💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

"Black Twitter" Wants Gaga to pay Takiya Thompson's legal fees

merlot

Featured Posts

Andrew Warhola
2 hours ago, SISTERV said:

Oh please. I said over and over again last year I was playing devil's advocate.

PszVf34.png

C0QBJXK.png

Though you might not recognize these as yours, because I believe back then you were rocking that catfish avi.

giphy.gif

she's a party girl with a bad habit for drugs

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also im tired of people specifically on here othering black people when threads like this get hype and then acting hurt when black people try to distance themselves from white people (esp. white "allies") like what do you expect 

AshIey
8 minutes ago, Bebe said:

There have been times when she has watered down more radical progressive messages. It's one thing to say you support the LGBT community or BLM, but it's another thing to get into more gritty and more controversial details. 

There have also been times when she hasn't really been spot on with her advocacy. I mean Born This Way “no matter black, white, or beige/ chola or Orient-made” received criticism for it's use of racial slurs. She has appropriated and sexualised many religious or culturally important clothes. 

There is even that infamous photo of her posing with two fans in blackface - that's hardly some radical progressive action from her there... She didn't stand up to that...

I don't want to turn this into Gaga bashing, because now I know I'm just going to get a bunch of replies from people like "I can't believe you are insinuation Gaga is a racist!" or defending her past words and actions.

I think Gaga is a good person, I think she is kind, I think she has done great things for the LGBT community, I think she has been brave in her advocacy - but she isn't perfect and she doesn't often stray much further from this kind of safe place of advocacy.

I see. You're right she's not perfect, but she's attempting to learn. It's just disheartening to see people doubt her before she's even began on this new journey.

I think it's not wrong to ask for help from her for paying some legal fees for this woman but it feels very rude to be like "Pay for her fees *link*" where are the manners on this people?

I understand you're angry but you don't respond to people like that when they show that they are legitimately worried and want to help. She's not your enemy.

Meruk Holland
19 hours ago, Bebe said:

If Beyonce asked how she could help, if Beyonce involved herself, then I'm sure she would receive similar advice...

No, actually. It might be slightly out of context, but he sure seems to imply that he would never ask Beyonce to pay for the legal fees. Say the context is in terms of something completely unrelated. The statement could still be read standalone as his personal beliefs.

If we wanna go full AP English and dissect this: he says POC should never be comfortable with asking black women for money or labor. This is regardless of their wealth or fame. The fact he specifies black women means white women are not held to this standard. That's to say, POC should be able to be comfortable asking for money or labor from white women. Notice "should be able." This implies there are scenarios that it's still not okay to request money or labor from white women. These scenarios could include amount of fame, wealth, disability, nationality, upbringing, etc. 

The most interesting bit of information gathered out of all of that is the fact that white women and black women are not held to the same standard. This shows racial bias. This could be due to privilege, sure; but it could also stem from generalization of both groups and even racist beliefs.

Myles has proven that he feels it's okay to request money from Gaga, in terms of donating to a woman arrested for vandalism. His statement here implies he would never request the same from Beyonce, simply because she is a black woman. 

Personally, I do think he suggested this to dare Gaga. If she ignores him, then he proves, if for no one else than himself, her words are just that: words. If she took the dare, she would be paying for a criminal's actions, literally in this case. (There are legal ways to remove statues and historic monuments, such as petitions or actions from the government, as in the case of the Mayor of Baltimore) At that point, where does it stop? Does she pay for legal fees for all vandals who acted in the interest of social justice? Does she just do it once to show she is open to suggestions? 

And maybe I'm wrong and he wasn't antagonizing her. Maybe he was really giving his advice on how she could be a better ally. The questions in the previous paragraph still apply. So then, maybe he should have suggested something more realistic. 

2 hours ago, Meruk Holland said:

No, actually. It might be slightly out of context, but he sure seems to imply that he would never ask Beyonce to pay for the legal fees. Say the context is in terms of something completely unrelated. The statement could still be read standalone as his personal beliefs.

If we wanna go full AP English and dissect this: he says POC should never be comfortable with asking black women for money or labor. This is regardless of their wealth or fame. The fact he specifies black women means white women are not held to this standard. That's to say, POC should be able to be comfortable asking for money or labor from white women. Notice "should be able." This implies there are scenarios that it's still not okay to request money or labor from white women. These scenarios could include amount of fame, wealth, disability, nationality, upbringing, etc. 

The most interesting bit of information gathered out of all of that is the fact that white women and black women are not held to the same standard. This shows racial bias. This could be due to privilege, sure; but it could also stem from generalization of both groups and even racist beliefs.

Myles has proven that he feels it's okay to request money from Gaga, in terms of donating to a woman arrested for vandalism. His statement here implies he would never request the same from Beyonce, simply because she is a black woman. 

Personally, I do think he suggested this to dare Gaga. If she ignores him, then he proves, if for no one else than himself, her words are just that: words. If she took the dare, she would be paying for a criminal's actions, literally in this case. (There are legal ways to remove statues and historic monuments, such as petitions or actions from the government, as in the case of the Mayor of Baltimore) At that point, where does it stop? Does she pay for legal fees for all vandals who acted in the interest of social justice? Does she just do it once to show she is open to suggestions? 

And maybe I'm wrong and he wasn't antagonizing her. Maybe he was really giving his advice on how she could be a better ally. The questions in the previous paragraph still apply. So then, maybe he should have suggested something more realistic. 

