💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Is Joanne bigger than BTW in the US?

Arizona Sky

Featured Posts

Arizona Sky

Call me delusional, but I think it might be. Clearly BTW is bigger WW, but Joanne held up with it in the US. Singles wise, BTW/TEOG are probably bigger than MR, so BTW wins this round. Album sales wise, BTW sold 2.2 million copies in its first 12 months and Joanne has done 580,000. Technically BTW sold 1.8M though because of the Amazon discount. Joanne sales in a 2016/2017 climate are about equivalent to BTW's sales in a 2011 climate. Not to mention Joanne is still charting on the BB200 at #103 a year later and is bound to pass BTW's 55 weeks spent on that chart. They are about equal in this category. Tour wise, Joanne has the edge. Although we only got a few dates due to the cancellation, the BTWB's average gross per date in the US was $1.3 million. The JWT's average US gross so far is $2.9 million. Here is where I think Joanne has an advantage, her image and the general public's perception of her is so much better now than in the BTW era. Back then, everyone thought of her as the crazy girl who wore crazy costumes and now, they respect her as an artist with talent. My point is that Joanne faired well in the US especially considering it wasn't coming off a TF/M sized era like BTW. Clearly she's got room for improvement WW though. So which era do you think was bigger in the US, Born This Way or Joanne?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LIKELADYAGAGA

You bring up really good points. I have never seen Gaga more popular than the entire month after the superbowl. Literally everybody and their moms were talking about her and her music.

LIKELADYAGAGA
1 minute ago, JR Gg said:

Born This Way was definitely bigger. She was everywhere :reductive:

Agreed but she was also everywhere in February-April 2017 too. BTW was a bigger peak though.

Just now, changingitup said:

Agreed but she was also everywhere in February-April 2017 too. BTW was a bigger peak though.

That was because of superbowl+ coachella. Although BTW did have intense promo:hor::giveup:

NIghtmareElm

BTW had hits but Gaga isn't falling off like she was during BTW.  She was way too overexposed during BTW and got more and mored hated.  Now she finally loved again and more respected than she has been in a long time.  It's like the opposite of BTW.  Joanne surprisingly has longevity.  Sucks that it only one semi hit.  I hardly ever hear people hating on her anymore except Britney and Madonna fans.  

I think Gaga will have a more successful pop after Joanne.  The transition will be a lot better.  She is way more mature now.

I think overall, more people talked about her during BTW, but I think she is way more respected now with Joanne, especially by the GP and non-millenials. 

I would say the Joanne tour is more successful. For the BTWB show at Tacoma Dome, I was in the 200 level and my seats ended up being relocated because they didn't sell enough up there :(

For Joanne tour, it was the same venue, Tacoma Dome, and I was on the floor (which was AMAZING) but I could see that it was PACKED and they even sold seats behind the stage. Also, on Ticketmaster, months before the show, I could see that it was practically sold out. 

TCHIKITAH

Dude BTW was massive, it was pretty much everywhere,posters and promotions will be on the subway, buses, walls, your neighborhoods walls. It can’t be compared to Joanne even if we’re including sales 

1 hour ago, FloatWithME said:

Joanne surprisingly has longevity.

Not surprised tbh. I've been saying that Joanne is her most timeless album since the sounds on Joanne age better than most of her albums.

BTW had massive promo and events, but Joanne is when people (myself included) respected her. TFM/BTW is her peak but she was disliked by many and lots of her fame came from her avant garde and odd outfits. Joanne proved herself worthy to the GP. It wasn't big during the first few months, but SB+Coachella kinda reflected her new image and made her popular (and much more liked). Also JWT>BTWB. Was much more popular (in the US at least).

1 hour ago, FloatWithME said:

I think Gaga will have a more successful pop after Joanne.  The transition will be a lot better.  She is way more mature now.

This is why I want her to stick to more mature music. It'd be a shame to form this amazing image (C2C/Joanne) just to throw it away the next era.

Delulu Rogers

BTW was much bigger than Joanne ever will be. She may have gained more respect this era but sales, singles, video views and exposure were way superior to what Joanne has. Not to mention Joanne also had the SB and coachella performances. Imagine how much worse MR, JWT or sales would have been without them. As much as I love Joanne, the SB and coachelle performances of her OLD hits saved the era 

monketsharona
3 hours ago, changingitup said:

You bring up really good points. I have never seen Gaga more popular than the entire month after the superbowl. Literally everybody and their moms were talking about her and her music.

After SB definitely, after the release of Joanne, no...

Archived