💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne>>>Melodrama

Quark

Featured Posts

Irrelevant
Just now, E Nigma said:

I am not sure I am understanding what your saying.  

I'm just concluding our rather unsuccessful debate :poot:

êŽ‘ì•ŒëĄœ 걞얎가 알아 ë„€ home ground

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quark
Just now, Irrelevant said:

I'm just concluding our rather unsuccessful debate :poot:

I guess :poot:

SlayGagaloo
9 minutes ago, boneknuckleskin said:

Melodrama is a short, cohesive, quality album... like The Fame Monster :whitney:

Totally agree. 

Which is kinda ironic, because it means that the OP has a good point 

The "critics"  gave the masterpiece that is TFM only 78/100 

:sweat:  

Over.

MsSwan

Playing the Devil's advocate here but she did only start hanging out with Mark Ronson post Super Bowl (2016) who was riding high off of mainstream popularity from Uptown Funk. Not that PI is at all similar, it does go with perhaps some points made by critics in a sense. Although, for the most part I do agree with OP and am not really a Lorde fan– her album is more cohesive aestesically and flow-wise? Just my opinion and thoughts. Just to clarify, I do enjoy more songs on Joanne in comparison to the slower songs Lorde does but hers comes off a bit more authentic.

Levine

Yup, the op is right.

Joanne remains the best female album since its release. 

Justo

I personally think Melodrama is better than Joanne simply because it's more my style. I already stopped listening to Joanne one week after it got released because, even though I love Gaga with all my heart, I can't and will not force myself to like something that I dislike with all my heart. I only like three songs on the album and that's it while I love everything on Melodrama. I would hate Joanne as well if that album was released by any other artist other than Gaga. That's not to say that Joanne is a bad album, but it's just not my cup of tea. :sweat:

xoxo Craig

Melodrama is really really bad imo, only decent song is Perfect Places, the rest sucks. Joanne is a great album, I hate Sinner's Prayer but with that in mind, I'd give Joanne 8/10. Melodramshit gets 2/10

I dont get why everone is saying its so good. I dowloaded it yesterday, listened all the way through and then deleted it

End Racism Now

Pharamon
20 minutes ago, Craig Barnes said:

Melodrama is really really bad imo, only decent song is Perfect Places, the rest sucks. Joanne is a great album, I hate Sinner's Prayer but with that in mind, I'd give Joanne 8/10. Melodramshit gets 2/10

I dont get why everone is saying its so good. I dowloaded it yesterday, listened all the way through and then deleted it

Maybe it's because you simply don't like such kind of music? And in my opinion Melodrama is one of the greatest albums that any artist has put out in the past few years... it's authentic, cohesive, and each song is really well-made plus the entire album is a journey.

SlaeUrAnus

They are both good.

I swear your threads are just attempts to stir up trouble.

In my messy era.

bumblebee

They are different, and by saying that I mean that they are the best examples to illustrate that music is all about variety. But if we try to look at them from the angle of their pop culture context rather than from the indisputable idea that to everyone - his or her own taste, then.... 

1. Joanne is more entertaining. Call it what you want, it is actually a more upbeat, moderately rockish and funky record; its strong country flavour originates in Gaga's choice of instruments over electronica, and maybe the adress of the Americana theme which is often easy to mistake for country. It is more upbeat than Melodrama, more diverse in the sense that it can move from Perfect Illusion to Million Reasons to John Wayne and then to Joanne. Gaga is all about fast narrative. 

2. Melodrama is, on the side, more about the sophistication of description which Lorde masters to the songwriting limits. She is very good at capturing the moments which are more reflective than almost anything on Joanne. Melodrama does have stories of its own, but they are more psychological and the record feels like a study of self in an attempt to capture the mood of time. And there's a lot more empty space and silence in the production of Melodrama, and the space and flow coupled with lower registers of her voice do not race as much as they race on Joanne. 

3. Joanne songwriting has more fantasy and even some noir surrealism to it than Melodrama. Melodrama is more about psycho-biographie when it comes to panning the songs, with even confessional elements to it. Gaga is singing about cowboys and racing to the moonlight, about mirrors and coming down the mountains, dragging love affairs, which is her weird fantasy world, while Melodrama, depsite having its own surreal moments, is more relatable when it comes to putting make-ups and ordering drinks in bars. 

4. Finally, Lorde is in the limelight with Melodrama, and Gaga has long left the pop-limelgiht. We tend to think that Lorde on her new record is taking pop music into some new direction or at least helping it evolve in some way, while Gaga is elegantly old-fashioned on Joanne, and doesn't seem to be bothered by trends in pop music any longer.  

BeerFear

I personally love Melodrama more. The lyrics are speaking to me on a personal level, the production has the" typical-lorde" style which I love with a hint of pop. The album is very consistent imo and that is something Joanne lacks. Im not saying one is better than the other but I can kinda see why it will get bigger metacritic point. 

And this thread is pure bs it should be closed, The OP just tries to stir **** . I hate when someone thinks their opinion is like a general truth and doesn't accept that others taste might be different. 

xoxo Craig
30 minutes ago, Skrill said:

Maybe it's because you simply don't like such kind of music? And in my opinion Melodrama is one of the greatest albums that any artist has put out in the past few years... it's authentic, cohesive, and each song is really well-made plus the entire album is a journey.

Not as big as a journey as Joanne:trollga:

End Racism Now

ItsTommyBitch

Joanne probably did deserve better scores...

But!

Melodrama's lyrics >>> Production >> Melodies >

Gaga is a singer. She's a particularly emotive and effective singer at that. But Lorde's approach to melody and hooks is more nuanced I think. But, I think Lorde is a more effective story teller.

As a musician, I'm always told and teach others that I'm more interested in where the music is heading to and where its coming from; its always going somewhere. Pop music to me has an awful tendency to make energy explode or decay in unnatural or forced ways at times. Lorde uses both her melodies and her lyrics to make the music always have a destination, and it kills me. Not many artists do that these days to me at least :shrug: 

Sorry you didn't like the album though :shrug: 

私è‡Șèș«ă‚‚こた䞖た䞭もèȘ°ă‚‚ă‹ă‚Œă‚‚ăŒ, どんăȘă«èŻă‚„ă‹ăȘäșș生でも, どんăȘにæ‚Č惚ăȘäșș生でも, い぀かは怉èȌし, ç ŽćŁŠă•ă‚Œă€æ¶ˆæ»…ă—ăŠă—ăŸă†. すăčăŠăŒă‚‚ăšă‚‚ăšă“ăźäž–ă«ć­˜ćœšă—ăȘい侀瞬ぼćč»æƒłăȘぼだから

Josip

Joanne deserved more, but Melodrama is slick, polished, coherent and well executed. Joanne, all in all, isn't.

Archived