Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why the Dance In The Dark instrumental at Halftime is meaningful

ShayCristoforo

Featured Posts

ShayCristoforo

The whole show gave me life of course. But here's a thought...

Technically, Dance In The Dark was the first "Gaga song" played at halftime. It was surprising and nostalgic. The article below shares the messages behind DITD. To me, its appearance at halftime was a hauntingly beautiful nod to the "dark" experiences Gaga has overcome throughout her life and career. A powerful journey of self esteem: trauma, mental illness, bullying, body shaming, violation, veiled pain, addiction, slander, the list goes on.

Baby loves to dance in the dark
'Cause when he's lookin' she falls apart.

I think we can be very proud of Gaga, as she descends from the roof against this vulnerable song, followed by the one-liner reminders of her hits, and finally  "I'm on the edge!" with the MA MA MA MA power stance.

Not to be corny, but she really did marry the night LOL, power-stancing over her fears, haters and insecurities. Perhaps DITD in the opening is a gesture towards those themes and triumphs (for those viewers who recognized the song, like us lol). Of course this is very old news, but I'm sure others are still watching and rewatching. The DITD inclusion always gives me those good shivers, and maybe this is why. Anyone else? :)

http://www.mtv.com/news/1628355/lady-gaga-explains-real-meaning-of-dance-in-the-dark/  

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

I mean, it's fun to theorise and all...

But I really think that she just played the song in the mix at the beginning because it worked, not more than that :toofunny:

Rifek

or... she just wanted to give the gays what they needed cuz she knew about the meltdowns coming after skipping down the ARTPOP era during her most iconic performance ever

nPGwZED.gif

❗️ IG: thebumblebee__ ❗️

KyliesChild

xLady,P2BGaGa,P2Bperforms,P2Blive,P2Bcon

Not to mention the fact that the entire performance is an ode to her career. 

n0ne
2 minutes ago, SinnersVenus said:

I mean, it's fun to theorise and all...

But I really think that she just played the song in the mix at the beginning because it worked, not more than that :toofunny:

This

and because she knows critics/fans love the song

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

KyliesChild
3 minutes ago, lilmonster93 said:

This

and because she knows critics/fans love the song

Wouldn't “Marry the Night" be incorporated in the mix instead of an album track that only fans have heard? After all it's a more successful song that more people know and plus it's just as nostalgic and dramatic as Dance In The Dark.

PanPikus

I don't know if this has a meaning. But I know that it was awesome opening, I didn't expect something like that and I was so excited, cause DITD is my fav song from TFM, and I couldn't believe she was going to sing it (at least that instrumetal happened and I'm grateful so much). And she used it again at Coachella and it was beautiful :kara:

Na Wojtusia z popielnika, iskiereczka mruga, chodź opowiem Ci bajeczkę, bajka będzie długa...

gagzus

It was just fan service that's all and an ode to the iconic MB opening but in all honesty it was the PERFECT opening I was shook because I was like "omg is she REALLY gonna open with it" 

n0ne
1 minute ago, Skai Jackson said:

Wouldn't “Marry the Night" be incorporated in the mix instead of an album track that only fans have heard? After all it's a more successful song that more people know and plus it's just as nostalgic and dramatic as Dance In The Dark.

DITD is acclaimed by both her fans and critics and grammy nominated. As a brief instrumental, I don't think she really cared about how commercially successful the song she used was. 

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

Saint Hollywood

No matter what the reason was to include it, it still skinned me alive :giveup:

BeerFear

Those DITD synths are one of the best things that have happened to pop music in ages...They are catchy, beautiful, have a dark-vibe. I can't even understand how can someone not like DITD...that 10 second alone shits on careers

crisTEAne
11 minutes ago, BeerFear said:

Those DITD synths are one of the best things that has happened to pop music in ages...They are catchy, beautiful, have a dark-vibe. I can't even understand how van someone not like DITD...that 10 second alone shits on careers

yes and your avi, omg. :giveup: 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Sailor

It was iconic. "Paparazzi" was the first Gaga song I fell in love with, so hearing that just gave me so much nostalgia and reminded me of how far she (and us as a community) has come.

bannedT for life and it's SAD

BeerFear
30 minutes ago, T E Anne said:

yes and your avi, omg. :giveup: 

My future husband looks great doesnt he? :selena::selena:

crisTEAne
Just now, BeerFear said:

My future husband looks great doesnt he? :selena::selena:

yes, he does. just finished season 2, though i started with season 3 obviously. my life is empty now. :selena: 

ot: agree. DITD was a nice touch. 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Archived