💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Cultural Appropriation

theahsfan

Featured Posts

theahsfan

Does anyone else think that calling an artist out for cultural appropriation is absolutely ridiculous? Like most of the time now Katy haters, for example, use it as an excuse to hate on her just because she braided her hair like a black woman would? So what? So what that she was wearing Japanese style clothing? I personally don't think it's that big of a deal, however it's just an excuse for the petty to be petty. If anything it shows that the artist appreciates that culture imo, it's nothing huge like racism or anything

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOTNebraskaGuy

giphy.gif

Incoming mess 

One, five, ten lay a million on me

Why people keep opening threads about cultural appropriation every week? It always turns into a mess and a WP storm

tenor.gif

PunkTheFunk
8 minutes ago, theahsfan said:

If anything it shows that the artist appreciates that culture imo

Or thinks its a cheap way to make headlines and be edgy

8.gif

Shipper

katy-perry.jpg?w=700

I hope you were not referring to this when you said Japanese style clothing.

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

Supersonic

The problem is: You're lamenting about a super rich celebrity getting social media hate for using somebody else's culture while the ORIGINATORS of that culture GET PUNISHED for doing it.

http://www.newsweek.com/wearing-braids-sends-black-girls-detention-malden-charter-school-608303

That's the problem. The "backlash" some white celeb receives for doing cultural appropriation is not nearly as bad as tons of children being punished or having their future possibly ruined for being themselves and minding their own business.

holy scheisse

I think ur absolutely.ignorant and probably absolutely white for posting this 

Educate yourself 

ashae
2 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

The problem is: You're lamenting about a super rich celebrity getting social media hate for using somebody else's culture while the ORIGINATORS of that culture GET PUNISHED for doing it.

http://www.newsweek.com/wearing-braids-sends-black-girls-detention-malden-charter-school-608303

That's the problem. The "backlash" some white celeb receives for doing cultural appropriation is not nearly as bad as tons of children being punished or having their future possibly ruined for being themselves and minding their own business.

I see what you're getting at but it's not really the celebrities' fault for that stuff. In fact they could use that to help the people being punished. 

ashae
1 minute ago, holy scheisse said:

I think ur absolutely.ignorant and probably absolutely white for posting this 

Educate yourself 

If you think that they're so ignorant educate them, if you truly believe they are ignorant than why not help them? This is just a rude comment that adds nothing to the conversation

holy scheisse
1 minute ago, ashae said:

I see what you're getting at but it's not really the celebrities' fault for that stuff. In fact they could use that to help the people being punished. 

No. They're just putting on cultural costumes and taking them off without dear of personally ever being punished  or living with the ramifications in society for dressing in such a way. It's a costume. It's a mockery 

holy scheisse
Just now, ashae said:

If you think that they're so ignorant educate them, if you truly believe they are ignorant than why not help them? This is just a rude comment that adds nothing to the conversation

it's 2017 I can't understand how y'all haven't grasped this as a concept by now and it's also not my duty to educate every ignorant person

ashae
Just now, holy scheisse said:

No. They're just putting on cultural costumes and taking them off without dear of personally ever being punished  or living with the ramifications in society for dressing in such a way. It's a costume. It's a mockery 

Mockery would imply they are doing it purposefully to harm others, which they are not. This is like saying if one person can't do this, nobody else can because it's unfair to that one person.

Archived