💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

#OscarsSoStraight

bitchimtrying

Featured Posts

bitchimtrying

After the Emmy's I kinda got curious about LGBT winners and got looped into an internet wormhole and found myself on someone's tumblr where they had posted about previous LGBT Oscars winners. What I found has truly disgusted me and I think we all need to know it and remember it for Jan/Feb 2018 when the next Oscars ceremony begins. 

The Last LGBT person to be nominated for Best Actor in a Leading role was Ian McKellen in 1998. 19 years ago. 

The Last LGBT person to be nominated for Best Actress in a Leading role was Ellen Page in 2007. 10 years ago. 

The Last LGBT person to be nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role was Ian McKellen in 2001. 16 years ago. 

The Last LGBT person to be nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting role was Anna Paquin in 1993. 24 years ago. 

An openly Gay person has NEVER won the best Actor in a Leading Role award.

An openly Lesbian person has NEVER won the best Actress in a Leading Role Award.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Luke78619

But is it a matter of prejudice or the possibility that none of the LGBT actors actually deserve to win or be nominated :poot:

insta: good_lukeing | I have nothing else to promote

imwoahvicky

award shows shouldn't feel obliged to give awards to minorities just so that they could be represented

it's not a matter of being homophobic it's a matter of lack of diversity 

⚜ Roll Deep ⚜

tellemhone
9 minutes ago, monster78619 said:

But is it a matter of prejudice or the possibility that none of the LGBT actors actually deserve to win or be nominated :poot:

This + Most actors/actresses/producers/directors /people in the world etc. are straight

:air: :air: :air:

highlikegaga

but movies about LGBT issues win so they do raise the awareness. the problem is that Hollywood casts STRAIGHT people to play gay people.

many straight people have won for playing gay.

it's Hollywood's fault in general.

Supersonic
5 minutes ago, tellemhone said:

This + Most actors/actresses/producers/directors etc. are straight

LGBT actors & actresses:

Holland Taylor
Sarah Paulson
James Dean
Marlon Brando
Amber Heard
Jodie Foster
Greta Garbo
Alan Cumming
Drew Berrymore
Margaret Cho
Marlene Dietrich
Megan Fox
Angelina Jolie
Debbie Harry
Lady Gaga
Aubrey Plaza
Michelle Rodriguez
Kristen Stewart
Evan Rachel Wood
Ezra Miller
Chaz Bono
Laverne Cox

There are (and were as some of those names are no longer under the living) plenty of LGBT people acting in Hollywood.

Nobody is saying "Give them an award, they're gay!". People are saying "You are looking past the quality of work they have delivered just because they are gay, and it's unfair."

bitchimtrying
15 minutes ago, monster78619 said:

It's Prejudice. By both the Oscars and the entertainment industry. If LGBT people aren't given roles hen they cant be nominated for awards. But, those that are given roles are never given awards anyway, which in turn means that less LGBT people get cast. It;s a cycle. 

bitchimtrying
15 minutes ago, Bomtox said:

award shows shouldn't feel obliged to give awards to minorities just so that they could be represented

it's not a matter of being homophobic it's a matter of lack of diversity 

Yet everyone talks about how People of Color aren't represented?. No one is rasing the question of LGBT representation when it comes to the Oscars. It isn't just lack of diversity its prejudice towards the LGBT community. 

Florian
5 minutes ago, highlikegaga said:

but movies about LGBT issues win so they do raise the awareness. the problem is that Hollywood casts STRAIGHT people to play gay people.

many straight people have won for playing gay.

it's Hollywood's fault in general.

Does your sexuality give you a legitimacy to play a role ? No.

It's the very essence of an actor to embody a character (Be it gay, be it the kind, be it cruel, be it the opposite of your personnalité). A skilled straight actor will still be a better gay character than a bad gay actor.

The thing is that the the gay actors are a very small % of the actors community and so it's logical to see them less often nominated. I mean that's statistic, you only have 4-5 people nominated, the chance for them to be in the few % of gay is low

imwoahvicky
1 minute ago, bitchimtrying said:

Yet everyone talks about how People of Color aren't represented?. No one is rasing the question of LGBT representation when it comes to the Oscars. It isn't just lack of diversity its prejudice towards the LGBT community. 

you do know that POC is much bigger than LGBT representation right? 

⚜ Roll Deep ⚜

ryanripley

I MADE A THREAD about something sort of on this topic, it was the history of LGBT in hollywood and ya'll paid it dust :nails:

anyway i'll go find the video

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Archived