Joanne World Tour
🎸 🎤 🤘 JOANNE TOUR TICKETS ON SALE NOW 🤘 🎤 🎸
society

Cultural Appropriation could become illegal

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince   Paws Up 39,933
Morphine Prince

Indigenous groups around the world are currently calling on the United Nations to make the appropriation of native cultures illegal, reports CBA News. A special committee has been asking for sanctions since 2001, long before Twitter and Instagram became the default ways for offended communities to call out BS and make their cases heard. This week, though, the ball is really getting rolling. Delegates from 189 countries are currently meeting in Geneva as part of a specialized international committee within the UN's World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).

The committee is pushing for three pieces of international law to put sanctions place. This will expand international property regulations to protect indigenous property ranging from designs to language. The UN should "obligate states to create effective criminal and civil enforcement procedures to recognize and prevent the non-consensual taking and illegitimate possession, sale and export of traditional cultural expressions," James Anaya, dean of law at the University of Colorado, told the committee. Anaya took explicit aim at Urban Outfitters's aforementioned Navajo line, which resulted in the Navajo Nation slapping the company with a lawsuit in 2012. (The case was eventually settled out of court.)

Secondary source: https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/indigenous-advocates-call-on-un-to-make-cultural-appropriation-illegal-a7791851.html%3Famp

Edited by Morphine Prince
Marry The Night, G.U.Y., and Perfect Illusion flopped for our sins.

Cuchulainn   Paws Up 2,423
Cuchulainn

Is this really what we need? Shouldn't we want to promote and accept diverse cultures and customs? 

• Like 40

slayo   Paws Up 2,966
slayo

Good luck with that...

• Like 8
~ Nina Bo'Nina Banana Fo'Fana Osama Bin Laden On Season 9 Brown

funkyhaus   Paws Up 2,300
funkyhaus

Millions dying each year from starvation, but yes let's focus on this life threatening first world problem 

• Like 38

Possibly Maybe   Paws Up 3,832
Possibly Maybe

Lmao @ Katy next time :gaycat:

• Like 3
"Remembering is good if you don't let it be the fear in you" - Erykah Badu, "...& On"

Rumours1977   Paws Up 3,107
Rumours1977

Ya, while their intentions aren't bad, who determines what cultural appropriation is? Is event "x" happening an event of cultural appropriation in my perspective but not in yours? If it is something that is variable depending on perspective, that could prove tricky in terms of actually charging someone.

• Like 25

Mommy   Paws Up 10,953
Mommy

LMFAO A KATY PICTURE :air:

LEAVE KATY PERRY ALONE :grr: 

• Like 4

FATCAT   Paws Up 26,251
FATCAT

I thought it would be a complete mess, but then I realized it was just the UN :rip:

• Like 2
████████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░ President of GagaDaily ░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████

honza   Paws Up 2,187
honza

Shoutout to everyone from the "Are we becoming too PC" article :selena: I think this proves my point 

• Like 17
Yeah I need to take a breath

stvn   Paws Up 354
stvn
6 minutes ago, Creativek said:

Is this really what we need? Shouldn't we want to promote and accept diverse cultures and customs? 

I'm not saying making it illegal is the solution, but you do realize that accepting diverse cultures is not the same as cultural appropriation, right? Taking people's sacred symbols out of context and using them with no understanding of them is rude.

• Like 7

Drin Lon   Paws Up 4,633
Drin Lon

That will just make things worse if it ever happens which is not happening anyways

Mess at them using a Katy pic 

• Like 6

aaronyoji   Paws Up 1,417
aaronyoji

i understand why native american tribes would want to protect their artifacts and belongings and not have people commercialize for their gain whilst ignoring the actual people and their issues, HOOWWWWWWeverrr, proposals like these completely cut around the issue and i feel like opens up a whole door of issues. i think the social scorn should be punishment enough and maybe we lift up other non white peoples and not reward white privileged untalented people with accolades and attention, lets actually give POC a chance to succeed on their own terms and celebrate that, and actually level the playing field. 

• Like 3

SonOfAphrodite   Paws Up 1,284
SonOfAphrodite

Who decides what is appropriation and how do they determine if you are part of that culture? This just seems messy tbh :selena: 

like i'm a pale Mexican would I have to clarify and prove I'm Mexican to take part of my own culture :oprah:

can someone tell me how this would work I'm genuinely curious.

Edited by SonOfAphrodite
  • Like 10

Dayman   Paws Up 2,133
Dayman
5 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

Ya, while their intentions aren't bad, who determines what cultural appropriation is? Is event "x" happening an event of cultural appropriation in my perspective but not in yours? If it is something that is variable depending on perspective, that could prove tricky in terms of actually charging someone.

THIS 1000 TIMES THIS.

• Like 6