💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Lana ditching USA flag visuals due to Trump

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

Speaking with Pitchfork in a new interview about her fourth album, Lust for Life, which is out Friday, Del Rey expressed deep concerns with the country's direction under Donald Trump's presidency and how that is having an affect on her songwriting and visual identity. When asked about whether it's hard to be romantic about America when Trump is president, she replied, "It's certainly uncomfortable." 

"I definitely changed my visuals on my tour videos," Del Rey continued. "I'm not going to have the American flag waving while I'm singing 'Born to Die.' It's not going to happen. I'd rather have static. It's a transitional period, and I'm super aware of that. I think it would be inappropriate to be in France with an American flag. It would feel weird to me now -- it didn't feel weird in 2013. 

"All the guys in the studio -- we didn't know we were going to start walking in every day and talking about what was going on. We hadn't ever done that before, but everyday during the election, you'd wake up and some new horrible thing was happening. Korea, with missiles suddenly being pointed at the western coast. With 'When the World Was at War We Kept Dancing,' I was posing a real question to myself: Could this be the end of an era? The fall of Rome?"

The issues span to women's rights as well as war and Trump -- a subject Del Rey said she hasn't felt she needed to focus on with her last albums. 

"It's more appropriate now than under the Obama administration, where at least everyone I knew felt safe. It was a good time. We were on the up-and-up," she said. "Women started to feel less safe under this administration instantly. What if they take away Planned Parenthood? What if we can't get birth control? Now, when people ask me those questions, I feel a little differently.... When you have a leader at the top of the pyramid who is casually being loud and funny about things like that, it's brought up character defects in people who already have the propensity to be violent towards women." 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Korok

"It's a transitional period, and I'm super aware of that. I think it would be inappropriate to be in France with an American flag. It would feel weird to me now -- it didn't feel weird in 2013."

Better to be aware than unaware. Clearly the US is not what it used to be. 

OMonster

Culturally, America is so diminished on the world stage right now. It is very upsetting. 

'The land of the free'... 

:gum:

subtext / fantasy

SonOfAphrodite

True Woke Queen :trollga:

Honestly I felt the same way, I understand what she means by things are much different in this presidency.

It feels weird to celebrate a country when it is clearly not heading in the right direction.

Dominic

On one hand it is understandable because it must be difficult to feel patriotism for a country you feel is diminishing under a Trump administration but on the other it equates the flag to such extremism and gives power to it, allowing it to define those values. Surely you would reject Trump and not the American values the flag symbolises? 

I'm not American so maybe i'm way off but :shrug:

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Tomiel25

that is the reason why i love that woman so much :selena: marry me lana please :pray:.

i can't speak english but i can if you like

FadMadonsterStan

I feel the same way even on 4th of July my family and I didn’t even celebrate, it felt awkward so we just watched movies instead :lolly::lolly:

Don't go for second best, baby Put your love to the test

Tomiel25
Just now, milotomi19 said:

i got what she's saying but America =/= Trump :oprah:

Maybe she dont wanna be misunderstood u know america is getting so much hate lately and its not the best time . or maybe she dont wanna be  Under the terrorism's eyes. There could be a lot of reasons :shrug:

i can't speak english but i can if you like

Reality

I get where she's coming from, I mean, I don't even really celebrate the 4th of July, and not because it's Trump necessarily, but it's also mainly because I don't like the idea of nationalism to that grand of an extent. It's not me hating America (despite our problems, it's a fantastic country to live in), I don't know, I just don't like celebrating it.

On the other hand though, my initial reactions were that America =/= Trump. I get what she's saying about how our country's going to sh*t and how celebrating that could mean celebrating someone like Trump, and his viewpoints and all, but America is much bigger than Trump, and it should be much bigger than Trump. 

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

EdgeofTeeth

I know exactly what she means and I've felt similarly as she does recently. Even on the 4th of July, it felt really odd to celebrate America the way it is under the Trump Administration.

Archived