đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

A-Yo Should Have Been A Single

Quark

Featured Posts

It was released as a single in Australia and other countries, and I don't think it is/was single-worthy

Black Jesus †

LastNight

I agree. I absolutely love Perfect Illusion but A-Yo sounds like the obvious lead on the album. It's fun, it's catchy, it's a big shift from Gaga's previous work and indicative of the whole vibe of the album. It has a honky-tonk/country kitsch vibe which is used in a similar way to how funk was used on Uptown Funk; with total enthusiasm and respect but also to create a pop song that is quirky and stand out.

It would definitely grab your attention on the radio but it also wouldn't seem out of place. It has lots of great one liners that I think would really stick to people; especially 'mirror on the ceiling' - people I've played it for always seem to latch on to that bit and sing along.

It's a shame that this kind of thing has happened for the past couple of albums. I love Applause but I don't believe Gaga was interested in releasing it at all, let alone as the lead - didn't she say it was one of the last things she played for the label in search of a lead? I don't think she doesn't like it, but in the same way as PI, if it wasn't the lead single I don't think it would have been on the album at all.

I'm sure there's a tremendous amount that goes into selecting and promoting singles, but in a lot of cases there have genuinely been a lot better choices than the ones the label made. I'm not being a delsuional fan like "SHGE WOULD HAVE SLAYED AND BEEN NUMBER ONE FOR 12 WEEKS IF X HAD BEEN RELEASEDDX" and hindsight is a wonderful thing, but just as a listener you have a gut response to stuff when you first listen and it seems obvious what the single choices should be...

I would love to know how involved she is in what gets the single treatment. She obviously has a say but a lot of times it does seem like it's completely the label's choice and she envisioned the era differently. I hope when she renewed her contract (I'm guessing she did?) she managed to leverage more control over stuff like this. I don't even know if that's the kind of thing that goes into a contract but she's the type of artist that has a very strong vision and there's no point only letting half of it see the light of day, she should be able to fully realise her concepts. This is all speaking speculatively of course, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and of course they've made some excellent choices in the past. I love Venus but DWUW is a killer song and the better single choice (shame it wasn't done in time to be the lead...minus R. Kelly though). Million Reasons was another excellent decision and has done wonders for her career and reputation I think.

YoungWildCanadian

A-YO would have had such an amazing mv. One of my favourites from Joanne tbh. I used to get in trouble for playing too much when I worked in radio because it wasn’t a single.. :saladga:

YoungWildCanadian

ryanripley

such an amazing song and one of gaga’s best :giveup: 

the title confusion probably held it back too

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

2 hours ago, GaGaAst said:

why are you guys not satisfied with million reasons??. 

It got so much of promo everywhere and a masterpiece eye catching video. 

Ayowouldhavenevergotit

Is not that I am not satisfied. I also supported MR as a single before it was chosen. But A-Yo should have been another single.

2 hours ago, NCgaga said:

A-yo would not have done well. ITs melody was not near as catchy, though it’s catchy. I think, to be a “Mark Robson” hit, Gaga would have had to go more down the road of funk or Rnb, like Bruno. Ayo is kind of a rock-abilly with a country twang. Not really what’s popular with the younger crowd. At the time, a Caribbean sound, or influence was pretty big. Dancing in Circles was that. The little talking she does, is also very historically “Gaga”- and would have been enough to carry a decent 1st single. Joanne is not a “singles” album, and that’s ok. Beyonce hasn’t released a “singles” album since Sasha Fierce. Some artist just do better when they present their albums as a full work. Joanne, was the purest full album Gaga has ever released, which is why it was more successful than ARTPOP. I think Diamond HEart would have been a pretty big hit too, as a first single. When she released “The Cure” it did well as a single, because she didn’t present it as a part of an album. IT was completely a song based on the popular sound of the time. and it did well. She could release an album based on the current popular sound, but she may feel like she would lose artistic integrity that way. 

Funk wasn't all that popular when Uptown Funk was released. But it's boldness and in your face sound helped it become a hit. A-Yo has those same qualities even if it has a country vibe.

NewYorkCity

AYO is still being played on TV here to promote diferente shows etc. So yeah, that’s only being a promo single. For me, it sounds like a hit since day one. And it should have been the lead single followed by Million Reasons. But, once again, the second single situation messes everything up. And I am not saying I am not satisfied with million reasons, it has had an amazing performance. But, if it had been released since day one with a plan making ayo 1st and then MR 2nd single it would have been better. 

Just like how TEOG was an amazing single choice ****ed up by its messy release. 

They will learn someday I guess.

FRANK1991

lol every Gaga era you always see tons of debate of what songs should have been a single long after it's all released and no turning back

yes and Dance in the Dark, Venus, Scheisse, Aura, Gypsy, Monster, John Wayne all should be official singles whether it'll flop or not :tony: but they are not singles and never will be so :madge:

at least Scheisse and Venus were performed live in Coachella and JWT (and they sound f*cking amazing) :pray:

Cause once you let it go you better know it's gone

4 hours ago, Phlop said:

1. A-YO

2. Million Reasons

3. John Wayne

4. Dancin’ in Circles

5. The Cure

Honestly would have been here for this! As much as I love PI it should’ve been a promo single for the album and Superbowl. 

Frankenstein

It should have been released as the lead single. It would have been a bolder and more explosive choice, even though some fans would be shook.

Poissonche
4 hours ago, Kefir said:

:ladyhaha:

Jfjiwbrejjdeuje what? I had forgotten this :ladyhaha:. Man, was she savage promoting this song... She really loved it and it showed.

Archived