Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne>>>Melodrama

Quark

Featured Posts

littlepotter
1 minute ago, Irrelevant said:

It honestly shocked me how you decided to quote an @Irrelevant opinion? :awkney: It's from like a month before, geez :awkney:

¿two days ago? Don't post in a thread if you don't expect people to quote you if it makes the week's Top 10 :rip:

chaeri pls

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Irrelevant
17 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

¿two days ago? Don't post in a thread if you don't expect people to quote you if it makes the week's Top 10 :rip:

Time flies by fast :giggle:

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

plasticalice

I think they're both EQUAL. 9/10 albums that **** on recent releases like TITness and Hoeless Fountain Kingdom.

Cerny

This is a case of letting the music speak for itself, there's not pretentious talk coming from Lorde, she's not painting her music as something that is not. Music is the only thing Lorde is sharing, therefore that's the only thing critics are going to judge and according to them and many other people the music is excellent.

The closer paragraph from the Telegraph review describes Lorde and the album perfectly:

"What is truly fantastic about Lorde is that here is an original, emotional, intellectual, imaginatively audacious singer-songwriter operating at the highest artistic level yet putting it across as easy-access modern mainstream pop. Melodrama deserves to be a blockbuster."

-

Lorde is doing "the prestige artistry disguised as mainstream pop" thing and Melodrama is a leap forward not only for Lorde but also, pop music in general.  It ain't just pleasant, it's superlative, sonically and melodically precious and lyrically well constructed and meaningful, and the title tells you everything you need to know about the album, it doesn't feel forced and it's certainly not misleading. Most importantly it is genuinely an album not just a collection of songs, with a coherent structure and flow. Songs reference back to one another, and there are multiple lyrical call backs to Pure Heroine. It's excellent.

Closing track from Pure Heroine:

"We're dancing in this world alone"

Closing track from Melodrama:

"Now I can't stand to be alone"

The transition from adolescence to adulthood.

AJH219

Both albums are the best released in the last few years and represent Lorde and Gaga at their strongest. I'm glad to have them in my life :giveup: :whitney: 

'All our dreams can come true IF we have the courage to pursue them'-Walt Disney

I love Gaga, but Melodrama is just a more cohesive, better sounding piece of work. Also for how cheesy some Lorde lyrics can be they still hit pretty hard. Like the great white teeth line, it makes sense and is a pretty metaphor for white lies. 

Everyone saying Melodrama is objectively better than Joanne and insulting anyone who doesn't agree with them and MC. I know now what kinds of fans Lorde attracts. 

On 6/16/2017 at 3:39 PM, Bloody Grammys said:

Melodrama is way better than Joanne to me. But you can't really compare them, one is meant to sell and have commerical success and the other one is indie. :gaycat:

Melodrama is the one meant to sell, and Joanne is indie. Melodrama is more commercial than Joanne and BTW honey. 

On 6/19/2017 at 9:03 AM, Cerny said:

This is a case of letting the music speak for itself, there's not pretentious talk coming from Lorde, she's not painting her music as something that is not. Music is the only thing Lorde is sharing, therefore that's the only thing critics are going to judge and according to them and many other people the music is excellent.

The closer paragraph from the Telegraph review describes Lorde and the album perfectly:

"What is truly fantastic about Lorde is that here is an original, emotional, intellectual, imaginatively audacious singer-songwriter operating at the highest artistic level yet putting it across as easy-access modern mainstream pop. Melodrama deserves to be a blockbuster."

-

Lorde is doing "the prestige artistry disguised as mainstream pop" thing and Melodrama is a leap forward not only for Lorde but also, pop music in general.  It ain't just pleasant, it's superlative, sonically and melodically precious and lyrically well constructed and meaningful, and the title tells you everything you need to know about the album, it doesn't feel forced and it's certainly not misleading. Most importantly it is genuinely an album not just a collection of songs, with a coherent structure and flow. Songs reference back to one another, and there are multiple lyrical call backs to Pure Heroine. It's excellent.

Closing track from Pure Heroine:

"We're dancing in this world alone"

Closing track from Melodrama:

"Now I can't stand to be alone"

The transition from adolescence to adulthood.

What difference does it make if Lorde doesn't spout pretentious nonsense (something that's debatable) if the music wouldn't live up to that nonsense anyway? 

Everyone is praising Lorde because she's young, white and doesn't get super salacious or sexual. As a culture we celebrate young people's accomplishments more than our elder's accomplishments. 

Joanne is better than Melodrama no matter what a metacritic score says. Stripped by Xtina has a 55 on metacritic. They get it wrong. 

On 6/16/2017 at 2:35 AM, Lord Ryry said:

I know she's great and amazing but if she makes every genre obviously shes going to have people dislike her work. The delivery is a hot mess - hense the cure and how Joanne seems to be over before it even started, perfect illusion receiving no promo and million reasons a single for 4 months with no promo outside of the US. 

None of this has to do with the quality of the albums though. 

bloody g
4 hours ago, OLH said:

Melodrama is the one meant to sell, and Joanne is indie. Melodrama is more commercial than Joanne and BTW honey. 

:sharon:

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

You guys need to understand that in doing this albums a lot of things influence how the albums are made... gaga went from tf to her musical crescendo tfm because no one was really expecting much from her, now she's a bigger pop star who has a fibble fan base to cater to, do u think her label will let her be as artistic as she was with tfm? Everyone has expectations from gaga especially on this forum don't act like u won't whine if gaga delivered melodrama 

Cerny
12 hours ago, OLH said:

What difference does it make if Lorde doesn't spout pretentious nonsense (something that's debatable) if the music wouldn't live up to that nonsense anyway? 

Everyone is praising Lorde because she's young, white and doesn't get super salacious or sexual. As a culture we celebrate young people's accomplishments more than our elder's accomplishments. 

Joanne is better than Melodrama no matter what a metacritic score says. Stripped by Xtina has a 55 on metacritic. They get it wrong. 

We don't know that yet, though?

Critics start judging as soon as the artists start talking about their projects.

Does woke pop ring a bell? Witness got trashed because it did not live up to Katy's remarks. ARTPOP? It got bad reviews mostly because critics (and fans) didn't find the art in Gaga's pop, pretty much every review mentioned that. Her concept came across as pretentious because the music didn't live up to it.

Beyoncé and Solange are not white and the former is pretty sexual. Both, Lemonade and A Seat at the Table were critically acclaimed.

I personally don't find Joanne that special, really. Why do I say that? You can listen to the album and then go, oh, this sounds like that one song or this sounds like a *insert artist here* song. It's an okay-ish collection of songs.

I don't go to metacritic to form an opinion. Some of my favourite albums have a cute yellow score. I rarely coincide with the reviews, but I think both, Joanne and Melodrama deserve their final score.

I only know 3 Christina Aguilera songs, Genie in a Bottle, Beautiful and Candyman. I'm not familiar with her music and her relationship with the critics.

Archived