💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Horror Media Database AKA Horror World

n0ne

Featured Posts

n0ne

found-footage.jpg

I think it would be interesting for us to discuss the found footage subgenre in horror. As it's a big trend in horror and it doesn't have the best reputation . A lot critics think it gets derivative and cliche.

What are your thoughts?

I personally love found footage horror, I think the home video filming style really adds to the realism and helps to make the atmosphere more creepy/scary. But I do see a lot of tropes like bad shots, faulty acting, and overuse of jumpscares.

What is your favorite found-footage releases?

Some of mine are = The River (found footage horror tv show, Creep, Paranormal Activity series, The Den, V/H/S series, Blair Witch (original), Quarantine, Cloverfield, The Last Exorcism, Grave Encounters, The Bay, Afflicted, Final Prayer (The Borderlands), Mr. Jones, Atrocious, and Evidence

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lilmonster93 said:

found-footage.jpg

I think it would be interesting for us to discuss the found footage subgenre in horror. As it's a big trend in horror and it doesn't have the best reputation . A lot critics think it gets derivative and cliche.

What are your thoughts?

I personally love found footage horror, I think the home video filming style really adds to the realism and helps to make the atmosphere more creepy/scary. But I do see a lot of tropes like bad shots, faulty acting, and overuse of jumpscares.

Some of mine are = The River (found footage horror tv show, Creep, Paranormal Activity series, The Den, V/H/S series, Blair Witch (original), Quarantine, Cloverfield, The Last Exorcism, Grave Encounters, The Bay, Afflicted, Final Prayer (The Borderlands), Mr. Jones, Atrocious, and Evidence

I dont really care for found footage in general, tbh. The camera shakiness i find more annoying that anything.  Blair Witch and Paranormal Act 2 are the ones i seen from your list

ryanripley
4 minutes ago, lilmonster93 said:

found-footage.jpg

What are your thoughts?

this subgenre is a total guilty pleasure of mine! movies like Cloverfield, Rec, VHS, PA etc keep me oddly entertained unless the movie is just piss poor :laughga: 

there's a few more i enjoyed but i can't think of them right now :huh: 

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

ryanripley

also a confession: i didn't like the original Blair Witch film :poot: 

n0ne
4 minutes ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

I dont really care for found footage in general, tbh. The camera shakiness i find more annoying that anything.  Blair Witch and Paranormal Act 2 are the ones i seen from your list

I get it, it's not for everyone. I know a good amount of people who get headaches/motion sickness from watching them. I just think the rawness and their spacistic filming helps induce adrenaline and fright.

1 minute ago, ryanripley said:

also a confession: i didn't like the original Blair Witch film :poot: 

It's too boring or slow for some viewers lol.

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

ryanripley
1 minute ago, lilmonster93 said:

I get it, it's not for everyone. I know a good amount of people who get headaches/motion sickness from watching them. I just think the rawness and their spacistic filming helps induce adrenaline and fright.

i think i might have liked it back in the day when found footage was new or rare, i guess it didn't age very well :selena: 

ryanripley
3 minutes ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

anyway what about some good new thrillers? preferably sci fi ones

i'd check out Neill Blomkamps short movies, he has a sci fi one called Zygote on youtube. i haven't seen it myself but i've read a lot of good things!

imnotyourbabe10

It Follows is my favorite in recent years--loved how it played on sexuality and anxieties.  Plus the soundtrack is fire! 

Get Out, Don't Breathe, Lights Out, The Witch, Crimson Peak are others that are worth viewing.  

imnotyourbabe10

How do you guys feel about older horror such as The Uninvited, Don't Look Now, The Innocents, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Val Lewton films? Any suggestions along these lines? 

41 minutes ago, lilmonster93 said:

not exactly horror but i like The something Project damn i cant remember the title :poot:

Edit: Project Almanac

n0ne
18 minutes ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

anyway what about some good new thrillers? preferably sci fi ones @lilmonster93

The Guest, 47 Meters Down, Buster's Mal Heart, Alien: Covenant, A Cure for Wellness, Train to Busan, Arrival, Split, and The Similars. Bolded are sci-fi thrillers

14 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

i'd check out Neill Blomkamps short movies, he has a sci fi one called Zygote on youtube. i haven't seen it myself but i've read a lot of good things!

Zygote is great. Have you seen any of his other shorts? Rakka and Zygote are the best.

9 minutes ago, imnotyourbabe10 said:

How do you guys feel about older horror such as The Uninvited, Don't Look Now, The Innocents, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Val Lewton films? Any suggestions along these lines? 

Older horror doesn't do it for me, idk I just don't find them scary. Maybe it's inferior level of special effects and the different acting style. I only find horror movies made during the 90s or later scary. But I do still find a lot of older and classic horror films entertaining like, Poltergeist, Fright Night, The Birds, etc 

8 minutes ago, lilmonster93 said:

The Guest, 47 Meters Down, Buster's Mal Heart, Alien: Covenant, A Cure for Wellness, Train to Busan, Arrival, Split, and The Similars. Bolded are sci-fi thrillers

Zygote is great. Have you seen any of his other shorts? Rakka and Zygote are the best.

Older horror doesn't do it for me, idk I just don't find them scary. Maybe it's inferior level of special effects and the different acting style. I only find horror movies made during the 90s or later scary. But I do still find a lot of older and classic horror films entertaining like, Poltergeist, Fright Night, The Birds, etc 

Thanks although I seen Arrival and Split but i will check out The Guest and A Cure for Wellness

n0ne

With the recent release of The Walking Dead season 8 trailer and the AHS: Cult teasers. I thought we should discuss our favorite horror/dark thriller shows.

Mine are:

The Walking Dead

Hannibal

Bate Motel

Stranger Things

Legion

Ash vs Evil Dead

Scream Queens

American Horror Story

Scream

Santa Clarita Diet

Wayward Pines

Supernatural

Mr. Robot

The River

The Lost Tapes

Archived