Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

MTV sabotaged Gaga's original Applause concept / performance

dit

Featured Posts

dit

Did you know the performance we got was not the original concept for the performance and that MTV rejected and blocked her from perfoming the performance she wanted for Applause? It is said that that is why she has not returned to perform for them and will most likely not perform there any time soon.

Here it is:

Torture, floating performers, and Ron Athey -- all this and more were included in the original treatment for Lady Gaga's performance of "Applause" at the 2013 VMAs. Creative development and production company, Dissident -- a company that "converges at the intersecting realms of visual arts, film, music, fashion sport, emerging technology, and international event installation" -- have posted the case study on their website, revealing details from the original outline that MTV Networks turned down. Lady Gaga recently revealed that she wanted look alikes to wear her iconic looks from past music videos, but MTV also refused to let her carry out her vision. Check out the treatment below along with the original reference images and some rehearsal photos of the final product! CASE STUDY: BLACK AND RED INTO BLINDING WHITE LG begins on the center stage B below LED scoreboard, in a draped black gown (see reference image). The KAWS head turns to reveal a black backdrop (ex.: silk) stretched across the truss of the head. A red torture performance possibly involving artist Ron Athey (TO BE CONFIRMED) is displayed on an incline, with mirrored, bloody glass (see reference image). LG very slowly walks the catwalk to the main stage over a period of one minute and forty seconds. At 1:40 / as LG arrives at the black silk drop, it drops kabuki style and is immediately pulled offstage to reveal a blinding white paradise garden (see reference images), filled with LG performers, possibly floating or displayed on tall pedestals (see attached looks). At the same time as the black screen drops, LG’s black dress drops to reveal the same elegant gown in white. LG \begins to walk stage left across the stage in profile over the course of two minutes. As she crosses the torture figure, the dress turns red. At 3:13, LG begins to fly diagonally up stage right in front of the white garden. The song ends as she is still ascending diagonally above the garden. At 3:36 or the end of the song, there is a black out; she is lowered and the head turns back to original position for next act. The exact timing of the walk, if her song is to be preceded by other noise/white noise etc./prior to it starting, etc. is ytd.

there used to also be photos of the treatment for the performance here: http://www.dissidentusa.com/lady-gaga/vma-case-study/

Here are some sketches and a photo they used for reference of what her dress might have looked like:

Spoiler

50034_original.png

50430_original.png

lg-rw-vma_2013-08-05_high-res-for-print-

51139_original.png

51263_original.png

51263_original.png

51857_original.png

52127_original.png

52231_original.png

52668_original.png

lg-rw-vma_2013-08-05_high-res-for-print-

53175_original.png

53356_original.png

53724_original.png

53764_original.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Irrelevant
4 minutes ago, Albertodift said:

Did you know the performance we got was not the original concept for the performance and that MTV rejected and blocked her from perfoming the performance she wanted for Applause? It is said that that is why she has not returned to perform for them and will most likely not perform there any time soon.

YES! AND OMG THAT WOULD'VE SLAYED THE WORLD SO HARD :cryga:

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

Batwings

Yep. It was originally supposed to be an incredibly dark, theatrical, and intricate performance, but MTV scrapped it because they wanted Miley to be the star that year. 

dit
Just now, Irrelevant said:

YES! AND OMG THAT WOULD'VE SLAYED THE WORLD SO HARD :cryga:

I know :air:

I swear whenever I watch the Applause performance we did get I get so pissed at MTV...they blocked what could of been her best live performance EVER and could of sent Applause flying straight to #1 :grr:

like I enjoy the performance we got but you could feel it was rushed.

Bloody Matt

I know the performance we got is generally appreciated on here, but I've never liked it. You could see it was rushed. And knowing it wasn't Gaga's original idea makes me so pressed :rip: Poor girl

dit
Just now, vivre sa vie said:

It would be too artistic for the basic audience of MTV, that's why I think they rejected it!

I think they rejected it because it was going to cost them a lot (I think they pay some of the stuff) and also because they really wanted Miley to be the star of the night because of all her controversy :'(

Gaga should of done this at the Grammys where they deserved her artistic talent but then again the Grammys are too sensitive and cautious and would not have wanted blood and torture and stuff like that. MTV was really the only place she could of pulled this performance off yet they screwed her over! I'll never forgive them :grr:

Swan Heart

It would have been the greatest performance in her career and I will be forever mad.

Gaga should not attend their shitshow ever again, they obviously do not deserve a performer of her class there.

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

dit
1 minute ago, Swan Heart said:

It would have been the greatest performance in her career and I will be forever mad.

Gaga should not attend their shitshow ever again, they obviously do not deserve a performer of her class there.

The really infuriating thing is that Gaga's career, at this point, indicates that she probably won't perform something like that again...as she gets older and starts catering to older audiences with her change in sound and general vibe and aesthetics I don't see Gaga doing something like this ever again and it pisses me off so much that they did not let her do this while she still could and wanted to. 

Ricardo

seems too theatrical for the VMAs, I can understand why MTV wasn't buying it also she hasn't performed again because in 2014 AP was done, 2015 nothing to promote, 2016 PI was released after, I'm pretty sure that if she has a new single she will perform again 

VOLANTIS
25 minutes ago, Swan Heart said:

Her walking out that night would have had to do with her frustration as much as about the 1D incident. 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

VOLANTIS
3 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

seems too theatrical for the VMAs, I can understand why MTV wasn't buying it also she hasn't performed again because in 2014 AP was done, 2015 nothing to promote, 2016 PI was released after, I'm pretty sure that if she has a new single she will perform again 

It literally was her come back since her hip injury. She would have been planning this throughout her recovery. So ofc she would be going HARDER than anything. 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

Ricardo
Just now, VOLANTIS said:

It literally was her come back since her hip injury. She would have been planning this throughout her recovery. So ofc she would be going HARDER than anything. 

I know but thinking from the MTV's perspective, it looked expensive and needed a lot of effort, then you had Miley and Robin Thicke which their only intention was grinding each other, cheap and easy, same result = massive press on the show :giggle:  

Archived