Lorde - Melodrama (Album Discussion)

monsterdino

Featured Posts

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monsterdino
13 minutes ago, PopBitch said:

I haven't listened to it yet, but I just know it will be amazing.

I think the album title is one of the best pop album titles in years.  "Melodrama" is a great album title.

tbhhh and a great cover too :diane:

ItsTommyBitch
17 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

"Lorde's sophmore album 'Melodrama' is now out worldwide!"

2A03E60C605A42789A6FAF704BB9A130.jpg

giphy.gif

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

bumblebee

I loved it:kara: In my opinion, it is a strong album. She has managed to maintain her signature style without falling in the trap of imitating the sound of her debut album. The songs are organized in a mindful way to establish the evolution of sound and themes, she manages to stay coherent without being too obvious on what she is singing about. As for the music, I loved how there is a feeling that the record is somewhat toned-down yet it's production is solid and curious at the places you expect it the least. 

She is evolving rather slow though. I am sorry if someone doesn't like comparing Lorde to Lana :poot: but what Lana did when she stepped from Born To Die into Ultraviolence was breathtaking in terms of how far off her initial sound she chose to go. Lorde's Melodrama is a mild continuation of Pure Heroine, and I think that sometimes it may seem lacking some inventiveness or fantasy, but I think that the restraints and sonic modesty on the record are intentional. And it may seem like a spoken word album at times, but it's her style. 

I didn't and still don't like Green Light:excuseu: I think she is trying too hard to show-off her songwriting skills on that single and there's jus too much happening on that song and she's losing melody at the expense of wealthy production.

Loved Liability and Sober II/Melodrama  

If I could rate the album I would def. award it with 4 out 5 stars 

Pray4FameGa

An amazing album, and it will grow.

i hate myself for listening to Sober pretty much non stop since it's release, I'm so indifferent to it now and it's fire.

It's been so long since I've heard high-concept "art pop" like this. Lorde will be a legend.

Yes this album is fresh and full of synths, it sounds like a party because that's the phase she's in right now, she wrote it when she was 19.

Just imagine what will become of her when she matures and her influences come from diffeeent places.

My only complaint is she released far too much too early. This should have been a surprise release imo.

HelloBarbara

Preferred the live versions of "Homemade Dynamite" and "Sober II  (Melodrama)" but they're still great.

Love "Writer in the Dark" and the Kate Bush-esque vocals.

After my first listen, I'd rate the tracks:

1. "Homemade Dynamite"

2. "Writer in the Dark"

3. "Sober II (Melodrama)"

4. "Sober"

5. "Green Light"

6. "Liabilty"

7. "The Lourve"

8. "Perfect Places"

9. "Supercut"

10. "Hard Feelings/Loveless"

11. "Liabilty (Reprise)"

Hiiieee

Pray4FameGa

I don't get people saying she hasn't evolved, this album is completely diffeeent to PH.

Pure Heroine's production had stripped beats at most, Melodrama is full of lush textures of sound, and her range as a vocalist is more on show 

HausOfMiklaus

Collecting thoughts I've scattered to the winds.

I armed myself with the punk defiance of Born This Way. I moved myself to the raver spirit of Art Angels.

Now I get to heal myself with the survivor synth heart of Melodrama. I'm so happy it joins the pantheon of my all-time faves. 

I feel like I just wept my whole being away after this. I can't even begin to explain how much this album hits home. I want to thank Lorde personally for probably giving me the thing that'll save me from this breakup.

Pop music saves lives.

Damon

Loved it dince the first listen!  And I can't stop listening tho. Such a great strong consistent album. She and Jack did an amazing job together, I love how she keeps her minimalistic style but still tries something new, you can feel how she grow musically and lirically. It's def in my top 5 this year, close to the top

... and now i just sit in silence.

manicholic

Pure Heroine was EVERYTHING for me and sad to say Melodrama didn't move me at all with no standouts 

There's nothing harder for people to do than admit they were fooled.

This album is absolutely phenomenal. For me it's the best pop release since 1989. It's so cohesive and fresh. It's great lyrically and from a production standpoint. 

zakariah

1. Green Light - Loved it ever since I heard it the first time back in March, I love the transition from the slow pre-chorus to the fast-paced chorus. [10/10]

2. Sober - I think this song is the most mainstream-friendly song on the entire album, but it still has that fantastic Lorde vibe. Also, the 'Ahhh!' right before the chorus starts sounds exactly like the 'Ahhh!' that's in Xtina's 'Your Body', I wonder if she sampled it. [9/10]

3. Homemade Dynamite - Her vocals are very soft and sweet on this song, I love it, although I feel at some points, the instrumental can be quite bland. [7/10]

4. The Louvre - I like the bassline intro, it reminds me of Shawn Mendes's songs. The chorus is very different from anything i've heard before, the instrumental is in the background the whole time & she's just speaking, but it's very effective; it's almost enchanting. I can see the outro being an ending to a movie. It also transitions well into Liability with the fade-out. [8/10]

5. Liability - A very beautiful song, & I can relate to the lyrics to a certain extent. [10/10]

6. Hard Feelings / Loveless - (Hard Feelings): The beat gives me 'Royals' teas, except it's not as prominent. I love the melody, it flows very well with the lyrics & it's very sweet. I can definitely feel the Jack Antonoff-y influence on this song. [8/10] (Loveless): The melody is very playful & joyful, I like it. The lyrics contrasts the melody so perfectly, because it's so dark. [7/10]

7. Sober II (Melodrama) - The vibe of this song definitely fits the title 'Melodrama'. I like the fusion of indie & hip/hop beats. [9/10]

8. Writer in the Dark - Her vocals are very loud & raw & overpowers the instrumental. The chorus is very David Bowie. I thought she was gonna sing 'I am my Mother's daughter' for a second, i've had enough of that, thank you :toofunny:  [8/10]

9. Supercut - I feel like this is Green Light 2.0, you can hear the similarities between the instrumentals and the structure of the songs. [7/10]

10. Liability (Reprise) - Again, her vocals are very raw here & it works to her advantage because you can feel the emotion she's trying to evoke. [7/10]

11. Perfect Places - I freaking love this song, it's a BOP. The break just before the chorus (chi-chi sound), is so cool, and then the beat drops & everything goes crazy. I think that it's the perfect (no pun intended) album closer too, I literally picture a credit rolling when this song plays. [10/10] 

Overall: I think that I have to look at the lyrics to get the whole 'Party' concept that Lorde has described it to be. But I do think that this is a great sophomore album, it's cohesive, catchy & just amazing. You can kind of tell that she's broken out of her shell a little bit since Pure Heroine. She has definitely matured as an artist. [83/100]

Archived