Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga has looked OFF since the PI era

Edge Of Venus

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, LateToCult2k17 said:

I've definitely noticed it too. I think it's because  she had really high hopes for PI. She probably thought it was going to bang as soon as it came out and that it was going to be like her comeback single, but when it ended up being a colossal failure and the media and fans made it clear that they didn't like the song, it really hurt her. It would definitely explain why PI got next to no promo once it was out. I'd imagine she decided that it would be too damaging to continue to promote a song that nobody really liked, which probably left her extremely self-conscious about the rest of Joanne.

Now it's almost like she's careful of how she carries herself on stage because she knows that people will be quick to judge and scrutinize everything she does. They did it before, but Gaga always had something to fall back on (e.g her sales, critical acclaim, thousands of vocal supporting fans) and now she doesn't have that at the same level as she did with TF/TFM, BTW, ARTPOP, and CTC.

It's a tough era honestly but it's what happens when you take a gamble. Nothing we or she can really do except ride it out. The good thing about Gaga is that she's always evolving her sound so it's not like she'll be stuck in this rut forever. And on the bright side the Super Bowl helped solidify her image as a performer in the GP's eyes (although I don't think Gaga truly realizes this, which makes her still self conscious about what she does on stage).

All of that mixed with her pain, heartbreak, and depression, it's no wonder she's not the same on the stage anymore. 

They just do that because you mentioned PI flopping.

You made good points

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, PartySick said:

Yeah but she was recovering from a broken hip, fighting drug addiction, apparently being declared clinically dead at some point, dealing with management issues, and remaking ARTPOP :sweat:

Sis that was fake :rip:

GagaStefi
18 hours ago, Edge Of Venus said:

Yes, I remember watching the stream live and when she did Alejandro and other songs during the mid-run of the show she looked so out of it, but fans were attacking me for saying that. :S 

and when she did look "happy" it was so forced 👀

Glamourpuss

I think she's been "off" ever since ARTPOP. She was pissed off with her record label at that time she did that performance where she was puked on and followed up with that keynote interview. That was a poignant time for me. 

And there was a video circulating on facebook where she's talking about anxiety, body language, people telling lies every day and how she thought about leaving music. And I think that was before PI. 

She hasn't been the same Gaga for a while. 

GagaTheExplorer

being "OFF" is kinda normal for people who suffers of depression and/or drugs problems :wacko:

I hope she gets better soon :wub:

It's kinda weird. She has always said that during BTW and ARTPOP she was in her worst times ever. But making a point looking at the whole thing I can just remember her long gone strenght and integrity that surely were present in those eras.

just remembering the videos she made before btw (where she first gave us hints about btw's instrumentals) I can just think she was then at her best. Literally not now.

Carmine Morriello

Another thing that just came up in my mind.

The period of this supposed "sadness" started at the same time she quit drugs. Well. Who knows.

Carmine Morriello

Samuel Watson

She was ****ed on cocaine during coachella. End of. She was so high and aggressive, that is all. Don't use that to state where she is in her life , we've all been weird on drugs .... 

Robinladen
1 hour ago, Glamourpuss said:

I think she's been "off" ever since ARTPOP. She was pissed off with her record label at that time she did that performance where she was puked on and followed up with that keynote interview. That was a poignant time for me. 

And there was a video circulating on facebook where she's talking about anxiety, body language, people telling lies every day and how she thought about leaving music. And I think that was before PI. 

She hasn't been the same Gaga for a while. 

You could easily say she was off since The Fame since she was on drugs during that era too. During The Fame Monster she clearly was struggling with body issues, looking anorexic (probably also the drugs). During Born This Way she really suffered from all the backslash by being labeled a Madonna knock-off and too gay. I'd say her relationship with Lüc was pretty toxic too. And ofcourse touring got to her big time. At the start of ARTPOP she had her biggest twitter meltdowns ever over Applause underperforming and Perez Hilton.

The thing is we can find weird moments and interviews for every era. Plus Gaga has always really shared her vulnerable side with the world. 

Robinladen
21 hours ago, Rafr88 said:

The only interview of the era where she was (apparently) happy was the Howard Stern one:oprah:

Howard Stern is the only in depth interview she did this era, but I wouldn't say she ever seemed unhappy during the shorter promo interviews. 

For other moments: She seemed to be having genuine fun with the Hadid sisters and the other models at Victoria's Secret, she was funny and genuinely relaxed during Carpool Karaoke and at the show with James, all those moments and photos with her family at the Superbowl, ...

She has physical pain and she lost a dear friend, but I do believe that mentally Gaga is in a stronger place now than she's ever been before. 

just another gay

The whole Joanne era is trying to be light-hearted and yet very bittersweet. 

