Joanne World Tour
๐ŸŽธ ๐ŸŽค ๐Ÿค˜ JOANNE TOUR TICKETS ON SALE NOW ๐Ÿค˜ ๐ŸŽค ๐ŸŽธ
question

How Come There Aren't Any Black Pop Stars?

Featured Posts

JeremiJello   Paws Up 923
JeremiJello
Just now, Yuuri said:

If you think about it, his skin tone/colour did become white, but he was still had African-American DNA. Maybe he was refering to that, although skin colour doesn't equal race.

I was making a joke

kyanewest   Paws Up 1,851
kyanewest
10 minutes ago, JeremiJello said:

why did he straighten his hair and get nose jobs then?

Michael had an incident with his hair in the 80s with the infamous Pepsi commercial where his scalp was severely burnt.

When it comes to his nose, it is said that he suffered with Body Dismorphia, highly probable since he was bullied by his dad and brothers about his "fat nose" everyday and was even called a "duck" (along those lines). If you knew about his story you'd know that he was very insecure as a kid, throughout his teen years, and had huge self-esteem issues which didn't allow him to have any real romantic relationship in his life. He was a very sad misunderstood human being whom I think doesn't deserve to be disrespectedย 

• Like 22
  • Love 4
don't ban me

SpookyKid   Paws Up 12,460
SpookyKid
Just now, Yuuri said:

If you think about it, his skin tone/colour did become white, but he was still had African-American DNA. Maybe he was refering to that, although skin colour doesn't equal race.

He was still black tho, the OP is saying Bruno isn't black even if he has dark skin, so he is implying skin color and race don't go in hand, so even tho Michael's skin did become white, he was black

• Like 2
Life has a hopeful undertone |-/

JeremiJello   Paws Up 923
JeremiJello
Just now, JustaMonster said:

He had a skin condition that messed with the colored pigments of his skin and he was very self conscious about it so he tried to even out the colors by dying the rest of his skin.

that explains the skin lightening he had been doing before? or his nose job? or his hair straightening?

SpookyKid
Just now, JeremiJello said:

that explains the skin lightening he had been doing before? or his nose job? or his hair straightening?

So if a black person straightens his hair or gets a nose job they are no longer black? what the **** are you smoking

• Like 10
  • LMAO 7
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 2

2007   Paws Up 5,184

There were a lot black females inย the pop genre in the 2000s, you hadย Ciara,ย Janet,ย Keri hilson, Rihanna, Beyoncรฉ, TLCย and more. But the thing is today pop music isn't popping anymore so artists are shifting to other genres (including gaga), and most black artists are going the R&B, hip-hop and rap route.

• Like 2

SychosSoChic   Paws Up 8,802
SychosSoChic

Black artists are always RnB, unless they're in a girl band. Rihanna is pop. Beyonce is pop. But they will always be labeled RnB coz 'Black'.

What I want to know is why there isn't a single Asian mainstream artist in the West. Because Asian artists are there. So I don't understand why they aren't breaking through.

The closest thing we had was the Far East Movement somewhere in 2009-2011 and that was a one-hit wonder if I ever saw one.

Edited by SychosSoChic
  • Like 2
Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.

Yuuri   Paws Up 14,204
Yuuri
Just now, SpookyKid said:

So if a black person straightens his hair or gets a nose job they are no longer black? what the **** are you smoking

IDK, but it needs to be outlawed.:saladga:

• Like 2
  • LMAO 4
I wanted the Monkey to win

Rafr88   Paws Up 247
Rafr88
1 minute ago, JeremiJello said:

Dont know about the hair, but Iย heard the nose was because theย disease kind of eat his nose, or something like that (When I write it sounds weird)

ย 

JustaMonster   Paws Up 4,675
JustaMonster
2 minutes ago, JeremiJello said:

What? I'm pretty sure the only reason he had the skin lightening was to cover up the symptoms of the skin condition he had which is called "Vitiligo". And I don't see why getting a nose job or hair straightening matters at all.

• Like 5
I will fly on a challenger across the sky

Rafr88   Paws Up 247
Rafr88

ย 

10 minutes ago, JeremiJello said:

Peutro Rican (Spanish Descent), Filipino, and Jewish

So you cant be black hispanic?

• Like 2

kyanewest   Paws Up 1,851
kyanewest

Only artist I can think of that they didn't label as "rnb" is Chuck Berry

• Love 1
don't ban me

SpookyKid
Just now, Rafr88 said:

ย 

So you cant be black hispanic?

This is something I don't get about people in the US, why are they "Black" and "White" and the rest of us are "Latinos" "Hispanic" or things like that? I am from Latin America and I'm white as ****, we don't call ourselves "I am Latino", nor do we call them something else

• Like 5
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

BBhomemaker   Paws Up 2,258
BBhomemaker
27 minutes ago, JeremiJello said:

I'm gonna rephrase...

ย 

What I'm asking is that how come most black people sing the same kind of vocal style. I've noticed that other races (e.g. hispanic, east asian, indian, and white experiment with their vocal styles).

That's not true atย all, 4ย songs 4ย way to singย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by BBhomemaker
  • Like 4
  • YAAAS 1