Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne>>>Melodrama

Quark

Featured Posts

Quark
4 hours ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Joanne probably did deserve better scores...

But!

Melodrama's lyrics >>> Production >> Melodies >

Gaga is a singer. She's a particularly emotive and effective singer at that. But Lorde's approach to melody and hooks is more nuanced I think. But, I think Lorde is a more effective story teller.

As a musician, I'm always told and teach others that I'm more interested in where the music is heading to and where its coming from; its always going somewhere. Pop music to me has an awful tendency to make energy explode or decay in unnatural or forced ways at times. Lorde uses both her melodies and her lyrics to make the music always have a destination, and it kills me. Not many artists do that these days to me at least :shrug: 

Sorry you didn't like the album though :shrug: 

I think you are right in saying that Lorde is good at telling stories and providing an atmosphere for them. However Gaga's emotion and vocal power, combined with her always diverse production makes her music much more emotional and interesting. For example Songs like Million Reasons, Joanne, and perfect Illusion show much more emotion than anything on Melodrama. You say Gaga has no subtlely like Lorde but Joanne, Angel Down, Hey Girl, and other songs show just that. However Lorde could never have the power Gaga has. Is good to be naunced once in a while but Lorde providing that same naunced and quite atmosphere for most of the album makes the album a bit monotone. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neight Shayde

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd have to agree. Melodrama is a MEH compared to Joanne.

I get that Lorde is exploring her sound but most tracks on melodrama sound like they could be for other artists as well. Pure Heroine was a source material for a lot of smokey-ish pop today because it had the new IT sound. It was the future, as Mr. Bowie called it. But Melodrama was just dull pop.

Pure Heroine > Joanne > Melodrama.

juju

Melodrama is a complete snooze, it offers nothing interesting in the way that Joanne did.

In 3 years, no one will remember it, while Joanne will continue to garner acclaim. 

❤ x ❤

Thomas P

Gaga's my fave but Melodrama is light years superior.

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Gia Gunn

I listened to melodrama twice and I liked it, but I can't believe the praise it's getting :oprah: maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it, but I wasn't that entertained

3 hours ago, RonnieGagz said:

I love Joanne, but in my opinion Melodrama is better.

Some Joanne songs have a very simple production. Such as Joanne (even if I love the song), Come To Mama, Million Reasons and Hey Girl.

Even Melodrama's ballads have this cool synthpop sound.

Lorde's lyrics usually talk about the same thing, lets be honest, but her writing is impeccable. Gaga can talk about a lot of things in her music, but her lyricism isn't that great.

And lets not forget that Lorde is just 20 years old. She's very young to release a put together album like this.

I still agree with the biased part tough. Gaga should have received better metacritic grades. But hey, at least she isn't being dragged all the time like Katy Perry by the critics.

I would give Joanne: 8.0

And Melodrama: 9.0

Hot tea:gaycat:

EdgeofTeeth

Nope, Gaga will always be my favorite artist but Melodrama is a masterpiece in a way that Joanne just isn't.

Thomas P
10 hours ago, bliaz said:

I can't believe everybody is dragging Joanne and praising a boring and repetitive album :saladga: 

That sounds like an opinion but I'm not sure :oprah:

Whispering
10 hours ago, Redstreak said:

I literally can't take C2C seriously when it's such an obviously calculated effort to course correct after AP, even more blatantly so than Joanne.

Except for the fact that they had already worked together and Gaga had already committed to doing an album with Tony. She was worn out from the pop music rat race and it was what she needed at the time. Gaga is still singing those songs at various events and in one off shows and the influence of that era is still with her...in her vocals, music and in her attitude towards her career.

Thomas P

Ever since Joanne's release, any female album with a higher metacritc score gets thread called:

Joanne is better than--

Lemonade

Glory (I feel bad cause I made Thisbe one...)

Anti

Melodrama

etc

Were all  soooo butt hirt lol 

Pharamon
2 hours ago, Craig Barnes said:

Melodrama isnt a journey either:awkney:

you are entitled to your wrong opinion sis :awkney: 

styleyourvision
11 hours ago, E Nigma said:

o<(0_0)>o

So I am looking at the review scores for Lorde's Melodrama and so far they are great. In fact, for the most part the scores are much better than the scores that Joanne got. But this once again shows the bias critics have against artist like Gaga. I already listened to Melodrama and the album is good, but minus a few songs I would probably not listen again. Joanne is much better in many respects than Melodrama (production, vocals, lyrics, etc.). But because Lorde is seen as this sort of alternative artist and Gaga as a pop star, then we get this kinds of results. Had Lorde made Joanne, her review scores would have been perfect. 

I have to agree with you here. Melodrama is DEF worthy of the ratings it is getting, but the album is blatantly experimental especially regarding production. There are def some bops (Supercut, Sober, Sober II) but there are also some not-so-good songs (Homemade Dynamite lyrically and production, Hard Feelings/Loveless vocals). For me, I LOVE the album as a whole, but I can still feel the immaturity and youth in Lorde's music and lyrics.

Joanne, on the other hand, gives me the exact opposite feel. It is also blatantly experimental (Queen of Genres :tony:) but you can feel the maturity in her performance and lyrics.

Joanne = a nice, warm whiskey on the rocks

Melodrama = a lemon drop shot (or two)

Claymore

Well one's an original and masterful project made by an artist who's hungry for good art and the other is a collection of cliches  mixed with bad songwriting all done by an artist who has lost her drive and her wit.

I"ll let you decide which one is which.

Fiona Apple
3 hours ago, Fame IV said:

in your opinion

and my opinion can be MANY LEVELS above yours :)

its probably not though 

Archived