Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Cardi B Only 2nd WOC to Have a #1 Hit This Decade

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

JusticeforVenus
8 minutes ago, holy scheisse said:

To ignore race in any context is to invalidate the existence and experience of racial minorities. colorblindness is (unintentional) ignorance girlfriend

Well, art teachs me more than THE SKIN discrimination u want me to learn. I will never read a book for the color of the AUTHOR'S SKIN. I dont care, he/she may be purple, green, pink. I DONT CARE, I know that this was made by a HUMAN being and that s it. ART does not live for the AUTHOR'S SKIN COLOR. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, that juju said:

it's only easy to "piss" anyone off because the right has little to no perceptive consciousness outside of their own experiences. If it doesn't effect them directly, then it isn't a problem - it simply doesn't exist. They can't wrap their heads around it potentially being an issue outside of themselves. Which is the case with a majority of social issues, if it doesn't effect you, then you're predispositioned to not care. 

And that mindset is harmful.

this is pretty true

RichAssPiss
2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

when did i ever say not to recognize the accomplishment made?  Please quote me where I said that

The post is about recognizing women of color and their achievements in music, especially since it is shockingly rare for a woman of color to top the Hot 100, and you post that it is about "music not skin color." That comment directly undermines the original post. I'm sure you know exactly what you are doing. It's just a sad approach to take. 

Just now, RichAssPiss said:

The post is about recognizing women of color and their achievements in music, especially since it is shockingly rare for a woman of color to top the Hot 100, and you post that it is about "music not skin color." That comment directly undermines the original post. I'm sure you know exactly what you are doing. It's just a sad approach to take. 

no i was replying to someone who said someone was ignorant

32 minutes ago, that juju said:

it's only easy to "piss" anyone off because the right has little to no perceptive consciousness outside of their own experiences. If it doesn't effect them directly, then it isn't a problem - it simply doesn't exist. They can't wrap their heads around it potentially being an issue outside of themselves. Which is the case with a majority of social issues, if it doesn't effect you, then you're predispositioned to not care. 

Bitch go the **** off! Yes.

Earthling
56 minutes ago, JusticeforVenus said:

Well, art teachs me more than THE SKIN discrimination u want me to learn. I will never read a book for the color of the AUTHOR'S SKIN. I dont care, he/she may be purple, green, pink. I DONT CARE, I know that this was made by a HUMAN being and that s it. ART does not live for the AUTHOR'S SKIN COLOR. 

Except art does not exist within a vacuum, it is created within certain sociopolitical and historical contexts.

You can not fully appreciate the art or the artist if you don't take the context of the work into account, which includes the artist's racial experience. 

*she switched baristas. ☕️

PartySick

Can I just say that I miss the days when racism was thought of as outright hate and oppression rather than "this color artist doesn't get enough #1's or Grammy awards and that's racist" :rip: I miss when it was enough to just not hate anyone else for stupid reasons and people didn't let "microaggressions" or non-malicious ignorance affect them.

Spoiler

I am lost in the age of the social tbh :wtfga:

Anyway, good for Cardi. An achievement :applause: I still haven't properly heard any of her music but she hates Trump and seems to be a cool person (and a Gaga stan :diane:) so I like her already :diane:

🖤

loathereality

we have beyonce who is   the top of eeverything atm

we all now hot 100 is not really that important when it comes to the efforts of an artist

i feel like you are exaggerating 

also, i do not know any asian  (which is a big minority group in states)  number 1 songs, leaving that alone and talking about 2 black number ones is also ignoring other minorities which can be easily seen as racist

sorry :nails:

2 minutes ago, loathereality said:

we have beyonce who is   the top of eeverything atm

we all now hot 100 is not really that important when it comes to the efforts of an artist

i feel like you are exaggerating 

also, i do not know any asian  (which is a big minority group in states)  number 1 songs, leaving that alone and talking about 2 black number ones is also ignoring other minorities which can be easily seen as racist

sorry :nails:

i mean which albums had the most critical acclaim the last few years?

Supersonic
12 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Can I just say that I miss the days when racism was thought of as outright hate and oppression rather than "this color artist doesn't get enough #1's or Grammy awards and that's racist" :rip: I miss when it was enough to just not hate anyone else for stupid reasons and people didn't let "microaggressions" or non-malicious ignorance affect them.

