Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Streaming is destroying Popstars

Nono

Featured Posts

I think streaming destroyed pop stars. I think we wont get New Beyonce, Gaga, Katy Justin for a long time... the music industry rn is so over saturated that is not normal, there are like million new artists like Zara Larsson, Dua Lipa, Bebe with million of songs and I cant see any of them becoming a household "name". Yes they have hits here and there but thats it, they cant sell arena tour not even if they wanted. Heck even our well known popstars cant sell arenas...Streaming not only destroyed new future popstars but destroyed "some" popstars that we already have and its not going in the good direction :madge:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SHALLOW

They only release singles or albums without any concepts behind them, everything is so commercial nowadays 

It's just so easy to release music nowadays that so many more people have opportunities and even more music will be made, and we can access it all so easily 

1 minute ago, HYPODERMIC0 said:

They only release singles or albums without any concepts behind them, everything is so commercial nowadays 

Because it would flop and they would spend a lot of money for a flop...

not only artists and music industry is commercial but the consumers are too...

Bradley

I totally agree.

I mean if someone of Katy Perry's stature is struggling to sell out arenas, those teenage-looking singers like Zara Larsson, Bebe Rexha, Alessia Cara, Shawn Mendes definitely won't be anywhere near the legacies of Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake or Rihanna.

Hollywood is turning into a community where college students who have an interest in singing can release globally radio-supported songs. It's taking the art away from music and performances, and rewarding teens looking for a job in Hollywood by making songs made from their computer.

That's not how Lady Gaga, Beyonce or Michael Jackson became stars. Those are the real legends there.

HolyDelRey

If they're not bothered, i don't see why you should be.

People can discover a lot of new artists through streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music & etc.

For example, we have Lana Del Rey, Lorde, Melanie Martinez and many more. 

The only prisons that exist are ones we put each other in..

Talent

I thought you were going to say streaming was destroying the music industry (which isn't true). But I agree with your point. Streaming is ending the concept of the "massive pop star". 

Just look at Zara Larsson and her streaming numbers vs. actual career. 

🔵 - Banned because I quoted a stupid meme. Literally. So, yeah.

whore

This makes so much sense and I'm glad you explained it because it's something I've been thinking about but couldn't figure out. Back in the 2000s, artists arised and we knew right then and there that they were going to be a legend: Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Katherine Hudson :madge:, Britney Spears, P!NK, and others that we knew were here to stay. Nowadays, artists arise and we know their fame is limited: Meghan Trainor, Dua Lipa, and everyone else you listed. 

It got me wondering why new "legends" and boundary pushing artists haven't risen. Everyone that we consider an icon has at least ten years under their belt. Meanwhile, we knew Madonna would be an icon by the time her second album was released. Lady Gaga was an icon by the time she wore a meat dress. But now? The names are forgettable, the "hits" are barely impacting culture, and every radio sounds the same. 

Monster Voices

How is it streaming's fault though? Pop radios are constantly promoting unoriginal music and weak artists. It is easier to stream than to buy and listening to the song gives it some chart power but you wouldn't know who to stream if it wasn't already shoved down your throat by mainstream media. 

:shrug:

I really wanna know what makes you guys think so cause in Eastern Europe streaming is unpopular and I can't really have a good overview.

Forever and Always!

StrawberryBlond

You're so right. So many new artists are coming up with hits that are forgotten about by next year now. It's all about the here and now. At most, they have one successful album then fade away. Meghan Trainor had one hit album and faded. Iggy Azalea had one semi-successful album then faded. Fifth Harmony had 2 big hits from each album, then one member left and now they're on their third album and it's like everyone forgot about them. The member who left can't get a top ten lead single either. Then there's those who have put out one album but we haven't heard from them since, so their future is in doubt: Sam Smith, Melanie Martinez, Shawn Mendes. Then there's ones who haven't been around in ages like Rita Ora, who released her debut album in 2012 and whose success has nosedived since then causing her to switch labels and still struggle to get a new album up and running. Then there's brand new ones like Zara Larsson, Alessia Cara, Dua Lipa who have just released their debut albums but who still can't truly breakthrough. In the midst of all this, it's shocking that people would seriously consider Gaga to be flopping. That's why, despite Joanne selling even less than AP, I can't truly think of it as a flop as her sales are good for today's market. We should be impressed that Gaga's stuck around, still selling 1 million+ copies worldwide and can still do a world arena tour. Some artists are younger than her and have hits right now and they can't do that.

