society

TIME’s Person of the Year revealed

Featured Posts

Sneaky Oliver   Paws Up 4,173
Sneaky Oliver
30 minutes ago, gagagoogoose said:

Lady Gaga partnered with Joe Biden to build sexual assault trauma centres.

She also sang TIHTY to raise awareness on this issue.

Did TIME award her for it? 

Slay :giveup:

• Thanks 1

KleinGa   Paws Up 14,263
KleinGa

Im sorry but Taylor Swift? :awkney:

I stan her music but honey she's the least deserving person there. Im sure her team put her there for the promo.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

GoldenPonyboy   Paws Up 1,492
GoldenPonyboy
1 hour ago, gagagoogoose said:

Silent breakers?

Taylor Swift is the definition of being silent on everything in the world except herself.

giphy.gif 

They probably thought it was kesha :toofunny:

kesha should have been there, praying deserves to be recognized for influencing culture 

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

ALGAYDO   Paws Up 6,590
ALGAYDO

Of course she is lmao Why wouldn’t she? America tends to love and praise mediocrity all the time. 

• Like 2
  • YAAAS 4
Gummy Bear ➡️ NOT Marinara ➡️ HOMODRAKE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TooCool   Paws Up 475
TooCool
1 hour ago, GypsyBabe said:

Taylor as a silence breaker?  :awkney:

Color me confused. What movement did she launch? What has she spoken up against? Who has she spoken for? :oprah: 

TIME wants to be applauded by Taylor fans... This should be "Movement of the year", not "Person of the year".

[this is a test to see whether my sig works]

HolyFool   Paws Up 774
HolyFool
1 hour ago, gagagoogoose said:

“OMG, my reputation is ruined! RIP my reputation! Buy my album 'Reputation' on iTunes"

Streaming?

"OMG, streaming ruins the music industry. Artists work hard for this! Music should not be free!"

First of all, Taylor does not deserve to be POY. I agree she isn’t one who has spoken out this year. However, she is not shallow like you are making her out to be. If anyone is begging for people to buy her music, it’s KP with that whole bon appetite challenge shiz. 

In Taylor’s magazine she talks about how people will make up crap about her and that’s exactly what you’re doing. Don’t come for her just cause she’s blowing your fave out of the water with her sales.

RAMROD   Paws Up 28,729
RAMROD

Y'all can actually move ahead to the TIME page on why Taylor Swift do, but here, I'll make it easy for y'all

"Taylor Swift says she was made to feel bad about the consequences that her harasser faced. After she complained about a Denver radio DJ named David Mueller, who reached under her skirt and grabbed her rear end, Mueller was fired. He sued Swift for millions in damages. She countersued for a symbolic $1 and then testified about the incident in August. Mueller's lawyer asked her, on the witness stand, whether she felt bad that she'd gotten him fired.

"I'm not going to let you or your client make me feel in any way that this is my fault," she told the lawyer. "I'm being blamed for the unfortunate events of his life that are a product of his decisions. Not mine." (Mueller said he would appeal.)

In an interview with TIME, Swift says that moment on the stand fueled her indignation. "I figured that if he would be brazen enough to assault me under these risky circumstances," she says, "imagine what he might do to a vulnerable, young artist if given the chance." Like the five women gathered at that echoing soundstage in San Francisco, and like all of the dozens, then hundreds, then millions of women who came forward with their own stories of harassment, she was done feeling intimidated. Actors and writers and journalists and dishwashers and fruit pickers alike: they'd had enough. What had manifested as shame exploded into outrage. Fear became fury."

• Like 6
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 2
ɟıɹǝsʇɐɹʇǝɹ¡ ʇʍısʇǝp 'ɟıɹǝsʇɐɹʇǝɹ ɐ ɯ,ı ıןןnsʇɹɐʇǝp¡ pɐuƃǝɹ 'ɐppıɔʇǝp ɟǝɐɹ ʇɥǝ ɯ,ı ıusʇıƃɐʇoɹ¡ ,dnuʞıu 'sʇɐɹʇǝɹ ʇɹonqןǝ ʇɥǝ ɯ,ı

BELINDA POP   Paws Up 1,120
BELINDA POP

The Silence Breakers 

Movie stars are supposedly nothing like you and me. They're svelte, glamorous, self-­possessed. They wear dresses we can't afford and live in houses we can only dream of. Yet it turns out that—in the most painful and personal ways—movie stars are more like you and me than we ever knew.

person-of-year-2017-time-magazine-cover1

Taylor Swift says she was made to feel bad about the consequences that her harasser faced. After she complained about a Denver radio DJ named David Mueller, who reached under her skirt and grabbed her rear end, Mueller was fired. He sued Swift for millions in damages. She countersued for a symbolic $1 and then testified about the incident in August. Mueller's lawyer asked her, on the witness stand, whether she felt bad that she'd gotten him fired.

