Featured Posts

Sirius094

Wtf exposure doesn't pay the bills :saladga: It's a job, so it should be paid 

Pem Pem Perempem Pem Pem Pem

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
doppelganger

working for free is just not acceptable - I really don't understand why people don't value creative work or think it costs nothing to make art. This just pisses me off. 

In any case being in a katy perry video isn't really the exposure that you want as a drag queen. Not at this point. 

Nene Areola

I have something to say ,some of yall need to know the fact that it's ****ed up taking people for granted and give nothing back is awful.people have to pay for artist bc if you don't what if the hard work they do to put to your shitty project doesn't work.it also lacks the work the person gives bc they get no source of motivation or worth in that project to both work efficiently and substantially .Vicky is not a ru girl so she's gotta work harder than those girls to stay afloat.the exposure thing is bullshit bc that what entitled assholes with no talent say bc they can't do the **** on their own. To someone saying " but lms paid to be extras" this is different because the Queens have to perform and come to 2 day shoots so there's more than just jumping and cheering.also shut up about that wack volunteer Job idea,this ain't no charity work.the only charity work that's happening is saving what's left of the witmess era.

All who agree to the exposure excuse,you have no idea whats its like to treat artist respectfully with your no respect knowledge mouth

jasmine-masters-rupaul.jpg

20 minutes ago, Admin said:

This may be true, but compared to the household name that is Katy Perry, she is an almost completely unknown person.

Just a quick reminder that Gaga got $0 for playing the Super Bowl even though that required months of preparation and hard work, not just for her, but for tens of people from her team. A Katy Perry music video to that drag queen is what the Super Bowl was for Gaga.

Speaking of Gaga, 10 years ago she was performing in clubs for like $5 and although I don't know for a fact, I'm pretty sure she did those early performances (like Miss Universe) for free too. Thankfully her ego wasn't as big as Vicky Vox's that's why ten years later she's one of the most famous people in the world.

it's not about Vicky's ego tho. it's like when young artists (photographers, designers, writers, etc) are asked to work for free for EXPOSURE. It's very unprofessional to ask someone to do something for exposure, especially when you're someone with a budget like Katy's team. It's about respect and validation for someone's time and work.

doppelganger
2 minutes ago, Sebs said:

it's not about Vicky's ego tho. it's like when young artists (photographers, designers, writers, etc) are asked to work for free for EXPOSURE. It's very unprofessional to ask someone to do something for exposure, especially when you're someone with a budget like Katy's team. It's about respect and validation for someone's time and work.

Thank you.

I'm a designer myself and am constantly asked to work for free. Nevermind that my education cost $120k and took 7 years. It's just not right. 

Admin
12 minutes ago, Sebs said:

I just don't understand this. The video is going to be viewed by hundreds of millions of people, which will result in more work for her, and more money than Katy's team could ever pay her. There millions of people who would kill to be in a Katy Perry video, and how is them giving her that chance not respect or validations for her time and work?

If someone as big as Gaga can work for months for free for exposure, why can't an (almost) completely unknown drag queen do the same, except she would have to work for 1-3 days?

Admin
1 minute ago, doppelganger said:

Thank you.

I'm a designer myself and am constantly asked to work for free. Nevermind that my education cost $120k and took 7 years. It's just not right. 

Please be honest, if Gaga (or Rihanna, or Beyonce, or any other A-lister) asked you to design something for them for free, would you decline?

Haroon

I'm not sure if I'm not fully understanding this but I don't see the big deal :sweat: If someone's offering you a job without pay and you don't like the job enough to do it for no money then you can just say no and move on right? :confused: Nobody's being forced into anything :shrug: Either you take up the opportunity if you're interested or you don't

GagaMyBlood95

Guys, exposure PAYS for itself, especially this big of an exposure.

It gets you more offers, more work, your price goes up right away for all your future work.

lordmaler

This is normal.

Is it right? Of course not. But it's normal in show business.

If you want to accomplish something there, you have to sacrifice a lot and swallow a lot of sh*t. Otherwise you'll be no one.

Do you know how many models works for free just to get exposure. They even sleep with designers and photographers to put them out there.

Young designers sending their dresses to stars for free.

Unknown writers and producers never getting their royalty checks but worked with someone super popular.

Things like this are common and I don't know why she is mad. If you don't want to do that, no one is forcing you, just say no. 

Haroon
1 hour ago, Admin said:

I don't know who that is but she should be grateful that an A-list poo star has given her, a completely unknown person, a chance to star in their music video for free.

d2a6eaef459febb362ca9ed5b12b765f.gif

yASSsss

I can't at the members who are defending this. Katy is a multi millionaire business woman and you're telling me she can't pay a drag queen's booking fees :rip: 

Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine

doppelganger
20 minutes ago, Admin said:

Please be honest, if Gaga (or Rihanna, or Beyonce, or any other A-lister) asked you to design something for them for free, would you decline?

I wouldn't do it. Two years ago I might have said yes but at this point in time .... it's definitely a no. It's bad for the industry

I'm pretty lucky that I have a Part time "bread-and-butter" job that pays well, but i know many designers and photographers that are suffering- no amount of exposure and popularity matters when you cannot put food on the table. Especially when your only source of income is freelance creative work with no superannuation and no medical insurance. 

29 minutes ago, Admin said:

I just don't understand this. The video is going to be viewed by hundreds of millions of people, which will result in more work for her, and more money than Katy's team could ever pay her. There millions of people who would kill to be in a Katy Perry video, and how is them giving her that chance not respect or validations for her time and work?

If someone as big as Gaga can work for months for free for exposure, why can't an (almost) completely unknown drag queen do the same, except she would have to work for 1-3 days?

Why can't they have both? Anything with value worth money, right? That's why they asked them to be in the MV in the first place. That's like abusing their status, it's so wrong and unfair, what if they did it for free for the sake of exposure and they didn't receive any offers after that, it's like flipping a coin. Plus Katy's team aren't running short financially, if her record label wouldn't pay she should if she really wants them simply because it's the right thing. Meanwhile she releases albums and tour the world to be on Forbes most earned list, a lot of those drag queens go through hell to maintain a living, knowing how desperate some can be and using their suffer for your own good couldn't be more disgusting. 

Admin
3 minutes ago, doppelganger said:

I wouldn't do it. Two years ago I might have said yes but at this point in time .... it's definitely a no. 

I'm pretty lucky that I have a Part time "bread-and-butter" job that pays well, but i know many designers and photographers that are suffering- no amount of exposure and popularity matters when you cannot put food on the table. 

Thanks for the answer and sorry if I come off as rude, but I still don't understand. When someone like Gaga or Rihanna or Katy wears your design even in an Instagram selfie, let alone a music video and performance, it gives you so much exposure that can give you so much more than food on the table.

It's a known fact that even huge brands like Chanel or Versace send their clothes for celebrities (not even A-listers like Katy) to wear them on the red carpet. If they think it's worth working for free, why wouldn't you?

Archived