Jump to content
Joanne World Tour
ūüéł ūüé§ ūü§ė JOANNE TOUR TICKETS ON SALE NOW ūü§ė ūüé§ ūüéł
question

How Come There Aren't Any Black Pop Stars?

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF   Paws Up 1,199
FfFfFfFF
Just now, JeremiJello said:

then that makes gaga a rapper then!

What is the definition of ''pop star'' exactly? your question is too vague and people don't know what to answer. 

  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeremiJello   Paws Up 813
JeremiJello
Just now, FfFfFfFF said:

What is the definition of ''pop star'' exactly? your question is too vague and people don't know what to answer. 

i know...i know

 

i regret this topic already.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeremiJello   Paws Up 813
JeremiJello

Okay so how exactly do you categorize Katy, Miley, and Taylor's vocal genre besides calling it pop?

Edited by JeremiJello

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeJudas   Paws Up 63
LeJudas

JeremiJello why are you hating on The ultimate legend Michael Jackson?

He had vitiligo (skin disease)

He also had lupus which made his injuries worse. So of course he had to have plastic surgery to repair the scars that lupus caused.

And yes he stated in his book that one reason besides the bullying, was that his nose would not heal correct after his first rhinoplasty. So in order to TRY to SAVE his nose from messing up even more he had to get a few touch up procedures. Or else the lupus and vitiligo would've eaten the tissues that were healing.

So please try to understand Mike's situation.

  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rafr88   Paws Up 206
Rafr88
4 minutes ago, JeremiJello said:

His father is white AF...so spanish background

 

2 minutes ago, JeremiJello said:

i still don't get ur point

tenor.gif

I dont know what to say:saladga:

 

Just because someone speak spanish dont make it spanish, kids

I mean Americans speaks english, they are not english

 

You can be Argentinian and be white af or be Venezuelan and be mixed or be haitian and be black, in either case you still being latino

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
FfFfFfFF   Paws Up 1,199
FfFfFfFF
5 minutes ago, JeremiJello said:

i know...i know

 

i regret this topic already.

:poot:

4 minutes ago, JeremiJello said:

Okay so how exactly do you categorize Katy, Miley, and Taylor's vocal genre besides calling it pop?

But genre is more than just vocals. Pop doesn't have a strict definition but describe a song with a catchy melody and an accessible sound which is popular and every pop act narrrows inspirations from different genres. I do think Nicki can be seen as a pop artist even though she's a rapper because her music is popular and very pop-oriented. (This was a the first example of artist that came into my mind because she had a popular song here this summer:chica:).

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Like 3

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeremiJello   Paws Up 813
JeremiJello
1 minute ago, Rafr88 said:

 

tenor.gif

I dont know what to say:saladga:

 

Just because someone speak spanish dont make it spanish, kids

I mean Americans speaks english, they are not english

 

You can be Argentinian and be white af or be Venezuelan and be mixed or be haitian and be black, in either case you still being latino

SPANISH FROM SPAIN BACKGROUND :saladga:

His father has Spanish (from Spain) background.

Edited by JeremiJello

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeremiJello   Paws Up 813
JeremiJello
3 minutes ago, LeJudas said:

JeremiJello why are you hating on The ultimate legend Michael Jackson?

He had vitiligo (skin disease)

He also had lupus which made his injuries worse. So of course he had to have plastic surgery to repair the scars that lupus caused.

And yes he stated in his book that one reason besides the bullying, was that his nose would not heal correct after his first rhinoplasty. So in order to TRY to SAVE his nose from messing up even more he had to get a few touch up procedures. Or else the lupus and vitiligo would've eaten the tissues that were healing.

So please try to understand Mike's situation.

When have I vere hated on Michael Jackson? He's a legend. Pop music wouldn't be anywhere without him. I'm just making simple statements...

Plus there was a rumor from his team that he once told them that he wanted to be white...

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ziggy   Paws Up 920
Ziggy

Because culturally, R&B and Hip-hop has its roots in black culture whereas white cultures tend to have more pop. That and there are also racial reasons extending over this whole thing. Remember how big of a deal it was that Beyonce put Daddy Lessons on Lemonade? That's because black artists don't do country and why is that? Because no record label wants to fund a black country artist. The market isn't there for it (because underlying, subtle racism), but Beyonce could do it because she has the enormous clout and has the freedom to experiment a bit with her sound.

Thing is, black musicians have started a number of genres that have later been coopted and appropriated by white culture (like country, rock & roll, blues, soul, etc.). Once these genres are made popular by white artists, though, no one wants to see a black performer perform it (again, for underlying racial reasons), and the cycle repeats itself.