Reveal hidden contents

I am lost in the age of the social tbh :wtfga:

Anyway, good for Cardi. An achievement :applause: I still haven't properly heard any of her music but she hates Trump and seems to be a cool person (and a Gaga stan :diane:) so I like her already :diane:

Missing those days is dumb as f*ck because it denies and challenges the factual reality that "racism" is not just "hate", it's systematic oppression that runs through every inch of the Western society, even the entertainment industry. Sorry not sorry. This is not just some petty stan wars thing. In literally 7 years, only two black women managed to top the charts despite Black women being the trailblazers and trendsetters of contemporary music. The lack of black women on top is a clear representation of a growing resentment against black women, especially compared to the decade before where literally in the year 2000 alone, 6 black women charted at #1 on the BB Hot 100.

StrawberryBlond

There are less black women in America than white women and therefore, there will be a lot less in the music industry. This is why it's rare to see black women at the top. Women are also repeatedly kept down in the rap game. Few even make it to 3 albums. Missy Elliott and Trina are the only rap females in history to be working on a sixth studio album. It's an issue of gender, not race. Black men top the charts easily (usually with much worse songs), so clearly, race is not the issue here. It's sexism. I just wish the first rap female to take the #1 spot had a better song than Bodak Yellow, but it's a start. We were at a stage where it looked like there would be no solo female #1's at all this year, so suddenly having 2 back-to-back is an achievement for women regardless of what we think of their material.

2 hours ago, that juju said:

Much of the most profitable music is made by POC, and yet they are seldom awarded or recognized for it. :oprah: 

This is factually incorrect. So many black artists are living the good life from all the money they made from music, they're having their albums critically praised, there was once a year where every #1 on the BB100 was by black artists singing black music, they're some of the most awarded people in Grammy history and are some of the most respected artists of all time. Don't base your judgement on what SJWs want you to believe. Look at the facts and the reality is very different.

1 hour ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

the only ones i see fuming are people who are bothered by the idea of more representation in pop music, tho?

Rather, it's just people annoyed that the top spot couldn't be taken by a better song.

1 hour ago, that juju said:

It's possible to piss someone off if they already look at issues outwith themselves but then are accused of not doing this. It's also possible to piss someone off when they won't look at the actual facts about race in the industry and what the true story actually is as opposed to what society wants them to believe. Black people are owning the music industry right now. I'm shocked that some people are actually questioning this.

PartySick
7 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Missing those days is dumb as f*ck because it denies and challenges the factual reality that "racism" is not just "hate", it's systematic oppression that runs through every inch of the Western society, even the entertainment industry. Sorry not sorry. This is not just some petty stan wars thing. In literally 7 years, only two black women managed to top the charts despite Black women being the trailblazers and trendsetters of contemporary music. The lack of black women on top is a clear representation of a growing resentment against black women, especially compared to the decade before where literally in the year 2000 alone, 6 black women charted at #1 on the BB Hot 100.

I mean, I see your points, they're not going over my head or anything but when I think of race related issues our society needs to fix, the top charting artists or music awards isn't exactly the first thing that comes to my mind :sweat:

Besides, the GP's taste is basic and bland anyway and most of those awards are bought or are given to people that don't deserve them. I'd attribute the dip in popular black artists to the fact that their music is usually more thought provoking. Or at least the artists that I listen to/have heard of are. That's why they don't chart. The GP wants easily digestible bops that travel from one ear to the other; in and out in under four minutes. That's why Taylor Swift is so big, that's why any Nicki collab usually scores a #1 (I think, I could be wrong, I haven't followed her in ages :sweat:), and that's why any song with a good beat but grade school level lyrical complexity with an unoriginal "indie girl/boy" voice will dominate the charts.

Spoiler

No shade meant :poot:

I'm just in the priorities club. I'm much more concerned with injustice in our penal system, educational system, or professional level bias against PoC. Oh, and that guy sitting in the White House. When put into perspective, this (the topic at hand) seems like a total non-issue.

🖤

14 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

...there was once a year where every #1 on the BB100 was by black artists singing black music...

I hope you're happy, I went looking for the year this happened and stumbled upon the massive cockblock that was Tik Tok in 2010. :cryga: 

Anyway, it was 2004 in case anyone else is wondering.

Archived