Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

"get a spray tan on holiday, in Taipei"

Quark

Featured Posts

mattyx

It's not bad because we know Gaga is in on the joke or whatever you wanna call it.  It's not like it's a serious song,  haha.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LaLuna

Lyrically, Donatella is one of her worst songs. I think she was trying too hard to be clever or funny or both. 

River

Lorde's lyrics reminds me of a songwriting of a teenagers that writes has a hobby :laughga:

And for some reason they all giving me a throwback to Royals.. it's like idk same theme sane structure and idea..

Donatella is a fun stupid song, even Gaga didn't take the lyrics too seriously..  but Gaga has her flaws, on ARTPOP we saw it, I think some of BTW and TFM are the best lyrics works..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Irrelevant

My entire family except mine is there, I cannot relate. :green:

Who tf wants a spray tan in Taipei, it's so humid, which I won' imagine feels too good :green:

But, on the other hand, idk anything about spray tanning :green:

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

Ziggy
1 hour ago, Jester said:

It's bad because it's stupid and shallow tbh. Requires zero intellectual effort to write something like that.

I used to be like you and defend everything Gaga's ever done, but then started being more critical. She is the best artist I've ever seen. She is a true poet (I sometimes get chills just by reading her Instagram captions), she's the most creative girl out there, most intelligent celebrity etc. BUT it's not always visible in her songs. And she does have flaws.

Sometimes she adds so much artificial meaning to original meaningless lyrics that it feels forced. For example G.U.Y., it's catchy and makes you wanna dance, but the explanation behind it is just weak. Amazing art and music don't need to be explained. 

Once again, Gaga is the best out there, but she and her lyrics do have flaws.

Which explanation? The one about being a power bottom and wanting to be in control? I thought that one was, for once, apparent in the song. Unless you're talking about another meaning (please tell me if you are), I'd disagree. The worst offense is her explanation about PI and social media. Like wtf? Haha

Ziggy
1 hour ago, Leeo said:

One good example to be honest is our beloved "Heavy Metal Lover"

I love HML so much yeah and it's like my fav. But the lyrics...

What's the poetry behind "I want your whisky mouth all over my blonde south" or "I could be your girl but would you love me if I rule the world" ? they're simple lyrics. But the melody work, the production... everything works together. It's an amazing song then.

It's not meant to be deep or anything but it works 

Donatella is... something like that. But people like to judge it because it's a happy uptempo song (in general, way more generic) and not dark\synthpop like HML

But the lyrics referring to her time in NY are amazing. "Dirty Pearls and a patch for all the Rivington Rebels." Great line.

Sailor

ARTPOP had very inner concepts. The music itself doesn't feel all that conceptual. It doesn't make sense for someone to sit down and talk to Marina Abramović and Jeff Koons and then write "Donatella".

But ARTPOP's meaning is engraved in its title. It's about putting art into pop. I can appreciate all of the songs when you put them under that context.

bannedT for life and it's SAD

badgirlmeat

I love and stan Gaga, but let's be real, Lorde is a better songwriter. That isn't something bad, plus considerimg Lorde's mom is a poet...

That line is bad, and that is what makes it likeable and funny.

🤠

gonococcal

as a Taiwan little monster i have to say ,we were really happy and went crazy when we heard the donatella leak back in 2013 

but we also confuse about the lyrics because we dont do that in Taipei xDDDD

swooning
12 hours ago, MuglerHooker said:

why not?

All lyrics are technically poems, they use all the same techniques.

Art doesn't have straight boundaries, especially literature and modern music, all art overlaps.

I am sorry, but all lyrics are NOT poetry. Poetry is a piece of literary work in which the expression of feelings and ideas is given intensity by the use of distinctive style and rhythm.

If you insist on calling Gaga's lyrical work "poetry" - it isn't, and that isn't even a criticism. It simply isn't poetry - then I would have to call it HORRENDOUS poetry.

Helxig

Donatella is satire, meant to make fun of the way people view herself, Donatella, and other strong, fashionable women, even though it's not how they really are. "because she walks so bad, like it feels so good. Listen to her radiate her magic, even though she knows she's misunderstood"

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

MuglerHooker
3 hours ago, swooning said:

I am sorry, but all lyrics are NOT poetry. Poetry is a piece of literary work in which the expression of feelings and ideas is given intensity by the use of distinctive style and rhythm.

If you insist on calling Gaga's lyrical work "poetry" - it isn't, and that isn't even a criticism. It simply isn't poetry - then I would have to call it HORRENDOUS poetry.

Poetry can also be fun and sarcastic. Exactly what Donatella is.

These lyrics aren't supposed to be serious, they're meant to parody how people view her and people like Donatella Versace.

Not all poetry is serious and deep. Some is, but not all. Some music is serious and deep, some is the polar opposite.

Buy ARTPOP On iTunes

ShayCristoforo

Well tbh... grammar, rhyme, relevance... that's kinda just the bare minimum requirements for lyricism LOL, which is what a lot of Donatella is. Many of the lyrics in Donatella are cringeworthy and BAD, but that's the point. It's the cartoonish character she's portraying, and it makes us laugh (with her).

We all know she can write: "We are not just art for Michelangelo to carve
He can't rewrite the agro of my furied heart
I'll wait on mountain tops in Paris, cold..."

so when she writes something like "you just had a salad today", I'm sorry, that's just bad. But that's the point lol. I wouldn't say it's clever, it just is what it is. Fun.

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Jed Mayo
20 hours ago, Jester said:

It's bad because it's stupid and shallow tbh. Requires zero intellectual effort to write something like that.

I used to be like you and defend everything Gaga's ever done, but then started being more critical. She is the best artist I've ever seen. She is a true poet (I sometimes get chills just by reading her Instagram captions), she's the most creative girl out there, most intelligent celebrity etc. BUT it's not always visible in her songs. And she does have flaws.

Sometimes she adds so much artificial meaning to original meaningless lyrics that it feels forced. For example G.U.Y., it's catchy and makes you wanna dance, but the explanation behind it is just weak. Amazing art and music don't need to be explained. 

Once again, Gaga is the best out there, but she and her lyrics do have flaws.

That's the point of it tho

Archived