I don't know what context that post is in, or his arguments relating to why he thinks that way, so there is little point in me commenting on it and speculation from either of us would be unfair. I'm okay with conceding that he wouldn't ask the same of Beyonce, I don't really know his arguments why, but it's irrelevant to my main point anyway.

You're last two paragraphs are really the only important ones anyway, in terms of relating to my main point.

You believe his motives are to 'dare' Gaga to pay for the fees, which even if true :shrug: It doesn't mean he is trying to 'drag' her. I think it would be unlikely that his main goal was to prove a point that Gaga wouldn't do it... Like I said to another user, I'm very sure that he was skeptical of her paying for Takiya's fees, but judging by his twitter his main concern does seem to be will black lives and social justice. Even if he was skeptical of her doing it, she did ask how she could be a better ally and I'm sure his response was genuine.

I would also point out I haven't really tried to defend his point that paying for Takiya Thompson's legal fees would be something Gaga should do, or what anyone should do. While an interesting conversation, it just wasn't what I was questioning. I was just pointing out that I really don't think he is 'dragging' her.

As I said in my first post in this thread, even if you disagree with him - he seems to genuinely believe that paying for Takiya Thompson's legal fees would make her a stronger ally, that she could use her fame and wealth to help out. Nothing wrong with him suggesting that after she asked, nothing wrong with him dismissing monsters accusing him of dragging her by pointing out that she doesn't need to be coddled over such an innocuous tweet.

Meruk Holland
7 hours ago, Bebe said:

I don't know what context that post is in, or his arguments relating to why he thinks that way, so there is little point in me commenting on it and speculation from either of us would be unfair. I'm okay with conceding that he wouldn't ask the same of Beyonce, I don't really know his arguments why, but it's irrelevant to my main point anyway.

You're last two paragraphs are really the only important ones anyway, in terms of relating to my main point.

You believe his motives are to 'dare' Gaga to pay for the fees, which even if true :shrug: It doesn't mean he is trying to 'drag' her. I think it would be unlikely that his main goal was to prove a point that Gaga wouldn't do it... Like I said to another user, I'm very sure that he was skeptical of her paying for Takiya's fees, but judging by his twitter his main concern does seem to be will black lives and social justice. Even if he was skeptical of her doing it, she did ask how she could be a better ally and I'm sure his response was genuine.

I would also point out I haven't really tried to defend his point that paying for Takiya Thompson's legal fees would be something Gaga should do, or what anyone should do. While an interesting conversation, it just wasn't what I was questioning. I was just pointing out that I really don't think he is 'dragging' her.

As I said in my first post in this thread, even if you disagree with him - he seems to genuinely believe that paying for Takiya Thompson's legal fees would make her a stronger ally, that she could use her fame and wealth to help out. Nothing wrong with him suggesting that after she asked, nothing wrong with him dismissing monsters accusing him of dragging her by pointing out that she doesn't need to be coddled over such an innocuous tweet.

I'll concede that Myles wasn't dragging Gaga, in fact, I agree he wasn't directly doing so. I agree that Gaga doesn't need to be coddled, especially in this case. I also agree that he genuinely believes that this would be the best course of action for her. I just don't think his suggestion has pure intent. He even implies this when he tweeted that he believes she saw and ignored his tweet about paying Takiya's legal fees and finding it humorous (unless of course the emoji is ironic, which is possible but I think unlikely) - as if he knew she would all along. To him, it was a win-win situation, either Gaga would support Takiya or she would prove him right.  

The tweet I originally quoted is not unlike many of his tweets. Yes, his feed is full of pro-BLM and social justice advocacy, but there are clear overtones of racial bias and even racism. His feed has tweets that include the idea that white people are fueled by only greed and a retweet that claims all white people are racist. These are more direct examples, of course. A more subtle overtone is like the tweet I originally quoted. That's why my first couple of paragraphs were important. I'm not mad at him because he "dragged Gaga" (He didn't), I'm upset because he's hinting at being prejudiced. I'm upset because he's hinting at what many are outright saying to Gaga. That if she needs to ask how to be a better ally, she shouldn't bother (and no, Myles isn't saying that). He's merely an example of what I detest about stereotypical SJW's. 

If I was in a position of wealth and fame, and I asked how could I help, and the responses were "stop acting like you care about us, you just want to make yourself look good", I would become apathetic of the cause. The problem doesn't directly affect me, and it would appear my efforts would not only be unappreciated, but unwelcomed. Luckily, those are only some of the responses and Gaga is much more humanitarian than I. But those negative responses still exist and are getting some coverage. 

It's a simple fact that if you are part of a minority, you need allies from the majority (or at least, other minority groups), otherwise change can't come about peacefully. The attitude I've seen from many SJW's is "if you want to help, be a part of the oppressed group; and if you're not, sit down, shut up, and let us deal with this. You've done enough." Again, this is not what Myles thinks himself, but this ideology is not far from his own.

Sister

Gaga COULD do it, but ONLY because she is so kind and loving and legit wants to help the entire world AND  she is never ugly and obnoxious like these twitter people ARE. They could really do well in life to learn from a caring and good human being, such IS Lady Gaga.

Everyone KNOWS that the best people in the world ALWAYS get treated the worst and get taken advantage of, prime example right here.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Archived