Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was 'Perfect Illusion' The Best Lead Single?

Music

Was 'Perfect Illusion' the best lead single?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. choose one:

• Yes
    • No

Featured Posts

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I really do love Perfect Illusion, I don't think it should've been the lead single. There's plenty of the other songs on the album that would've done better as a lead single. (John Wayne, Diamond Heart, Dancin' In Circles, A-YO etc)

My personal choice would have been either Diamond Heart or A-YO, as I feel those 2 represent the album pretty well & they're sooo good. :) 

Reality

A-YO would have been the perfect lead single in my opinion. It's catchy, it still is very much a pop song, but it has that country-esque feel/sound that we was going for with the album.

🖤👹

HolyFool
4 minutes ago, GagaInTheZone said:

There's no lead single material on the album I think

It's even less a good representation of Joanne than Perfect Illusion, considering the music, lyrics & genre of this song

Perfect Illusion is a song with a bigger and more pop sound than any of the other songs on Joanne. While DIC may not sound too much like the rest of Joanne, it still has a low key element to it which is what Joanne is to me (a more low key album). Perfect illusion's chorus is bam in your face 💥 , while DIC doesn't try as hard to do that...if that makes sense

TheSlash

Perfect Illusion is a good song, but I do also think it doesn't represent the whole vibe of Joanne properly. Songs like Sinner's Prayer (my favorite of Joanne tbh:stalkga:) or John Wayne would probably have been better.

Ew, David!

NewYorkCity

Should have been A-YO. Anyone thinking about John Wayne with that screaming noisy chorus is delulu.

Versace
8 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

A-YO, because it's an earworm and perfectly captures the country sound she was channeling on the album.

Agreed, as soon as I heard it I knew it was the one that got away in terms of lead single 

It has a commercial element to it while still portraying the new sound she was going for , could have easily broke into the top 10. Perfect Illusion really feels out of place on top 40.

Although we all know The Cure was truly deserving of that lead single position :ladyhaha:

TropicOfCANCER

nope.

Diamond heart, John Wayne, Million Reasons, Dancin' in Circles or AYO would've all been much better first singles. Ayo actually would've been the best choice.

TropicOfCANCER
9 minutes ago, HolyFool said:

Perfect Illusion is a song with a bigger and more pop sound than any of the other songs on Joanne. While DIC may not sound too much like the rest of Joanne, it still has a low key element to it which is what Joanne is to me (a more low key album). Perfect illusion's chorus is bam in your face 💥 , while DIC doesn't try as hard to do that...if that makes sense

Lies. JW, DH, and AYo are all more pop than PI.

Luke78619

Low-key would have lived for JW as first single, it appeals to the GP and is more radio friendly than PI

insta: good_lukeing | I have nothing else to promote

VforVendetta

If PI wasn't the lead single everyone in here would complain about how Gaga's team is stupid and they can't find a hit when it's in front of them. It's easy to judge when you are looking at decisions that have already been made.

The fact is one, PI is still the most hit worth song on the album regardless of the result and what you all Little Managers say now. After the cataclism everyone becomes a prophet.

display name

It was perfect for me. Like, it totally had me hyped for the album. That said, I was gonna end up getting Joanne regardless, so that doesn't really matter.

I think "Million Reasons" would've been even bigger if it were the lead. Probably would've been the best choice.

FentyGa

A-YO would be perfect.
As for Gaga's best, Bad Romance really set the tone for her most successful era.

Archived