society

University of Texas to remove Confederate statues

Featured Posts

Qualle1   Paws Up 1,199
Qualle1
3 hours ago, FABian said:

educate 'ha :classy:

You have some nerve...

You are the one who is in need of some serious education!

:reductive:

Edited by Qualle1
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 1
MAKE LOVE NOT WAR

FABian   Paws Up 109
FABian
10 minutes ago, Qualle1 said:

You have some nerve...

You are the one who is in need of some serious education!

:reductive:

I have a lot of nerves in my body yes.

Robagaga   Paws Up 5,802
Robagaga
6 hours ago, FABian said:

educate 'ha :classy:

11 hours ago, Qualle1 said:

There are plenty of so called "war memorials" here in Germany, to remember all of the victims of WWII and that such a horrendous war should never ever happen again.

WWII and Nazi Germany is actually no taboo here in Germany.

We learn so much about the darkest part of the German history in school. You can see so many interesting documentations and films on German TV about Nazi Germany and WWII. Moreover there are so many interesting museums and exhibitions dedicated to both subjects. Last but not least I am regularly talking with my family and friends about these topics.

No taboo.

I lived in strasbourg for 11 years which is right at the german border, meaning I would go to germany every other day and quite a lot of my friends had german origins or lived in germany. My best friend was a german. I also have explored quite a lot of german cities and have an interest in history in general. Just stating this so I don't sound like a random american who is pretending to know it all. 

First of all I didnt say there werent any war memorials. I said there werent any war statues. Meaning statues that commemorate leaders of the war or the war itself. Nearly all individual war statues/monuments commemorate the victims of the nazi regime. Which is why you find most of the memorials in ex concentration camps.

The only monument in the whole of germany that commemorates in some way the soldiers of ww2 is the uboat monument. But this was built in 1930 and originally only memorialized the victims of ww1. Ww2 victims were added later. 

100% of ww2 memorials I have seen are WW1 memorials where the names of people who died in WW2 are just added. 

Whilst maybe you can argue that there is no ww2 taboo. (I would still disagree) There is definetely a nazi and nationalistic taboo. 

It isn't the type of dinnertime conversation most germans want to have. If you have this conversation often with your friends and family its fine but most germans I've met are very reluctant in talking about this subject because they feel quite a lot of shame.

It is good that it is taught at school but a lot of germans, especially older germans tend to avoid the conversation in social situations which is understandable. Younger germans like you probably are much more open about it but most older germans still avoid the conversation

When you go to germany it is quite rare to see any german flags. There is no culture of the national anthem like in france or the US. When you go to a country like the US you see flags in front of houses, people sing the national anthem all the time etc etc . Nationalism is germany however is almost discouraged. 

This is the info I have gathered from my experience and my research. I understand that your personal view and experience might lead you to believe that there is no taboo but that is not factual. Ofcourse I am talking about mostly social taboos and not educational taboos. 

Nationalism and nazism is still to this day quite taboo in germany. Proof is that Mein Kampf only went to sale in germany 2 years ago. Before that it was banned. 

Edited by Robagaga
  • Like 2

Melech   Paws Up 5,721
Melech
7 minutes ago, Robagaga said:

I lived in strasbourg for 11 years which is right at the german border, meaning I would go to germany every other day and quite a lot of my friends had german origins or lived in germany. My best friend was a german. I also have explored quite a lot of german cities and have an interest in history in general. Just stating this so I don't sound like a random american who is pretending to know it all. 

First of all I didnt say there werent any war memorials. I said there werent any war statues. Meaning statues that commemorate leaders of the war or the war itself. Nearly all individual war statues/monuments commemorate the victims of the nazi regime. Which is why you find most of the memorials in ex concentration camps.

The only monument in the whole of germany that commemorates in some way the soldiers of ww2 is the uboat monument. But this was built in 1930 and originally only memorialized the victims of ww1. Ww2 victims were added later. 

100% of ww2 memorials I have seen are WW1 memorials where the names of people who died in WW2 are just added. 

Whilst maybe you can argue that there is no ww2 taboo. (I would still disagree) There is definetely a nazi and nationalistic taboo. 

It isn't the type of dinnertime conversation most germans want to have. If you have this conversation often with your friends and family its fine but most germans I've met are very reluctant in talking about this subject because they feel quite a lot of shame.

It is good that it is taught at school but a lot of germans, especially older germans tend to avoid the conversation in social situations which is understandable. Younger germans like you probably are much more open about it but most older germans still avoid the conversation

When you go to germany it is quite rare to see any german flags. No one knows the national anthem etc etc. Nationalism is discouraged. 

This is the info I have gathered from my experience and my research. I understand that your personal view and experience might lead you to believe that there is no taboo but that is not factual. Ofcourse I am talking about mostly social taboos and not educational taboos. 

Nationalism and nazism is still to this day quite taboo in germany. Proof is that Mein Kampf only went to sale in germany 2 years ago. Before that it was banned. 

thats not true

Robagaga   Paws Up 5,802
Robagaga
1 minute ago, Melech said:

thats not true

Of course its a generalization, I was just making a point. I just meant that there is no culture of the national anthem like in the US or France for example. 

I will edit it accordingly, thank you for pointing it out

Edited by Robagaga