Joanne World Tour
🎸 🎤 🤘 JOANNE TOUR TICKETS ON SALE NOW 🤘 🎤 🎸
politics

1/10 Americans think Neo-Nazi views acceptable

Featured Posts

Goosey   Paws Up 2,853
Goosey

Vaguely worded and therefore useless. Just what exactly does 'acceptable' mean here?

acceptable
1 worthy of being accepted
2 able to be agreed on; suitable
3 pleasing, welcome
4 adequate, satisfactory
5 able to be tolerated or allowed

accept
3 regard favourably; treat as welcome
4 a believe, receive (an opinion, explanation, etc.) as adequate, valid, or correct
4 b be prepared to subscribe to (a belief, philosophy, etc.)
6 a tolerate, submit to
6 b be willing to believe

Clearly they worded their poll this way so they could get a juicy story out of it. 

• Like 1
  • excuse me no 2
"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

FABian   Paws Up 109
FABian

ABC new is FAKE news!

Don't be fooled by these stupid polls, they are just trying to rile you up.

This is the same organization that said Trump has "Just a 25 Percent Chance" of winning. 

Edited by FABian
  • YAAAS 1
  • excuse me no 1

FABian   Paws Up 109
FABian
5 hours ago, Goosey said:

Vaguely worded and therefore useless. Just what exactly does 'acceptable' mean here?

acceptable
3 pleasing, welcome
4 adequate, satisfactory

accept
4 a believe, receive (an opinion, explanation, etc.) as adequate, valid, or correct
6 a tolerate, submit to

Clearly they worded their poll this way so they could get a juicy story out of it. 

The media has its own agenda

• Like 2

Goosey   Paws Up 2,853
Goosey
56 minutes ago, FABian said:

The media has its own agenda

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703384204575510272945083114

http://www.gallup.com/poll/9193/scientific-approach-question-wording-differences.aspx

When 9% said these views were 'acceptable', maybe they meant that these views shouldn't be outlawed. We don't know what the 9% were thinking and we don't even know exactly what the question said.

• excuse me no 2
"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

PartySick   Paws Up 32,560
PartySick
14 hours ago, Creativek said:

What is the difference between somewhat acceptable and somewhat unacceptable? Aren't they basically the same? 

Nah, "somewhat unacceptable" means you're more against it than you are for it and "somewhat acceptable" means you're more for it than against it. Just replace "(un)acceptable" with "(dis)agreeable", it makes more sense imo :laughga:

Spoiler

F*cking "unagreeable"? :smh: I need to go to bed :smh:

Anyone who thinks Nazi views are acceptable at all is just...:smh: Let me not have to WP myself :smh:

Edit: I am SO not here for the anti-media attitudes :toofunny:

Hitler: "Lügenpresse" (lying press)
Trump: "Fake news!!"

Don't let history repeat itself. Trump is unfit and Nazis are bad. These are facts :laughga:

Edited by PartySick
  • Like 4
  • LMAO 1
1, 5, 10, lay a million WP's on you fools

ItsTommyBitch   Paws Up 8,149
ItsTommyBitch
6 hours ago, Goosey said:

acceptable
3 pleasing, welcome
4 adequate, satisfactory

accept
6 a tolerate, submit to

Uhm... no? :emma: 

All possible interpretations of "acceptable" that have any sort of positive connotation, as that word has, are unacceptable. The questioning was "do you believe holding neo nazi views is acceptable/unacceptable." It's not as vague as you're making it seem, and your list of potential understandings of the word are all unfit of such a response.Thats kind of the point An ideology that espouses hatred and that has been linked to genocide and culling in the past is not even up for debate. We should not be tolerant of intolerance - especially not to this severe a degree. 

But guys, the polls also showed that only 39% of people believe the Alt-Right hold neo-nazi views. 39% have no opinion, and 21% believe they don't. Even if 83% of people find neo-nazi viewpoints to be unacceptable, more people have views similar to them than care to admit. "I don't like Jewish or black people and subtly discriminate against them in my store when they come in" is still harmful, but its not "I want them all dead/out of this country immediately" so people feel free to give themselves a pass, as they aren't the "real" racists, anti-semites, etc. We should be highly critical of this mindset as well. Its hugely part of why things like racism are still alive. 

• Like 2
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 1
私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Creativek   Paws Up 2,065
Creativek
4 hours ago, PartySick said:

Nah, "somewhat unacceptable" means you're more against it than you are for it and "somewhat acceptable" means you're more for it than against it. Just replace "(un)acceptable" with "(dis)agreeable", it makes more sense imo :laughga:

Reveal hidden contents

Anyone who thinks Nazi views are acceptable at all is just...:smh: Let me not have to WP myself :smh:

Don't let history repeat itself. Trump is unfit and Nazis are bad. These are facts :laughga:

I just don't think we should put much thought into these random polls. I'm not dismissing this as an example of "fake news", I'm just trying to make sense of the numbers. 

I still don't think there's a huge difference between somewhat acceptable / unacceptable even if you change unacceptable to disagreeable. I'm not sure why anyone would vote any other way than strongly unacceptable tbh, as all of the other options mean you have at least an ounce of understanding why people support neo-nazi ideas.

I don't know. These statistics make me feel uneasy. It's not conclusive enough to outright label 1/10 Americans as accepting of neo-nazi ideology. 

I've never been polled before, do they just send these via mail or something? How do they choose who they poll? I also wonder if people answer these polls with 100% honesty. 22 million Americans is a LOT of people for a sample size of 1000 to represent :shrug: I guess I just take these kinds of statistics with a grain of salt.

President Trump   Paws Up 3,469
President Trump
10 hours ago, PartySick said:

Reveal hidden contents

What makes you think that the default should be to trust the media?

Ma ma pa pa pa

President Trump   Paws Up 3,469
President Trump

This is also a terrible poll and the conclusion that now 1/10 Americans support nazis is insanity. 

• Like 1
Ma ma pa pa pa