💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

How We Finally Got An Intimate Glimpse Of Lady Gaga

yASSsss

Featured Posts

yASSsss

-That first day almost didn’t happen at all. It took a series of cancellations and a lot of rescheduling for Gaga’s team to finally find a day for Moukarbel — whose previous work includes his documentary about internet celebrity Chris Crocker, Me @ the Zoo, and chronicling enigmatic artist Banksy’s Better Out Than In 2013 residency in Banksy Does New York — to come over and meet the global icon. She didn’t really want to have a documentary made, and she wasn’t shopping around for directors, but her manager felt she might connect with Moukarbel.

-That day, he filmed Lady Gaga in a series of captivatingly casual moments: sautéing chicken in her sweatpants, feeding her dogs, venting to the camera about a fight she was having with then-significant-other Taylor Kinney (“I just feel like my threshold for bullshit with men is…I don't have one anymore”), dancing in front of the fridge with her friends, then self-consciously noticing the camera and and jokingly waving it away. He had no idea the footage would end up serving as the first scenes of his film.

- Moukarbel fooled around with different title ideas — something with “monster” in the title, maybe a line about her reputation — but in the end settled on Gaga’s physical dimensions: Five Foot Two (singer Guy Lombardo croons the old song of the same name over a christening party as Gaga orders a drink at the bar: “Five foot two / Eyes of blue / Has anybody seen my gal?”). “So much of the film is about the expectations placed on her body, the limitations of her body,” he explained. “I needed [the title] to point to something more intimate.”

That theme of intimacy carries throughout the documentary. Moukarbel said he shot each scene to either draw the viewer closer to its subject, beckoning you in to whisper a secret, or emphasize the sudden space between you. During his year of editing hundreds of hours of footage, he discovered his story arc: Lady Gaga moving away from her private life and back into the spotlight. “She’s almost never alone, and I’m never alone with her again the way I was in the very beginning,” he said, referencing that first day in Malibu. By the film’s end, she’s just this little speck in the sky, flying high over the Super Bowl stadium. “I felt like that really represented how she traveled away from the camera and away from me and belongs to the world at the end.”

Read the full story here

Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine

JustaMonster
2 minutes ago, EdgeofTeeth said:

“Hundreds of hours of footage” ugh, I’d literally watch all of it :giveup:

Me too :selena: I want a FF2 ACT II with the rest of the footage :emma: 

Hands up to the sky, I'm about to fly!

misunderstood
18 minutes ago, EdgeofTeeth said:

“Hundreds of hours of footage” ugh, I’d literally watch all of it :giveup:

Same :(

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

This is a very interesting interview and I love the way he described the ending. I loved the way this documentary began and ended!  There's no way we won't eventually get some of the bonus footage. I don't know how much but I'll take 5 more hours at the very least! 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Great interview and I love the title and reference to the classic song, very fitting. :wub:

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Panchecco

watching the documentary for the first time I immediately thought of all the footage that got cut :diane:

I feel they really should have kept making the "Making Joanne" videos + they should have made a shorter documentary for the SB only

FFT could have still been released as a mixture of "Making Joanne" and the Super Bowl but with more focus on fibromyalgia and her struggles with it

Robo Ga
On 9/24/2017 at 0:03 PM, That J said:

I don't know how much but I'll take 5 more hours at the very least! 

:toofunny: "at the very least"

🤖⚡️

SilkSpectre
7 minutes ago, Panchecco said:

watching the documentary for the first time I immediately thought of all the footage that got cut :diane:

I feel they really should have kept making the "Making Joanne" videos + they should have made a shorter documentary for the SB only

FFT could have still been released as a mixture of "Making Joanne" and the Super Bowl but with more focus on fibromyalgia and her struggles with it

When the documentary came out I really thought we might see mor 'making of' which is why they quit the YouTube releases but we just saw the same footage that they showed for Ayo and MR. I'm still (probably naively) holding out for the rest of Making Joanne or at least a few more songs  :excited2: 

I was especially surprised we didn't see the making of PI given it's  video and promo was heavily focused on

Chromatislaps

I love 5F2. I really feel like I've seen her without all the layers of her personas. I lowkii hope we get Terry's ARTPOP documentary eventually...but I understand 5F2 was made in a time were she was in a somewhat better place/recovering from a hellish period. I think if she can clarify what played behind the scenes from TFM-end of the ARTPOP era, that all her decisions will make sense (they do already to some extent, now that I've seen 5F2).

Archived