society

Cultural Appropriation could become illegal

Started by Morphine Prince with 68 replies so far

6 hours ago, Goosey said:

So I can't sell Haida-style art? Absurd. I was just looking at some totem paintings by a white guy a couple weeks ago.

JamesPrintBear.jpg

Maybe the guy is white-passing half native? Did you just assume his ethnicity?

:poot:

1 person likes this

*muffled Jewels N' Drugs in the background*

7 hours ago, stvn said:

I'm not saying making it illegal is the solution, but you do realize that accepting diverse cultures is not the same as cultural appropriation, right? Taking people's sacred symbols out of context and using them with no understanding of them is rude.

the thing is, people are calling wearing your hair in braids cultural appropriation because black people had to do so to tame their hair and many more dumb instances like that... obviously there are some cases where its rude or uncalled for but it shouldnt be ILLEGAL, because it doesnt hurt anyone

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, DeanWinchester said:

Uhh the Chinese and Indians have been brewing tea for longer? Or is this a troll post? :oprah:

Of course it was a troll post, but if you want to be a smart arse go ahead.

Both teas are extremely different and I was obviously referring to the British variety.

In any event, I think everyone in the world would agree that tea drinking is more representative of British culture than it is of Chinese or Indian culture. 

Culture is not about creation or discovery, it is about the adoption of those things created or discovered.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I guess Gagz is going to jail

She's going to the prison for bi*ches :laughga:

EDIT: oh wait this is just for the big companies who produce "offensive" items :selena:

Edited by sillynate

Follow me on insta 💋

1 minute ago, Saint Laurent said:

Of course it was a troll post, but if you want to be a smart arse go ahead.

Both teas are extremely different and I was obviously referring to the British variety.

In any event, I think everyone in the world would agree that tea drinking is more representative of British culture than it is of Chinese or Indian culture. 

Culture is not about creation or discovery, it is about the adoption of those things created or discovered.

No I'm not trying to be smart arse. Issues like this really leave me confused. I grew up in Southeast Asia and I have travelled to Japan, Canada and US. The sheer difference between Asia and North America when it comes to "cultural appropriation" is staggering. For one thing, it barely even exists as a concept in Asia, and visiting Japan after living in Canada, I was afraid not to overstep when visiting their temples when I see so many Westerners wearing kimono and drinking from their sacred springs when they do not practice the religion and the Japanese did not seem bothered one bit. Just like how they thought Katy wearing kimono and showcasing Japanese art and clothing to the AMAs was actually cool and not offensive at all. And I could pass as a Japanese with my looks! It's just really really confusing to me and the SJWs don't help the case in clearing up the definition.

*muffled Jewels N' Drugs in the background*

2 minutes ago, DeanWinchester said:

No I'm not trying to be smart arse. Issues like this really leave me confused. I grew up in Southeast Asia and I have travelled to Japan, Canada and US. The sheer difference between Asia and North America when it comes to "cultural appropriation" is staggering. For one thing, it barely even exists as a concept in Asia, and visiting Japan after living in Canada, I was afraid not to overstep when visiting their temples when I see so many Westerners wearing kimono and drinking from their sacred springs when they do not practice the religion and the Japanese did not seem bothered one bit. Just like how they thought Katy wearing kimono and showcasing Japanese art and clothing to the AMAs was actually cool and not offensive at all. And I could pass as a Japanese with my looks! It's just really really confusing to me and the SJWs don't help the case in clearing up the definition.

It's basically a concept completely fabricated by the liberals of America because they have nothing better to do with their time.

You and I are better in South-East Asia and Britain respectively, away from these people in all honesty.

I for one couldn't imagine a world where one was not allowed to eat sushi because of the psychopath liberals in America.

2 people like this

This is ridiculous. This cultural appropriation thing is one of the most hateful thing/idealogy of our modern time.

That's stupid because there are a lot of things that people on this earth share in common, so how are they going to define a "cultural appropriation"? A lot of human beings seem to think they are all separate from each other with frontiers, countries etc but there are a lot of things that we share in certain cultures. How are you going to define it? And how are they going to know when it's in a respectful manner, (or is it going to be illegal too?) or disrespectful? 

don't ban me

3 hours ago, SychosSoChic said:

Will you idiots read the Goddamn article :smh:

This has nothing to do with you as a person getting dreadlocks or using chopsticks if you want to :smh:

These are Native Americans, asking that companies not be able to use their cultural art, to sell PANTIES. Or take their sacred art and mass-produce it, selling Native American peace-treaty feather necklaces, when they're not :smh:

Y'all too eager to jump on the anti-PC train when there was never one here to begin with. Is Western Society becoming too PC? Maybe. But going full blown anti-PC isn't the way to go either. :smh:

Mess @ all of you for not even reading the article :smh:

Now that you explained it, it's understandable/reasonable. :diane: I don't see a problem now :diane:

Follow me on insta 💋

8 minutes ago, sillynate said:

Now that you explained it, it's understandable/reasonable. :diane: I don't see a problem now :diane:

You know there's this thing called reading. I think that would help an awful lot in understanding the topic you are losing your **** over :diane:

💋 Lead Me to War With Your Brilliant Erection 🚬

9 hours ago, Simon said:

What's next ? 

Only marriage between people of the same race?

cultural appropriation defenders totally play into the cards of white supremacists :laughga:

This is the stupidest thing I've heard today.

9 minutes ago, stvn said:

This is the stupidest thing I've heard today.

Thanks for that super intellectual post!

2 people like this

Where is the line that would define being inspired by native designs, and copying it? It's clearly not limited to things sold as "authentic" as a forever 21 tshirt with an Aztec print isn't authentic, but it has the Native American design.

2 hours ago, Gagamel said:

the thing is, people are calling wearing your hair in braids cultural appropriation because black people had to do so to tame their hair and many more dumb instances like that... obviously there are some cases where its rude or uncalled for but it shouldnt be ILLEGAL, because it doesnt hurt anyone

Did you read the article?

1 person likes this