"I'm not going to let you or your client make me feel in any way that this is my fault," she told the lawyer. "I'm being blamed for the unfortunate events of his life that are a product of his decisions. Not mine." (Mueller said he would appeal.)

In an interview with TIME, Swift says that moment on the stand fueled her indignation. "I figured that if he would be brazen enough to assault me under these risky circumstances," she says, "imagine what he might do to a vulnerable, young artist if given the chance." Like the five women gathered at that echoing soundstage in San Francisco, and like all of the dozens, then hundreds, then millions of women who came forward with their own stories of harassment, she was done feeling intimidated. Actors and writers and journalists and dishwashers and fruit pickers alike: they'd had enough. What had manifested as shame exploded into outrage. Fear became fury.

Spoiler

"When I testified, I had already been in court all week and had to watch this man's attorney bully, badger and harass my team including my mother over inane details and ridiculous minutiae, accusing them, and me, of lying," Swift said. "My mom was so upset after her cross-examination, she was physically too ill to come to court the day I was on the stand.

"I was angry. In that moment, I decided to forego any courtroom formalities and just answer the questions the way it happened. This man hadn’t considered any formalities when he assaulted me, and his lawyer didn’t hold back on my mom -- why should I be polite? I’m told it was the most amount of times the word “ass” has ever been said in Colorado Federal Court." 

"I would tell people who find themselves in this situation that there is a great deal of blame placed on the victims in cases of sexual harassment and assault. You could be blamed for the fact that it happened, for reporting it and blamed for how you reacted. You might be made to feel like you’re overreacting, because society has made this stuff seem so casual. My advice is that you not blame yourself and do not accept the blame others will try to place on you."

you can read the rest of the stories here: http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2017-silence-breakers/

Edited by BELINDA POP
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 3

GypsyBabe   Paws Up 12,322
GypsyBabe
1 hour ago, VOLANTIS said:

Her old self, or rather.. about her passing.. :rip: 

anigif_enhanced-31140-1414629088-27.gif?

Oh I forgot that she died and was risen. :ladyhaha:

• LMAO 1

ItsTommyBitch   Paws Up 8,970
ItsTommyBitch

Honestly, can we just acknowledge that Taylor did win a case of sexual assault this year? Even if she is basically silent on every thing else relevant...

The other women on this cover deserve the same respect and coverage. Listen to their stories, read the interviews. Don't get boggled down on Taylor's star power and any hate or love you might have for her. The topic is much too large and too important to be derailed by her :smh:

(What was Time thinking :saladga: )

• Like 8
私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

VOLANTIS   Paws Up 9,954
VOLANTIS
7 minutes ago, GypsyBabe said:

Oh I forgot that she died and was risen. :ladyhaha:

TIME worthy. :air: Our fave is shaking. 

• LMAO 1
I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

ZiggyZiggs   Paws Up 15,650
ZiggyZiggs

im sorry but taylor isnt a silence breaker, she's ALWAYS silent and never speaks out. about anything. (cuz she knows she's goin to lose a lot of her album buyers) hell even for the sexual assault case (which i commend her for, good on you!) she communicated through her lawyers. she took the pig that groped her to court, but she is in no way a 'silence breaker' there are many more deserving women who actually spoke out and endangered their careers and their livelihood who deserve her spot. where's rose mcgowen? kesha? calling taylor a silence breaker is offensive to women who actually spoke out and faced the repercussions. 

i feel about this the same way i felt when time magazine put selena gomez on the cover of women who are changing the world just cuz she got a 100 million followers on instagram :saladga: 

Edited by ZiggyZiggs
  • Like 11
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3
Acceptance

ryanripley   Paws Up 59,843
ryanripley

i was going to make a thread asking if people felt kesha was wrongfully not included in this, but i guess this only counts for 2017

as amazing as this is, i think kesha deserved at least a nod for putting her career on the line

• Like 8
  • YAAAS 1
https://goo.gl/wFxoYL

SlaeUrAnus   Paws Up 10,170
SlaeUrAnus
1 minute ago, ryanripley said:

i was going to make a thread asking if people felt kesha was wrongfully not included in this, but i guess this only counts for 2017

as amazing as this is, i think kesha deserved at least a nod for putting her career on the line

Exactly.

With Dr Lukes connections, power and money, Kesha's career could have been destroyed to the point of no return, but she took him on and (rightfully) won.

• Like 5
Open Up Your Heart And Your Mind To Me.

GypsyBabe   Paws Up 12,322
GypsyBabe
3 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Honestly, can we just acknowledge that Taylor did win a case of sexual assault this year? Even if she is basically silent on every thing else relevant...

The other women on this cover deserve the same respect and coverage. Listen to their stories, read the interviews. Don't get boggled down on Taylor's star power and any hate or love you might have for her. The topic is much too large and too important to be derailed by her :smh:

(What was Time thinking :saladga: )

This is very true. We should remember the other worthy women that share the cover with her and not solely focus on Taylor and whether or not she should have been there. 

Time was thinking that they want to sell copies and Taylor would help them do it...

• Like 1