Lady Gaga - FAME
🎸 🎤 🤘 JOANNE TOUR TICKETS ON SALE NOW 🤘 🎤 🎸
science

New Battery Technology May Help Renewables

Featured Posts

Economy   Paws Up 5,959
Economy

https://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Renewable-Energy/MIT-Unveils-Game-Changing-Battery-Breakthrough.html

A new battery technology for energy storage using disolved sulfer may reduce power storage costs by 80% bringing the $100 per KW/H down to $20 per KW/H

This will make it easier to increase reliance on Wind and Solar as these sources of energy have the issue of being intermitent and cannot reliably make up more than a certain percentage of power grid

with cheaper and more effective power storage, more renewable energy can be peoduced and we can store surplus generated to tap into when not enough is being generated!

• Like 3
jesse_batista

Goosey   Paws Up 3,015
Goosey

Does this mean we don't need Site C?

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

Economy   Paws Up 5,959
Economy
9 hours ago, Goosey said:

Does this mean we don't need Site C?

What is that?

jesse_batista

Woolfsmck   Paws Up 691
Woolfsmck

I read about a low tech energy storage system that utilizes 'any' sorce...

They pump water to a reservoir on top off a mountain ... As electricity is needed they release it down to the turbines ...

When solar or wind is used to pump the water, no emmisions are released and the varible demand for electricity isn't impacted by the irregularity problems associated with green energy.. 

Montana is building a prototype now...8-)

Edited by Woolfsmck
  • Like 1
like a cat in a sil, I watch life, moving&still, proceed across my face, I leave no trace.My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true

Economy   Paws Up 5,959
Economy
15 hours ago, Woolfsmck said:

I read about a low tech energy storage system that utilizes 'any' sorce...

They pump water to a reservoir on top off a mountain ... As electricity is needed they release it down to the turbines ...

When solar or wind is used to pump the water, no emmisions are released and the varible demand for electricity isn't impacted by the irregularity problems associated with green energy.. 

Montana is building a prototype now...8-)

Interesting. But given the extra has ro be pumped all the time some of the energy produced is lost that way so im sure it adds to cost as well since u gotta produce extra

Also not everyplace will have mountainta to make this feasable

but if it works for Montana hurray!

jesse_batista

Woolfsmck   Paws Up 691
Woolfsmck
6 hours ago, Economy said:

Interesting. But given the extra has ro be pumped all the time some of the energy produced is lost that way so im sure it adds to cost as well since u gotta produce extra

Yeah , the cost of pumping water up to the reservoir is lost...but the theory is that the energy not being stored goes to waste...so the trade off is that the additional energy cost spent moving water up hill is stored rather than wasted...

Also, no chemical batteries or fossil fuel need be used...but can be since coal plants running during low demand waste energy too.  .

• Like 1
like a cat in a sil, I watch life, moving&still, proceed across my face, I leave no trace.My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true

Woolfsmck   Paws Up 691
Woolfsmck
6 hours ago, Economy said:

Yeah , the cost of pumping water up to the reservoir is lost...but the theory is that the energy not being stored goes to waste...so the trade off is that the additional energy cost spent moving water up hill is stored rather than wasted...

Also, no chemical batteries or fossil fuel need be used...but can be since coal plants running during low demand waste energy too.  .

Simple math....

100 kwh produced 

80 kwh sold

20 kwh pump water (stored kwh)

Now demand spikes or wind drops or it's cloudy....

80 kwh produced

100 kwh sold

20 kwh used from water storage...

Hence waste energy is reduced and it's green friendly

• Like 1