A final note, though. The industry is about markets. Black musicians, by and large, play to black audiences which means that they have to play the music of black culture. That music is R&B, hip-hop, and the like. A record label that is going to take a chance on a black artist is probably going to want them to cater to black audiences because artists of other races have a more difficult time doing this and so they play the assumed black genres of music. Look at an artist like Janelle Monae, though. She manages to reach her core demographic (black women) through incorporation of black musical styles and culture into her sound while also bringing in other influences as well like David Bowie, The Cure, George Michael, Guns & Roses, etc. The difference with her is that she is also the CEO of her label so she can kind of do whatever she wants lol So there are artists that have expanded themselves, but in business you have to always remember who your target market is in order to sell (especially these days). In the case of black musicians, their most reliable market are black audiences so they play and create for them.

Just my theory, though :blush:

  • Like 8

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeremiJello   Paws Up 813
JeremiJello
Just now, Ziggy said:

Because culturally, R&B and Hip-hop has its roots in black culture whereas white cultures tend to have more pop. That and there are also racial reasons extending over this whole thing. Remember how big of a deal it was that Beyonce put Daddy Lessons on Lemonade? That's because black artists don't do country and why is that? Because no record label wants to fund a black country artist. The market isn't there for it (because underlying, subtle racism), but Beyonce could do it because she has the enormous clout and has the freedom to experiment a bit with her sound.

Thing is, black musicians have started a number of genres that have later been coopted and appropriated by white culture (like country, rock & roll, blues, soul, etc.). Once these genres are made popular by white artists, though, no one wants to see a black performer perform it (again, for underlying racial reasons), and the cycle repeats itself.

A final note, though. The industry is about markets. Black musicians, by and large, play to black audiences which means that they have to play the music of black culture. That music is R&B, hip-hop, and the like. A record label that is going to take a chance on a black artist is probably going to want them to cater to black audiences because artists of other races have a more difficult time doing this and so they play the assumed black genres of music. Look at an artist like Janelle Monae, though. She manages to reach her core demographic (black women) through incorporation of black musical styles and culture into her sound while also bringing in other influences as well like David Bowie, The Cure, George Michael, Guns & Roses, etc. The difference with her is that she is also the CEO of her label so she can kind of do whatever she wants lol So there are artists that have expanded themselves, but in business you have to always remember who your target market is in order to sell (especially these days). In the case of black musicians, their most reliable market are black audiences so they play and create for them.

Just my theory, though :blush:

It's not that a record label wouldn't want a black country artist, it's that there isn't a black country artist.

  • excuse me no 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeremiJello   Paws Up 813
JeremiJello
5 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

:poot:

But genre is more than just vocals. Pop doesn't have a strict definition but describe a song with a catchy melody and an accessible sound which is popular and every pop act narrrows inspirations from different genres. I do think Nicki can be seen as a pop artist even though she's a rapper because her music is popular and very pop-oriented. (This was a the first example of artist that came into my mind because she had a popular song here this summer:chica:).

I guess...

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ziggy   Paws Up 920
Ziggy
Just now, JeremiJello said:

It's not that a record label wouldn't want a black country artist, it's that there isn't a black country artist.

But I'm saying there isn't one because no label wants to fund one because there isn't really a market for them. Country music stations play to white audiences, and black audiences have moved on from the genre. So there isn't a black country artist because there isn't a place for one in the current marketplace.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rafr88   Paws Up 206
Rafr88
8 minutes ago, JeremiJello said:

SPANISH FROM SPAIN BACKGROUND

Bruno's father is half Puerto Rican and half Ashkenazi Jewish descent and is originally from Brooklyn, New York. His mother emigrated from the Philippines to Hawaii as a child, and was of Filipino, and some Spanish, ancestry.

Thats the reason labels sometimes dont even care:saladga:

I really dont want to be mean, I just don't understand why all the confusion:sharon:

Edited by Rafr88
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
FfFfFfFF   Paws Up 1,199
FfFfFfFF
Just now, JeremiJello said:

I guess...

Another example: Adele  falls under the pop artist umbrella too right next to pop girls like Rihanna or Kesha, not because her style is essentially pop but because her songs have a big market. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ziggy   Paws Up 920
Ziggy
Just now, FfFfFfFF said:

Another example: Adele  falls under the pop artist umbrella too right next to pop girls like Rihanna or Kesha, not because her style is essentially pop but because her songs have a big market. 

Even though, speaking from a genre point of view, she is more of a soul artist just with mass appeal. Agreed!

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×