Jump to content
A Star Is Born
politics

2018 Russia Presidential Election

Featured Posts

River   Paws Up 17,594
River

But Put(it)in will win anyway:awkney:

  • Sad 1
I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bumblebee   Paws Up 2,525
bumblebee

 

@calmar

Well obvious that could work, but like Nabokov wrote, such translation doesn't do justice to this peculiar division that exists in the Russian language.

By saying sky blue or navy blue or light blue we don't draw the semantic border thick enough to underline that голубой and синий don't share the same word root. 

What's more difficult, we can say both, светло-голубой and светло-синий, which in English would mean light-light-blue and light-navy-blue :duck:

Edited by bumblebee
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bumblebee   Paws Up 2,525
bumblebee
4 minutes ago, River said:

But Put(it)in will win anyway:awkney:

Well in point of fact it is not guaranteed that it will be he who will run for the President. The chances are high as f**k, but it's also likely that he will step down for one of his friends to take the office :usrs: That's what many people secretly hope for :classy:

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
calmar   Paws Up 9,738
calmar
5 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

 

@calmar

Well obvious that could work, but like Nabokov wrote, such translation doesn't do justice to this peculiar division that exists in the Russian language.

By saying sky blue or navy blue or light blue we don't draw the semantic border thick enough to underline that голубой and синий don't share the same word root. 

What's more difficult, we can say both, светло-голубой and светло-синий, which in English would mean light-light-blue and light-navy-blue :duck:

I mean it's just for the purposes of your post, not for trying to permanently come up with a solution. There isn't one since there is only one primary color in my language for what happens to be two in yours. And in Hungarian, there's two words for what we would both consider red. So :shrug: 

  • Love 1
俺の勝利は揺るぎない

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuckles   Paws Up 1,105
Chuckles

Wow this was a really interesting read. I love to now the politics of other countries different from mine. It's interesting how he has never been in full dictatorship mode by keeping the Houses in the government. 

My question: Who is brave enough to be candidate for presidency? Will they go against Putin again or will he finally withdraw from the position?

  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
River   Paws Up 17,594
River
2 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

Well in point of fact it is not guaranteed that it will be he who will run for the President. The chances are high as f**k, but it's also likely that he will step down for one of his friends to take the office :usrs: That's what many people secretly hope for :classy:

I hope a left person will be elected..

idk the lgbt situation there is so bad that any Putin minion will keep on making things worst..

  • Like 2
I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bumblebee   Paws Up 2,525
bumblebee
9 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

Wow this was a really interesting read. I love to now the politics of other countries different from mine. It's interesting how he has never been in full dictatorship mode by keeping the Houses in the government. 

My question: Who is brave enough to be candidate for presidency? Will they go against Putin again or will he finally withdraw from the position?

The bravest candidate is Alexey Navalny. He was a runner for the election of Moscow mayor (got 27% of votes or something ) and is now leading a massive public campaign for Presidency. His brother has been accused of tax evasion and financial fraud and been sentenced to years in prison. Alexey was charged, too, and found guilty, but was not sent to prison. According to Russian law, Mr. Navalny can't become a candidate because of having been found guilty in a criminal court case, but he draws decent crowds in all the cities he visits and in March his exposé of the Prime Minister stirred massive protests, with thousands of people on the streets in major cities. Mr. Navalny thinks he will be registered as a candidate.

Also, Mrs. Ksenia Sobchak, the daughter of Putin's main political mentor, said she would run and is already campaigning against Putin. 

The others are expected to announce their candidacy soon. 

Edited by bumblebee
  • Like 3

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bumblebee   Paws Up 2,525
bumblebee
11 minutes ago, calmar said:

I mean it's just for the purposes of your post, not for trying to permanently come up with a solution. There isn't one since there is only one primary color in my language for what happens to be two in yours. And in Hungarian, there's two words for what we would both consider red. So :shrug: 

I'm sorry I thought you spoke Russian and you knew the better translation :sharon: 

Well anyway, all blue, of all shades, are his allies in Parliament  on the graphs:gum: 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
calmar   Paws Up 9,738
calmar
Just now, bumblebee said:

I'm sorry I thought you spoke Russian and you knew the better translation :sharon: 

Well anyway, all blue, of all shades, are his allies in Parliament  on the graphs:gum: 

I'm just a language fan, I'm nowhere near fluent in Russian :sharon: I would starve if I ever went there, all I can realistically say is hello :sharon: 

  • Love 1
俺の勝利は揺るぎない

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bumblebee   Paws Up 2,525
bumblebee
1 minute ago, calmar said:

I'm just a language fan, I'm nowhere near fluent in Russian :sharon: I would starve if I ever went there, all I can realistically say is hello :sharon: 

:kara:

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuckles   Paws Up 1,105
Chuckles
40 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

The bravest candidate is Alexey Navalny. He was a runner for the election of Moscow mayor (got 27% of votes or something ) and is now leading a massive public campaign for Presidency. His brother has been accused of tax evasion and financial fraud and been sentenced to years in prison. Alexey was charged, too, and found guilty, but was not sent to prison. According to Russian law, Mr. Navalny can't become a candidate because of having been found guilty in a criminal court case, but he draws decent crowds in all the cities he visits and in March his exposé of the Prime Minister stirred massive protests, with thousands of people on the streets in major cities. Mr. Navalny thinks he will be registered as a candidate.

Also, Mrs. Ksenia Sobchak, the daughter of Putin's main political mentor, said she would run and is already campaigning against Putin. 

The others are expected to announce their candidacy soon. 

A woman against Putin? That will get interesting.

  • Like 3

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JustinTrudeau   Paws Up 1,656
JustinTrudeau

Thank you for the background information. My (Ukrainian) family is strongly opposed to Putin, but I never had a chance to understand what he did. Wikipedia pages and new articles confused me before.

This will be interesting to observe, and in the same year as the World Cup tournament. I don't know if that will be significant but things can get political quickly. I do remember how Ukraine was invaded days after the Olympics in Sochi. 

  • Love 1
I fell down the stairs once as an actor.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bumblebee   Paws Up 2,525
bumblebee
15 minutes ago, JustinTrudeau said:

Thank you for the background information. My (Ukrainian) family is strongly opposed to Putin, but I never had a chance to understand what he did. Wikipedia pages and new articles confused me before.

This will be interesting to observe, and in the same year as the World Cup tournament. I don't know if that will be significant but things can get political quickly. I do remember how Ukraine was invaded days after the Olympics in Sochi. 

 

You're welcome ! :hug:

I agree that things can get political with sport events, but I'd be watching out for Olympics again, for the World Cup is scheduled after the election. 

I remember Sochi Games, too. When Sochi Games ended and the Crimea was invaded,  I was thinking like: "there is no way Purin would be doing it, he is not stupid, he must know such a step would not pass without consequences, he would never... " And when it turned out those were Russian troops, I was like :madge:

  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bumblebee   Paws Up 2,525
bumblebee
32 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

A woman against Putin? That will get interesting.

That's already causing so many headlines and she was even allowed to debate the main conservative TV host on a nationwide TV channel on the issue of Putib and the debates were the Witness-level kind of mess :selena:

  • Shook 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×