Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTRAVE: Have you ever noticed...?

JohnnyVersace

Featured Posts

JohnnyVersace

I was recently watching the ArtRave in Paris, and it dawned on me that the entire show is essentially a giant "**** you" to her former management, and a satire of her career. 

tumblr_n5q1hveY6q1rvvk8yo3_r1_500.gif

Take the opening for instance: "Now performing...Lady Gaga!" (5:20min.) It's dripping with cheesiness, spoken in a bubbly voice while "free my mind" is spoken repeatedly. The music of ARTPOP is dark, edgy, and overtly-electro, yet she presents herself in a typical bubblegum pop fashion, essentially mocking the "Lady Gaga" persona. She needs no introduction, we know who's performing. Yet she sets the show up signaling us that a massive, marketed pop star is about to arrive. 

Further into the show, she covers herself in bar chairs during MJH, and even crawls and oinks on stage like a pig during Swine. 

640?cb=20140829033209

The cherry on top is her rendition of Bad Romance. "Now performing her hit single: Bad Romance!" (1:52:29) She dons perhaps the foulest costume she's ever worn, puts on the clunkiest shoes she could find, and performs her biggest hit in the most garish way. The imagery of Bad Romance is out the f*cking window, and she's doing whatever the hell she wants. She's essentially flipping off her haters, her management, and the industry, and letting her anger and rage take over. 

My point is that nothing is really glamorized in the show (other than Gypsy) in the way she used to during TFB and TBTWB. She's presenting her artistry in a fashion that overtly pokes fun at herself and would undoubtedly piss off people who wanted to control her image. 

Thoughts? Video below. Scroll to the timestamps above to hear the sound bits.

gif.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Avenues

Girl I literally just finished watching it and was thinking the same thing about BR :excited2:

Am I psychic? :excited2::excited2: 

Ouch, My back hurts.

SpookyKid
4 minutes ago, JohnnyVersace said:

Take the opening for instance: "Now performing...Lady Gaga!" (5:20min.) It's dripping with cheesiness, spoken in a bubbly voice while "free my mind" is spoken as well. The music of ARTPOP is dark, edgy, and overtly-electro, yet she presents herself in a typical bubblegum pop fashion, essentially mocking the "Lady Gaga" persona. She needs no introduction, we know who's performing. Yet she sets the show up signaling us that a massive, marketed pop star is about to arrive. 

She has that because there is a voice saying who's performing next with the opening acts too I think

And she has black heels during Venus :poot: 

Life has a hopeful undertone |-/

JohnnyVersace
5 minutes ago, FlopSlurper said:

I don't think she was performing venus barefoot? 

1 minute ago, SpookyKid said:

And she has black heels during Venus :poot: 

Oop you right - I was thinking of Swinefest :gaysia:

Decodekid

could be.

One thing I noticed at the Paris show is that she was screaming so much it felt like she was saying a big **** you to what happened during the era, she was letting her anger out that night 

Im Harol don't tell anyone

JohnnyVersace
3 minutes ago, Avenues said:

Girl I literally just finished watching it and was thinking the same thing about BR :excited2:

Am I psychic? :excited2::excited2: 

It's so obvious. She takes her most stylized, fashion-forward single, and performs it as a literal rave clown. It's exactly what her label and management would have not wanted her to do. 

BgRaEgTaT

Don’t forget she also made sarcastic comments about how she wasn’t going to perform any hits, and if people didn’t come to listen to ARTPOP they needed to either “grab a glowstick and a drink or get the f*** out”. 

Honestly I don’t think she’d perform many of her older hits if she wasn’t required to :nails:

gabeoz
1 minute ago, BgRaEgTaT said:

Don’t forget she also made sarcastic comments about how she wasn’t going to perform any hits, and if people didn’t come to listen to ARTPOP they needed to either “grab a glowstick and a drink or get the f*** out”. 

Honestly I don’t think she’d perform many of her older hits if she wasn’t required to :nails:

I don't think it's that she doesn't want to perform her old hits it's that she's sick of people only wanting to see her to hear them.

leecy

maybe it's just her taste lately is too bad to be accepted

edit: are you guys taking this as a joke too seriously? lol

Eurotrash

Cool observation! I've always thought something was really wrong with the way she performed BR. Like these epic, all-white, glamorous visuals literally do NOT fit that disgusting raver girl outfit! :grr: 

Thanks for opening my mind about the artRAVE! :diane:

Archived