💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Gaga's Illness is Not a Metaphor - Moving Film Review from The Atlantic

thehanyo

Featured Posts

thehanyo

During one excruciating flare-up shown in Five Foot Two, she sympathizes with less-privileged sufferers of the disorder: “Like, I don’t know what I’d ****in’ do if I didn’t have everybody here to help me.”

A few moments later, she’s looking straight into the camera. “Do I look pathetic?” she asks, tear-streaked, lying on a couch, a therapist massaging her. “I’m so embarrassed.” It’s a powerful moment because the stigma of pain is clearly part of the pain itself. But it’s also aesthetically striking. To answer Gaga’s question, she actually looks like she did in parts of the “Bad Romance” video—crying, stripped down, and oddly luminous. It’s a sign of fame’s power on the viewer: Whatever lengths she might go to put person over persona, the persona remains.

--

Her medical troubles would seem to retroactively add in a new layer, though it’s unclear when she received her fibromyalgia diagnosis, and little on the album can be heard as an explicit reference to illness. Certainly the lyrics about healing through love on her post-Joanne single, “The Cure,” now seem a lot less generic.

--

Inevitably, some will question her suffering—because she’s a woman, because of the nature of her sickness, and because of her job as a performer. But pain performed, as Jamison wrote, is still pain. And for now, Gaga is asking not for applause but understanding.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/09/lady-gagas-illness-is-not-a-metaphor/540369/

It's really beautiful, you need to read the whole thing!!!

anigif_enhanced-27177-1413129049-7.gif

Reality

Ugh, I'm going to cry so much when I watch this documentary :(

She's been through a lot, emotionally, mentally, and physically, but she's a ****ing fighter. She's got the strength to push through and she stops at nothing to make sure we, the fans, are satisfied. 

🖤👹

Archived