to be accepted for who they are and that live different struggles, why should we judge and say oh this person has it less hard than me so who this person's experience/feelings matters less ? It's still about the sexual orientation struggle and the struggle is still there and everyone experiences it a different way inside and outside !

domixwodix

I have to wait till june so it plays in germany.............

it's sort of like, my past is an unfinished painting..

SychosSoChic

These movies are as tired and overdone as the "Indie" Teen love movies.

But that's why they're necessary. It's not the representation I want, but it is representation the average younger LGBT could use. It's a cliche gay teen film, in the same way Fault in our Stars is a cliche str8 teen film.

It won't win any big awards, it won't change pop culture, and it won't solidify any careers. But it'll make a gay 13 year old out there feel normal, which is enough for me. For now.

As long as we get more mature, and gritty movies to balance it out, like Moonlight.

Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.

youandi

I understand a lot of your guys points that it could be more representive of reality and stuff and there needs to be wider more accurate representations of the gay community. 

However, I don't agree with it being tired or done a hundred times when I've never a gay focused film hit the mainstream like this and be widely advertised and spoken about amongst the public, as well as film fans or gay people. Yeah, some of us will have seen similar films before because we've gone looking for them but that doesn't mean everyone's seen it all before. If this move can help just a few people feel comfortable to come out, which it has, then it's doing a good job. 

P.S: Really bothers me to see there's still such a rigid view of what's feminine and masculine on this site :/ 

5 hours ago, OBEY said:

The struggle he lives with is his sexuality, which ANYONE (color, ugly or not masculine or not) lives with. Just bc ur hot or masculine or don’t get bullied at school doesn't make your struggle less REAL to you. It's not a battle about who has it the hardest. The struggle is INSIDE him. He knows his friends wouldn't mind and his parents probably not too, but it's that he doesn't agree with the fact that gays need to come out, label themselves and also it's hard to admit it to himself. I'm reading the book rn.

Every media outlet is praising the movie. We finally have a LGBTQ+ big movie that is promoted and STILL some LGBTQ+ people are not ok with it. As people of a community who want to be accepted for who they are and that live different struggles, why should we judge and say oh this person has it less hard than me so who this person's experience/feelings matters less ? It's still about the sexual orientation struggle and the struggle is still there and everyone experiences it a different way inside and outside !

Best post in this thread. 

Whats actually tiring is the constant need to bitch because a movie isn’t made tailored to the individual viewer. 

The movie is meant to be a light hearted, fun rom-com. The movie was not meant to portray teenagers getting the **** kicked out of them, parents kicking them out of their houses, sitting on Grindr from sun up to sun down, and crying “Sis, I just want to be myself and have people accept me and one day my wig will fly to Venus.”

I didn’t walk into Brokeback Mountain pissed off because I am not a gay cowboy. Not every movie is tailored to ME. Not every movie has to be some true to life story. It’s a goddamn movie. Relax. 

If you want to really watch something that is an accurate representation of gays and gay culture, go watch Queer as Folk. Imagine how disappointed I felt as a young teenager watching that show and learning that typical gay culture is sex, cheating, drugs, partying every night, being drunk, worried you are going to catch diseases, and crying all the time. 

JesseBabe
On 3/18/2018 at 6:32 AM, OBEY said:

The point I was trying to make, (which I could have said way better), is that this movie feels cliché and banal to me. We've seen this narrative before many times. This is what's marketable in 2018 to mainstream media; a glossed over, fun hearted rom com about a cis gendered, attractive, middle class white male (who just happens to be gay). Here's a quote from a review from Indie Wire that I really enjoyed that seemed to express my similar opinion:

"Most LGBTQ youth will see more of themselves in Ethan (Clark Moore), the school's resident flamboyant. Observing Ethan being bullied, Simon says: "I wish he wouldn't make it so hard on himself." The movie is full of these kinds of rigid gender stereotypes that shame kids who don't happen to be "totally normal with a huge ass secret. [...]The whole movie is like one giant “Masc-for-Masc” Grindr ad."

This movie isn't really for me, but if can help a closeted teen come to terms with themselves, or to feel comfortable even just through the length of the film, than it did its job. I just hope that a story of a flamboyant, person of color, who gets kicked out of their home, is being bullied, and dealing with other raw struggles and emotions, that a huge chunk of our LGBTQ+ brothers and sisters go through in their daily lives, gets the same praise one day as Love, Simon. 

Robo Ga
On 2018-03-18 at 9:32 AM, OBEY said:

THANK YOU for posting this. I wish I could like this post 100000x 

🤖⚡️

• 2 weeks later...
DontDoubtDavid

Loved this movie! So cute and well done, not too in your face and I can see how this can make a positive impact.

My only question is what if Blue turned out to be somewhat overweight and/or not a stereotypically attractive guy? Would Simon still have gone for the kiss and fallen in love with him?

Archived