💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

"get a spray tan on holiday, in Taipei"

Quark

Featured Posts

Quark

o<(0_0)>o

So there is a thread here discussing whether or not Lorde's songwriting skills are better than Gaga. One of the members on that thread tried to say Gaga is not better then Lorde by pointing out this lyric from Donatella: "Just ask your gay friends their advice, before you get a spray tan on Holiday, in Taipei". But then I asked my self why is this lyric bad? And to be honest, my conclusion is that not only is this lyric not bad, but is actually great. So why is this lyric great?

First, these lyrics form a complete sentence. There is nothing grammatically wrong with these lyrics. 

Second, the lyrics fit completely with the theme of the song. This song is about being a rich women and shamelessly showing everyone who you are. So she is basically telling you, "hey I gave enough money to get a tan, on a holiday, and on a different country". She is just saying it in a funny and conversational way. As if she is talking to someone else in the present tense. 

Last but not least is that rhyme at the end. So not only did she try to tell you how much she travels thanks to her money, but she thought of a time (holiday), and setting (Taipei) that would sound good/rhyme while at the same time sticking with the whole theme of the song.

So why are people calling these lyrics bad? My only conclusion is that many don't like the content/theme of these lyrics and make the conclusion that these lyrics are bad. But just because someone writes something  that you don't like or agree with, it doesn't mean the the quality of the lyrics is bad. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OBEY

"But then I asked my self why did lyric is bad? And to be honest, my conclusion is that not only is this lyric not bad, but is actually great. So why is lyric great?"

sorry but i laughed :air: 

"why gaga hate promo" teas

Cuchulainn

Who's to say a lyric is bad anyways. Poetry is an art form and it's all subjective.

I love Donatella

Jester

It's bad because it's stupid and shallow tbh. Requires zero intellectual effort to write something like that.

I used to be like you and defend everything Gaga's ever done, but then started being more critical. She is the best artist I've ever seen. She is a true poet (I sometimes get chills just by reading her Instagram captions), she's the most creative girl out there, most intelligent celebrity etc. BUT it's not always visible in her songs. And she does have flaws.

Sometimes she adds so much artificial meaning to original meaningless lyrics that it feels forced. For example G.U.Y., it's catchy and makes you wanna dance, but the explanation behind it is just weak. Amazing art and music don't need to be explained. 

Once again, Gaga is the best out there, but she and her lyrics do have flaws.

donutellha

:selena: time to justify my username :selena: 

that entire song is satire, but people forger that often so they dont like it

It's a parody of the "stupid, unintelligent" lifestyle that fashion moguls live in, hence the dumb, drunky lyrics

Walk down the runway but don't puke, it's okay. You just had 10 donuts today. Without frosting.

Sneaky Oliver
Just now, Jester said:

It's bad because it's stupid and shallow tbh. Requires zero intellectual effort to write something like that.

I used to be like you and defend everything Gaga's ever done, but then started being more critical. She is the best artist I've ever seen. She is a true poet (I sometimes get chills just by reading her Instagram captions), she's the most creative girl out there, most intelligent celebrity etc. BUT it's not always visible in her songs. And she does have flaws.

Sometimes she adds so much artificial meaning to original meaningless lyrics that it feels forced. For example G.U.Y., it's catchy and makes you wanna dance, but the explanation behind it is just weak. Amazing art and music don't need to be explained. 

Once again, Gaga is the best out there, but she does have flaws.

It's not a flaw she did it on purpose...I mean the lyrics are supposed to be ironic and fun. It has nothing to do with her inttelectual. Dope comes only few tracks after  Donatella 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Quark
1 minute ago, Jester said:

Once again, Gaga is the best out there, but she does have flaws.

Never said Gaga did not have flaws. Just that the supposed flaws that some point out, are just not there. This lyrics did require thought just like I explained in my OP. They are not deep lyrics because they are not meant to be deep. They are meant to be shallow because of the whole concept of satire. 

shame

I think this song is really fun and doesn't take itself too seriously. I remember reading somewhere that Gaga said this song is poking fun at herself and Donatella and also how the general public perceived them. 

angels forever, forever angels

bloody g

It's a bad comparison. Donatella is not meant to awake the listener's feelings, just a fun song. Lorde barely has any of those. I think Gaga's writing skills are good, she can create a catchy meaningless tune like Just Dance or a heartfelt record like (just put your fave here I don't want to start drama).

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐹𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

Bette Davis

It's not supposed to be poetic, deep or "great lyrics". The whole song is over-the-top, ridiculous, tacky satire. People take things way too literally :toofunny:

Cold as ice cream, but still as sweet.

Archived