Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Suicide Groups: New Lady Gaga song sets bad example

Americano

Featured Posts

Americano

lady-gaga-melbourne-1340702138-custom-0.jpg

I wish that I could cope, but I took pills and left a note:

Lady Gaga courts controversy with suicide song, Princess Die

CONTROVERSY is good for the Lady Gaga business.

And it's with that in mind that the star debuted her new song, Princess Die, in Melbourne last night.

Gaga told her fans that the piano ballad reflected the most "deep and personal thoughts I've ever had".

The song, which was uploaded to YouTube soon after the show, is her darkest yet and deals with suicide.

Although Gaga stressed that the song had nothing to do with Diana - she spelled out the title just in case there was any confusion - the lyrics do touch on details of the princess's life.

The end of the song, whose chorus is "Princess Die, I want to see her cry", is clearly about Diana's tragic death in Paris in 1997:

And wish that I would go

In my rich boyfriend’s limo, oh oh

Right after he proposed

With a 16-carat stone wrapped in rose gold

With the papparazzi all swarming ’round

In my Louis Vuitton white button-down

Oh, it’s not that deep

So bob head your head for another dead blonde

Whose real prince is in heaven

She just wants to sleep

However, it's the lyrics that talk about suicide that will be a cause for concern, especially for the parents of Gaga's teen fans.

I wish that I was strong

I wish that I was wrong

I wish that I could cope, but I took pills and left a note

The fact that Gaga is testing the waters with the song while on tour suggests she is very aware of its controversial themes and the potential for backlash.

Chris Wagner, the communications director for Lifeline, said the song sent a worrying message to Gaga's fans.

"Lifeline is very concerned about the nature of the song, particularly as it clearly describes the method of suicide and talks in depth about suicide,†he told news.com.au.

"It doesn’t actually have any message of hope, of help seeking, or anything of a positive nature whatsoever.

"We understand artistic licence and we get artistic expression, but celebrities need to recognise that they’re role models for young people in the community.

"Young people often live and breathe by the lyrics to the songs of their favourite stars."

Mr Wagner was concerned songs like this promoted "suicide contagion", where people copy activities of suicidal people.

"It's really important that young people who are feeling sad or thinking about suicide recognise there is help and there is light at the end of the tunnel, and there are people who care about them, that want to help them."

http://www.news.com....9-1226411004293

Idolator Article on issue as well: http://idolator.com/6664531/lady-gaga-princess-die-suicide

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chic

The end of the song, whose chorus is "Princess Die, I want to see her cry", is clearly about Diana's tragic death in Paris in 1987:

Wut :derpga:

creeves

Really? They think she's promoting suicide? With this fan base?

I can't imagine how angry she would be if she read this

Fully predictable, but come on, has anyone ever done more against suicide than Gaga? Seriously.

Mr Monster

and yet Gaga has spent basically half her career pandering to stopping this **** and then when she writes a beautiful song about people thrown INTO this kind of tragedy the jump on them. ****ing flops.

Zilla

Right on time!

I do agree that the lyrics could be mistaken for a trigger. Fans should not take the lyrics literally.

𝙸'𝚖 𝚊 𝚓𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚓𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚎𝚜 𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝚐𝚒𝚛𝚕.

MattyMonster

I'm sorry to use that word...but this is absolutely retarded :fail:

It's not like Gaga had A WHOLE ****ING ERA about loving yourself and basically about suicide-prevention. They don't even bother to mention that. No, because it's Lady Gaga and she obviously just wants to be controversial...

Really? They think she's promoting suicide? With this fan base?

I can't imagine how angry she would be if she read this

She's on blackout, remember? :usrs:

Ricardo

what is wrong with them, like there weren't more depressing songs out there, besides it's not even a single so it's not getting a worldwide promotion or something like that

germagaga

Although Gaga stressed that the song had nothing to do with Diana

How stupid are they? :smh:

Vanilla

:roll:

quoting Rihanna here "The music industry isn't exactly parents r us"

She gets ridiculous hate when she writes a song about positive things, she gets hate when she writes about negative things. She can't win.

I won't die, but I can't live without you

Archived