The story of Joanne, post-break up, Sonja, and health issues... now I appreciate and understand Joanne even more (and it's already my favorite album), it's not about the looks or avant-grade art, this girl just wants to live in the moment and enjoy life.

Robinladen
20 hours ago, LateToCult2k17 said:

I've definitely noticed it too. I think it's because  she had really high hopes for PI. She probably thought it was going to bang as soon as it came out and that it was going to be like her comeback single, but when it ended up being a colossal failure and the media and fans made it clear that they didn't like the song, it really hurt her. It would definitely explain why PI got next to no promo once it was out. I'd imagine she decided that it would be too damaging to continue to promote a song that nobody really liked, which probably left her extremely self-conscious about the rest of Joanne.

Now it's almost like she's careful of how she carries herself on stage because she knows that people will be quick to judge and scrutinize everything she does. They did it before, but Gaga always had something to fall back on (e.g her sales, critical acclaim, thousands of vocal supporting fans) and now she doesn't have that at the same level as she did with TF/TFM, BTW, ARTPOP, and CTC.

It's a tough era honestly but it's what happens when you take a gamble. Nothing we or she can really do except ride it out. The good thing about Gaga is that she's always evolving her sound so it's not like she'll be stuck in this rut forever. And on the bright side the Super Bowl helped solidify her image as a performer in the GP's eyes (although I don't think Gaga truly realizes this, which makes her still self conscious about what she does on stage).

All of that mixed with her pain, heartbreak, and depression, it's no wonder she's not the same on the stage anymore. 

She declined to perform Perfect Illusion at the vma's when MTV asked. They asked her when the song wasn't even released yet. So obviously she never had big plans to promote it and it wasn't a reaction to it flopping. What a difference when you compare it to how she reacted to Applause, being called out by Billboard for desperately tweeting out a website where the video was embedded 100 times on autoplay to increase her streaming. She was very mature about it all with Perfect Illusion.

Joanne sold more first week than it was predicted reaching 200k, that must have felt like a victory to her. The media wasnt harsh AT ALL if you compare it to the horrible headlines for Born This Way or ARTPOP.

I think she genuinely wasn't that concerned with how the era was going cause she always knew the Superbowl was comming. That would automatically be a big moment. She's very aware what the Superbowl would mean for her career. And it also lead to the Joanne Tour being sold out so fast in America. 

Yes she stripped it all down, but I think she just needed a moment to breath from all the harsh critics she's been receiving since 2011. The swift in how the media treats her now compared to 2013 is huge. 

LateToCult
30 minutes ago, Robinladen said:

She declined to perform Perfect Illusion at the vma's when MTV asked. They asked her when the song wasn't even released yet. So obviously she never had big plans to promote it and it wasn't a reaction to it flopping. What a difference when you compare it to how she reacted to Applause, being called out by Billboard for desperately tweeting out a website where the video was embedded 100 times on autoplay to increase her streaming. She was very mature about it all with Perfect Illusion.

Joanne sold more first week than it was predicted reaching 200k, that must have felt like a victory to her. The media wasnt harsh AT ALL if you compare it to the horrible headlines for Born This Way or ARTPOP.

I think she genuinely wasn't that concerned with how the era was going cause she always knew the Superbowl was comming. That would automatically be a big moment. She's very aware what the Superbowl would mean for her career. And it also lead to the Joanne Tour being sold out so fast in America. 

Yes she stripped it all down, but I think she just needed a moment to breath from all the harsh critics she's been receiving since 2011. The swift in how the media treats her now compared to 2013 is huge. 

So I said she didn't really promote the song AFTER she released it.

I do think PI's lack of commercial success had some inpact on her. It did a free fall on the charts, which was a clear indicator that people weren't buying the song, they weren't streaming it, and they weren't watching the music video after its release. They may not have been dissing it on the same level as Perez was openly but their lack of support said loud and clear that people didn't like it. 

Maybe the song's success wasn't the only reason why Gaga seems affected on stage, but to say it played no role seems naïve. She's human like you and me. We always seek approval in one way or another from people and it affects us if something we worked hard on isn't appreciated.

and you mentioned BTW and ARTPOP but you're refusing to acknowledge that one sold 1 Million on its first week and the other sold more than 100k more than Joanne first week plus had Applause, which was a commercial success. So while critics were especially hard on those two, she still knew that people were consuming the music. Joanne had a more lukewarm reception and no solid song that people were enjoying until after the Super Bowl. I don't think it's possible for that to not have an effect on her confidence. Especially sing Joanne and PI were supposed to be her stripping down and being vulnerable.

Archived