I also think popstars are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to streaming. The reasons why rappers and urban artists in general have such high streaming figures is because they do so much collabing and that gets outsiders interested in their work. Fans of Nicki will tune in to see her feature on Ariana's song, Jason's song, etc. Rihanna has benefitted hugely from this. She's always featuring on someone's song, which has caused her to maintain her relevancy for years, especially now, when she's been majorly struggling to get hits like she used to. Work, This Is What You Came For, Too Good, Wild Thoughts and Loyalty all feature a popular male name or is her featuring on someone else's popular hit. Her features are the only thing that's keeping her around right now in international charts. She hasn't had a solo hit in the UK since Stay in 2013 and the UK is a huge market for her. Being urban is a great way to boost your sales. But if you're completely solo and therefore, not relying on collabs, you're at a massive disadvantage. Although, judging by the sales of Bon Appetit and Swish Swish, even having a popular rapper on your pop song won't necessarily make it sell.

17 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

You're so right. So many new artists are coming up with hits that are forgotten about by next year now. It's all about the here and now. At most, they have one successful album then fade away. Meghan Trainor had one hit album and faded. Iggy Azalea had one semi-successful album then faded. Fifth Harmony had 2 big hits from each album, then one member left and now they're on their third album and it's like everyone forgot about them. The member who left can't get a top ten lead single either. Then there's those who have put out one album but we haven't heard from them since, so their future is in doubt: Sam Smith, Melanie Martinez, Shawn Mendes. Then there's ones who haven't been around in ages like Rita Ora, who released her debut album in 2012 and whose success has nosedived since then causing her to switch labels and still struggle to get a new album up and running. Then there's brand new ones like Zara Larsson, Alessia Cara, Dua Lipa who have just released their debut albums but who still can't truly breakthrough. In the midst of all this, it's shocking that people would seriously consider Gaga to be flopping. That's why, despite Joanne selling even less than AP, I can't truly think of it as a flop as her sales are good for today's market. We should be impressed that Gaga's stuck around, still selling 1 million+ copies worldwide and can still do a world arena tour. Some artists are younger than her and have hits right now and they can't do that.

I also think popstars are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to streaming. The reasons why rappers and urban artists in general have such high streaming figures is because they do so much collabing and that gets outsiders interested in their work. Fans of Nicki will tune in to see her feature on Ariana's song, Jason's song, etc. Rihanna has benefitted hugely from this. She's always featuring on someone's song, which has caused her to maintain her relevancy for years, especially now, when she's been majorly struggling to get hits like she used to. Work, This Is What You Came For, Too Good, Wild Thoughts and Loyalty all feature a popular male name or is her featuring on someone else's popular hit. Her features are the only thing that's keeping her around right now in international charts. She hasn't had a solo hit in the UK since Stay in 2013 and the UK is a huge market for her. Being urban is a great way to boost your sales. But if you're completely solo and therefore, not relying on collabs, you're at a massive disadvantage. Although, judging by the sales of Bon Appetit and Swish Swish, even having a popular rapper on your pop song won't necessarily make it sell.

U got it wrong Shawn Mendes put out 2 albums and is currently on tour mess

Benji

I don't agree. The reason we haven't had a huge pop star come through in a while is because one simply hasn't come through.

Have any of those artists you mentioned dropped a Just Dance, Crazy In Love, I Kissed A Girl or a Baby?  No.  I like a lot of current music but no one is dropping a song that's extremely catchy that brands them.  I don't think many of these new artists are looking for that though.

gagarox

I agree but then i cant stan for anyone else other than gaga.. so its all cool. Just go along with the ride 

StrawberryBlond
12 minutes ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

U got it wrong Shawn Mendes put out 2 albums and is currently on tour mess

Funnily enough, I realised that just before you quoted me. But his debut really didn't make much of a dent worldwide. It's only now that more people have started to wake up to him and his new single is tacked onto a re-issue of his last album. His tour really isn't that big either. He's only performing at a few arenas worldwide and London and Toronto were the only cities worldwide where he had demand for second dates. He's only pulled in $22 million from 36 shows so far because his tickets are so cheap. So, if he can't play to bigger audiences despite low ticket prices, it doesn't exactly bode well for the future. At the moment, he's still just another teen singer in my eyes and I've seen them come and go like lightning. If he doesn't make a truly big splash with his next album, I doubt he's ever going to be bigger than he is and once he starts getting older, his young fanbase will move on.

Archived