💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Will Gaga revive her YouTube power?

LaBlue

Featured Posts

I think something that a lot of fans tend to underestimate in these "Why has Gaga's popularity/influence waned?" discussions is that both ARTPOP and Joanne went against the overall trend in popular music at the times of their releases.

"Applause" sounds fundamentally out of place juxtaposed with "Blurred Lines", "Thrift Shop", "When I Was Your Man", "Just Give Me a Reason", "Stay", "Get Lucky", "We Can't Stop", "Radioactive", "Mirrors", "Royals", etc. These songs are not loud electronic music. "Applause" sounds baroque and extravagent in comparison to the simpler and more laid back sounds of Get Lucky, When I Was Your Man, Say Something, Stay, Diamonds, Mirrors, etc. 2013 that featured many ballad hits, and Applause was ultimately out of line with that. 

Consequently, "All of Me" (released a week before Applause) has 1.1 billion views and Applause has just under 300 million. "Just Give Me a Reason" has 720 million, "When I Was Your Man" 565 million", "Royals" 672 million. Gaga's Bowie channeling, combined with Applause's in-your-face production, made for something that swam against the current. And "Roar" is not an apt comparison, because Roar is basic af and hella radio-friendly (far more than Applause – additionally, Perry was coming off 5 #1s and was still one of radio's best friends).

Combine all that with what was ultimately a botched released (Applause leaked a week ahead of schedule), it's amazing that the song did as well as it did. 

It's the same deal with Joanne. Personally, I think if you switched Joanne and ARTPOP and released Joanne in 2013 and ARTPOP in 2016, the results would be completely different. Joanne simply does not fit with what's dominating the charts right now. "Can't Stop the Feeling", "Cheap Thrills", "Sorry", "One Dance", "Closer", "This Is What You Came For", "Pillowtalk", "Cake by the Ocean", "Work", etc. Perfect Illusion and Million Reasons don't fit in with this crowd, but Applause and Do What U Want suddenly do. Million Reasons, however, fits in perfectly alongside "Just Give Me a Reason", "When I Was Your Man", and "Say Something."

It really is just that the music Gaga has been releasing hasn't been in line with what's popular at the time, or that she's too far ahead of her time (in the case of ARTPOP, that sort of electronic sound wouldn't see a revival until around 2 years after its release). As a result, her YouTube power has been considerably scaled back. She also just doesn't seem to care about that. She's making the music she wants to make without regard to whether it's commercially successful or not. Her power would be revived if she came out with something that fit in with the current trend, but with a Gaga twist. She could slay with a pop-trap track release today. Even The Cure was too pop for right now (which is why you see so many pop girls flopping, except Taylor – LWYMMD's beat fits in perfectly with what's popular right now). 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think she has what it takes to get back there again. Now she's more accepted by the GP and if she drop a good commercial single then yes!

Phoebe Buffay
1 hour ago, thopekas said:

Its called FYROM :queenga:

???

I guess you are insecure about your own country most of the times and then you bash on others to make you feel better. 

1 hour ago, monster987 said:

???

I guess you are insecure about your own country most of the times and then you bash on others to make you feel better. 

not on others in general ,insecure about my country ..yes,when they take your name they can take you too ,

Youtube is dying. Why would anyone care about that platform anymore. There's less and less money to be made from youtube due to really ambiguous and nonsensical ad policies. Better move on to streaming and other stuff.

Phoebe Buffay
7 minutes ago, thopekas said:

not on others in general ,insecure about my country ..yes,when they take your name they can take you too ,

Gurl, plz go bore someone else with your brainless opinions please. I'm ending this now.

12 minutes ago, Unwavering said:

Youtube is dying. Why would anyone care about that platform anymore. There's less and less money to be made from youtube due to really ambiguous and nonsensical ad policies. Better move on to streaming and other stuff.

She doesn't want to revive her YT power, I think, or at least is not interested. Otherwise, she could have made a bomb *ss video for The Cure and win that back, but yeah it didn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...
RocketNumberNine

Its not about Video.. its about Good SONG.. she need good and radio lover song.. and shes trying to be a remarkable like 2008-2009-2010-2011

On 2017. 09. 02. at 8:48 PM, babs said:

She doesn't want to revive her YT power, I think, or at least is not interested. Otherwise, she could have made a bomb *ss video for The Cure and win that back, but yeah it didn't happen.

It's not that she didn't want to regain her power, it's just that she was more interested in grieving her recently passed friend

Archived