Lady Gaga - The Fame
🎸 🎤 🤘 JOANNE TOUR TICKETS ON SALE NOW 🤘 🎤 🎸
society

Austrian police raids toy store over Lego Ninja #burqaban

Featured Posts

lego   Paws Up 37,261
lego

41059219_403.jpg

Austrian police raided a Lego store in the capital, Vienna, on Friday, in the latest bizarre case surrounding enforcement of new anti-burqa laws.

Police rushed to the toy store after receiving a complaint that a red Lego Ninja was violating a ban on wearing face coverings, leading to a "heated" argument,  Kronen Zeitung newspaper reported.

No fines were issued to the woman wearing the costume after she took off the head covering, the Vienna police said on Twitter, because the concealment of the face was within the scope of her "professional occupation."

Sharks, shawls and rabbits  

The incident came nearly two weeks after police intervened against the Austrian parliament's mascot, Lesko. The long-eared rabbit was stopped from doing a video shoot with children during an open house ahead of the national independence day holiday. No fines were issued.

41059312_403.jpg

Austria's parliamentary mascot Lesko was targeted by police in the ban

After the scandal, the head of the Austrian police union, Hermann Greylinger told Austria's OE24 newspaper that he supported scrapping the new law. "It is unenforceable. The law was not written as a burqa ban for constitutional reasons and now this crap is happening," he said.   

In another strange case, a man dressed as a shark to promote a new outlet of the McShark electronics store in Vienna was fined €150 ($176) after he refused to remove his shark head.

On October 11, a university student on her way home was stopped by police in Vienna and fined €50 because her scarf covered her face. German news weeklyFokus reported that police issued the fine because the 28-year-old argued about the law and found it "laughable," an account the student disputes.

http://amp.dw.com/en/austrian-burqa-ban-police-raid-toy-store-over-a-lego-ninja/a-41059204

Here’s the discriminatory law in practice... :awkney: 

• LMAO 4
No I never dreamed that I'd love somebody like you✨ And I never dreamed That I'd lose somebody like you, No

RAMROD   Paws Up 24,189
RAMROD

Does Austrian politicians not aware with a thing called ninja? And that it is not the same as Burqa? :oprah:

• Like 2
My right wing is flapping. My left one is gray

Stefani Gaga   Paws Up 3,146
Stefani Gaga

What is wrong with burqas or hijabs? :awkney:

Edited by Stefani Gaga
I’m A mEsS! sTaY aWaY fRoM mE, mY eIgHt PeTs AnD mY bLuE bIsCuItS, yOu FrEaK!

lego   Paws Up 37,261
lego
4 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Does Austrian politicians not aware with a thing called ninja? And that it is not the same as Burqa? :oprah:

3 minutes ago, Stefani Gaga said:

What is wrong with burqas or hijabs? :awkney:

All these countries trying to ban niqabs and burqas, claim it’s not islamophobic or discriminatory, it’s only “safety reasons”. So all the face coverings go under the ban and then these stupid things happen. You get fined if you cover your mouth with scarf in cold weather.

They just don’t have the guts to say real reason. Or it’s against their constitution. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
No I never dreamed that I'd love somebody like you✨ And I never dreamed That I'd lose somebody like you, No

Bloody Grammys   Paws Up 3,573
Bloody Grammys

Wow Austria been hearing the news lately and i'm so sorry :toofunny:

don't mess wit the sloth

Red   Paws Up 52,600
Red

I think I completed my quota of human stupidity for the day

ask me anything :hor: http://gagadaily.com/forums/topic/249494-ask-red-anything/

Supersonic   Paws Up 25,216
Supersonic
14 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Banning the burqa or niqab specifically, would be unconstitutional because it specifically targets religious items. They tried to evade that and phrase the law like "We're banning any sort of disguise that obscures your face and prevents other people from looking into your face." Cuz that's like the major argument for the ban ("We can't trust you, if we can't read the emotion on your face.")

However, by phrasing the law they have criminalized wearing costume head pieces, scarves altogether and even clown noses. :air:

• Love 1
Majestic, the future is electric.

tomsches   Paws Up 3,197
tomsches

When I read this on my FB newsfeed I thought it was a joke. Anyway, this is why I was against this vote. As much as I'm against the Burqa, the law we have in Austria is quite nonsensical. If they wanted a Burqa ban then they should have called it a Burqa ban. When I'm cold in summer, I should have the right to wear a scarf. The police or the government can't decide for me when it's cold enough to allow my face to be covered by a scarf. And now, the mascots and lego figures? Really? You think they are a threat to security? 

• Like 1

Gabe   Paws Up 137
Gabe

Quebec just passed a "head cover" ban this friday, this is becoming a thing.

ZacharyMark   Paws Up 6,473
ZacharyMark

Look for this to happen why more often. That's the reality of this law.

RAMROD   Paws Up 24,189
RAMROD
41 minutes ago, lego said:

All these countries trying to ban niqabs and burqas, claim it’s not islamophobic or discriminatory, it’s only “safety reasons”. So all the face coverings go under the ban and then these stupid things happen. You get fined if you cover your mouth with scarf in cold weather.

They just don’t have the guts to say real reason. Or it’s against their constitution. 

31 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Banning the burqa or niqab specifically, would be unconstitutional because it specifically targets religious items. They tried to evade that and phrase the law like "We're banning any sort of disguise that obscures your face and prevents other people from looking into your face." Cuz that's like the major argument for the ban ("We can't trust you, if we can't read the emotion on your face.")

However, by phrasing the law they have criminalized wearing costume head pieces, scarves altogether and even clown noses. :air:

So, that would mean no more Krampus Parade in Austria? :toofunny:

My right wing is flapping. My left one is gray

benKo   Paws Up 1,681
benKo

But she didn't get fined tho... It's just an idiot who called the police, as a joke or because he didn't know that it is allowed in this case. 

lego   Paws Up 37,261
lego
2 minutes ago, benKo said:

But she didn't get fined tho... It's just an idiot who called the police, as a joke or because he didn't know that it is allowed in this case. 

Because she eventually removed the head piece and you can see from pictures she looks embarrassed. This is gonna happen more often now, waste of police time and resources, congrats. 

Also why is it allowed in this case? Can you explain with logic? Where’s the “I can’t see your face, how can we communicate” argument?

Also did you miss other cases? 

In another strange case, a man dressed as a shark to promote a new outlet of the McShark electronics store in Vienna was fined €150 ($176) after he refused to remove his shark head.

On October 11, a university student on her way home was stopped by police in Vienna and fined €50 because her scarf covered her face. German news weekly Fokus reported that police issued the fine because the 28-year-old argued about the law and found it "laughable," an account the student disputes.

• Like 1