Irrelevant

The next cycle of icons should come next year

Rooting for my girl Mel, but I'll prefer to have her to us :poot:

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chuckles

This is what I feel is happening with Miley this era, Malibe is EXCELLENT pop material. She was in the top 10 of itunes for weeks and had good streming resulting in a top 10 single BUT she has been struggling. I guess the GP is only interested in controversy...

8 minutes ago, Ferrer Zorola said:

Neither am I being negative and you don't have to be a psychic. Newbies come, newbies go and I don't think Alessia is here to stay

I mean 8 yrs ago i said gaga would be a one hit wonder 

2 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

This is what I feel is happening with Miley this era, Malibe is EXCELLENT pop material. She was in the top 10 of itunes for weeks and had good streming resulting in a top 10 single BUT she has been struggling. I guess the GP is only interested in controversy...

Lol but the artists in the top 10 right now arent exactly controversial

Chuckles
Just now, KingOfTheClouds said:

Lol but the artists in the top 10 right now arent exactly controversial

Talking about girl pop stars yet I also think this might be economy related?

Anderson123

Nah I think streaming is amazing. There are a lot of ways to discover new artists and just music. It's so much easier to go through the genre you like instead of watching top 20 music videos, not to mention it's easier for new artists to get their music out there. I personally think it's boring if the same popstars dominated the charts every time they release new music. 

Ferrer Zorola
5 minutes ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

I mean 8 yrs ago i said gaga would be a one hit wonder 

Well she could have went the path of just being a party music girl and that would have been the case but in 2008 things were different, that's the whole point of this thread :smh: 

nowadays everybody can 'debut' but nobody sticks...

LIFE IS GOOD

StrawberryBlond
57 minutes ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

His tix are prolly cheap so his young fans can afford them

Of course, but my point is, if there's no demand for second dates despite having such cheap tickets, it's not a good sign. Gaga's selling more tickets and getting demand for second dates despite higher prices. That's a sign of a true touring force right there. 1 date per city despite cheap tickets is a sign that an artist has hit their peak fanbase capacity.

If it's harder to become big enough to sell out arenas, I don't think streaming has anything to do with it. Streaming don't make people less invested in their idols. It may make singles more important again, but Elvis Presley and The Beatles became stars before albums became the norm. And with a few exceptions, albums have always been a collection of singles, anyway. True fans (the ones who tend to go to concerts) would listen to everything by their idols, whether it was released as singles or as albums.

I think a bigger problem (if it is a problem), is that fewer people listen to music. I don't know this, but I'm guessing. When I grew up, we didn't have video games. We didn't even have a VCR until I was a teenager. And we had 3 TV channels. There were probably more people who listened to music, because there was nothing else to do. I'm pretty sure music was the dominant popular culture. For many (maybe even most), the kind of music you listened to was a big part of your identity. For some people, that's still the case. Probably for a lot of us here at Gaga Daily. And there will always be metalheads. But today, people are as likely to be fans of a TV show, a game series, or whatever. I suspect a lot of young people today don't listen to music at all. Maybe there are more artists to choose from too, but I don't think so. There has always been a lot of artists to choose from, it's just that few of them are remembered 10+ years later.

17 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Of course, but my point is, if there's no demand for second dates despite having such cheap tickets, it's not a good sign. Gaga's selling more tickets and getting demand for second dates despite higher prices. That's a sign of a true touring force right there. 1 date per city despite cheap tickets is a sign that an artist has hit their peak fanbase capacity.

Dont be so sure. Justin didnt have his first #1 til he became an adult

6 hours ago, Ferrer Zorola said:

Good. That means Gaga's legacy is safe.

:tony:

Maybe the generation of teen queens are the last 'legends'? 

TS, Selena Gomez, Ari, Demi...

:selena:

Demi and selena legends??? Not on this planet sweetie

Vergil
On 11/8/2017 at 7:32 PM, Bradley said:

I totally agree.

I mean if someone of Katy Perry's stature is struggling to sell out arenas, those teenage-looking singers like Zara Larsson, Bebe Rexha, Alessia Cara, Shawn Mendes definitely won't be anywhere near the legacies of Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake or Rihanna.

Hollywood is turning into a community where college students who have an interest in singing can release globally radio-supported songs. It's taking the art away from music and performances, and rewarding teens looking for a job in Hollywood by making songs made from their computer.

That's not how Lady Gaga, Beyonce or Michael Jackson became stars. Those are the real legends there.

How is Beyoncé a legend?

moonsago

honestly I don't know, I feel like we still have to keep an eye out on some of them, they may not have nr 1s yet but they still have some what of an inpact, people are interested, look at how many reaction videos on yt for example dua lipa has, people care. I feel like it's just the new wave of artists, the ones of this generation just like in 2006-2009 we had Riri and Gaga and Kesha and Nicki and Justin B and so on come out and we might have to accept just like the ones before us had to accept that Britney and JLo and Bey etc were not the only ones on top anymore and the fight is going to be harder. 

and nooo I don't compare the newbies to the oldies debuts, there is no comparation really but still

Bradley
8 minutes ago, Vergil said:

How is Beyoncé a legend?

20 Grammys, great performance skillls, good albums commercial performance, revered by people in and out of the industry.

I dont even like her, but these are truly her achievements.

CautiousLurker

I don't see it as a bad thing - it's nice to see the playing field being levelled a bit to give independent artists more of a chance... I really don't see how this is supposed to affect tours, there will still be big productions... Katy's tour isn't selling well not because of the influx of those artists :trollga:

Archived