đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is the media still obsessed with ARTPOP?

Lokiy

Featured Posts

CautiousLurker

Well, first of all, ARTPOP is amazing - that's why people are still obsessed with it :classy:

It's impact was less obvious, especially at the time, but it definitely had one :lana:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brit4ever

People call it a flop, not because it did bad, but because it did worse than most of the albums released in 2013(but tbh, 2013 was a strong year), there were JT, Beyonce, Miley, P!nk and Katy debuting at #1 left and right with 500k + sales and Gaga was just there doing good. Considering that just 3 years ago(2010) she was bigger than the mentioned above combined, the numbers she pulled didn't seamed impressive at all. Add to that, that she was hated by the GP in 2013 and everyone looked at her as Madonna-wannabe weirdo and you get why ARTPOP was considered a flop. It realy made the impression of a flop, in 2013 I was still not a fan, but I remember Gaga being totaly overshadowed by P!nk, Katy and Miley, everyone talked about them and no no one seamed to care abot Gaga. 

Robinladen

ARTPOP is a flop in the same way that Witness is a flop. Still successful, but a big decline in the artists career. However ARTPOP and Bionic are iconic flops, while Younger Now is not even a sidenote in pop history.

bumblebee
49 minutes ago, Robinladen said:

ARTPOP is a flop in the same way that Witness is a flop. Still successful, but a big decline in the artists career. However ARTPOP and Bionic are iconic flops, while Younger Now is not even a sidenote in pop history.

This, this, and this one more time. I can't elaborate on Witness and ARTPOP comparison, since I've heard only three songs from witness and I've not followed the promo lane except through the messy gifs that appeared on the forum :interestinga:

ARTPOP was the first Gaga studio album that failed not only to get two times platinum, but even struggled to reach the platinum mark. We may all argue why it happened and debate on the reasons, but the facts are bitter: 

The Fame and The Fame Monster sold 6.3 million copies combined (appr. 3 millions each) and Born This Way sold 2.4 million copies. ARTPOP sold 768,000 copies in the US, which is a decline when compared to her previous efforts. 

ARTPOP is not a commercial failure. It was the ninth best selling album worlwide (IFPI) and it's hardly a failure :whitney: A gold certification in the USA is hardly a failure, too :queenga: But the album underperformed dramatically when compared to Gaga's own high standards :emma:

It was like the turning point of her career in some way. Prior to ARTPOP, she was a touring force, a radio force, an album seller and critic-favourite with 15 Grammy nominations. ARTPOP took the album-seller title away from her, and critics turned away, too, and that's why the media cherish this moment: it's Gaga at her most commercially vulenrable, it's the moment of the star's collapse, of the "how the mighty have fallen" vibe. Everybody who was sceptical of Gaga or didn't like her were waiting for this moment, and it came; and people who got tired of her jumped on the hate train when offered free seats :lolga: 

What I adore about Gaga, though, is her spirit and her attitude to stick to what she created and to bleed for it and to protect it until the very last moment no matter how commercially successful it is. She has given so many great things with ARTPOP and I can't imagine her discography without this record :firega:

52 minutes ago, Robinladen said:

but Malibu is the best song of 2017.

8 hours ago, Rumours1977 said:

Notice how all the flops they mentioned are albums of female artists...

Where’s Paula by Robin Thicke? 

Cause no one even remembers this lmao

TBH Joanne was more of a flop than ARTPOP.

Only Two singles (same as ARTPOP) and only one of them hitting platinum because of the biggest promo spot? The album still hasn't even broke 1 million yet?

Atleast Applause hit 3x Platinum with little promo, DWUW was a top 20 radio hit and platinum. 

It's all perspective. Only reason that Joanne is seen as a huge hit is because Gaga is liked more by the media at the moment. The whole era was painted as a huge success, but really didn't sell anymore than her "flop" era. ARTPOP was just viewed as a flop because she was high and messy and extra AF.

BYE

On 10/10/2017 at 5:25 PM, Phlop said:

TBH Joanne was more of a flop than ARTPOP.

Only Two singles (same as ARTPOP) and only one of them hitting platinum because of the biggest promo spot? The album still hasn't even broke 1 million yet?

thought of this quote.

"Alienating yourself from your friends is hard work. Don't give up! Facts & common sense observations can upset people of all world views! "

http://www.jessicamystic.com/

This video has only 16,000 but is great.:bye:

On 10/10/2017 at 7:04 AM, bumblebee said:

It was like the turning point of her career in some way. Prior to ARTPOP, she was a touring force, a radio force, an album seller and critic-favourite with 15 Grammy nominations. ARTPOP took the album-seller title away from her, and critics turned away, too, and that's why the media cherish this moment: it's Gaga at her most commercially vulenrable, it's the moment of the star's collapse, of the "how the mighty have fallen" vibe. Everybody who was sceptical of Gaga or didn't like her were waiting for this moment, and it came; and people who got tired of her jumped on the hate train when offered free seats :lolga: 

I agree. Gaga was the biggest thing since Britney Spears. She was over the top, weird, but you couldn't really hate her because she was dominating AND was super talented. I feel like people were jealous and sick of her. I remember the audience reaction from the VMA when she did "You and I". You could tell her peers were just sick of her, despite the amount of effort and talent in that performance. ARTPOP finally gave people a chance to drag her.

People don't call 4 a flop even though it sold half of what IASF sold. Because the general public never hated Beyonce like that.

Also if you look at just the numbers and statistics, it wasn't a flop. It's the whole backlash that really make it look like a flop.

Archived