đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

What Is Katy Perry Doing? (Analysis posted by New York Magazine on FB)

mistylake

Featured Posts

DelusionalGaga

Wow, they're really comparing her '' purposeful pop'' to Beyonce's Lemonade? :air:

Also: ''Her entire lead-up to Witness seems designed to capitalize on past beefs and her political allegiances without doing any of the hard work on the tracks themselves.'':applause:

But mostly I agree with the article. I'm surprised how he or she knew about every single thing she's done wrong this era #LittleDetective

RebeldeFaith

"The tagline to Part of Me, was: “Be yourself and you can be anything.” But five years later, I’m still not sure who she is."

That's a little hard but I can't really say the opposite since I've felt the same way since the era started. I can't recognize this new Katy and I've been here since the OOTB era.

Something something idk

Bebe

Honestly, I'm not sure what the article is even arguing.

The author was 'emotionally struck' with the lyrics to Part Of Me  but even that wasn't super self-expressive "it was as close to self-examination as Perry has ever managed."

She is failing because she seems to lack the sincerity she had in Part Of Me (but even then, it only seems sincere in the wake of her divorce with Russell Brand and because "well, there’s an entire documentary for you to see that no, this **** is for real") even though that's only one of her singles and it was preceded by five consecutive #1 singles before that...

Even though the singles beforehand sold the author claims "Perry has a hard time selling the aesthetic" with quotes like:

"But “I Kissed a Girl” was rightfully knocked as queerbaiting that clashed with another album track, “Ur So Gay.”"

"The inspirational anthem “Firework” starts off with the maudlin and embarrassing American Beauty reference, “"

They then go on to argue that her hip-hop features on other #1 hits (from Snoop on California Gurls, Kanye on E.T and Juicy J on Dark Horse) "were questionable at best" and seem "increasingly thirsty".

The article concludes with:

"It makes her as believable singing “purposeful pop” as she was being a hip-hop diva, as she was telling you she kissed a girl and liked it."

So then... What's different? Anything? Why did she have success being a 'hip-hop diva' or telling us 'she kissed a girl and liked it'? Apparently she was just as believable then as she is now....

They say Katy Perry keeps making bad decisions, but her previous success would seem to indicate that, at least at one point, they were good decisions (business wise anyway). Really it seems the argument is "She is making the same decisions" but the author doesn't discuss why that's a problem now.

It honestly seems like kinda a mess of an article where the author doesn't know what point they are trying to make or what they are arguing...

Ariana Grindr
1 hour ago, Bebe said:

Honestly, I'm not sure what the article is even arguing.

The author was 'emotionally struck' with the lyrics to Part Of Me  but even that wasn't super self-expressive "it was as close to self-examination as Perry has ever managed."

She is failing because she seems to lack the sincerity she had in Part Of Me (but even then, it only seems sincere in the wake of her divorce with Russell Brand and because "well, there’s an entire documentary for you to see that no, this **** is for real") even though that's only one of her singles and it was preceded by five consecutive #1 singles before that...

Even though the singles beforehand sold the author claims "Perry has a hard time selling the aesthetic" with quotes like:

"But “I Kissed a Girl” was rightfully knocked as queerbaiting that clashed with another album track, “Ur So Gay.”"

"The inspirational anthem “Firework” starts off with the maudlin and embarrassing American Beauty reference, “"

They then go on to argue that her hip-hop features on other #1 hits (from Snoop on California Gurls, Kanye on E.T and Juicy J on Dark Horse) "were questionable at best" and seem "increasingly thirsty".

The article concludes with:

"It makes her as believable singing “purposeful pop” as she was being a hip-hop diva, as she was telling you she kissed a girl and liked it."

So then... What's different? Anything? Why did she have success being a 'hip-hop diva' or telling us 'she kissed a girl and liked it'? Apparently she was just as believable then as she is now....

They say Katy Perry keeps making bad decisions, but her previous success would seem to indicate that, at least at one point, they were good decisions (business wise anyway). Really it seems the argument is "She is making the same decisions" but the author doesn't discuss why that's a problem now.

It honestly seems like kinda a mess of an article where the author doesn't know what point they are trying to make or what they are arguing...

He/she is saying she needs to get her **** together. Katy is the mess not the article hunty...

Vodka

As a tip, to anyone. I usually just read the last sentence of long readings like these. It usually sums up the entire article in a few words without all the visceral. :nails:

And in response to this article, I think she's trying to figure out what her niche is now, who she is and how she's changed. I do agree at some points tho, but I think she's allowed to explore the boundaries and dimensions of what her career is, or what it even could be. 

Also, Yaaaaaaaas queen of unintentionally confusing those who wish to cook her media wise. :giggle:

Yes, I also do love partying in moving houses as seen in that one Bacardi tv ad.

Ariana Grindr
3 minutes ago, Vodka said:

As a tip, to anyone. I usually just read the last sentence of long readings like these. It usually sums up the entire article in a few words without all the visceral. 

And in response to this article, I think she's trying to figure out what her niche is now, who she is and how she's changed. I do agree at some points tho, but I think she's allowed to explore the boundaries and dimensions of what her career is, or what it even could be. 

Also, Yaaaaaaaas queen of unintentionally confusing those who wish to cook her media wise. 

Ummmm no, kitty purr has been sliced, buttered up, fried and served by her own doing.

bon appetite hunty.

Bebe
20 minutes ago, ECORONA said:

He/she is saying she needs to get her **** together. Katy is the mess not the article hunty...

Yeah sure, but the argument is just weak... Obviously the point is that she needs to get her **** together but the article fails to describe what the problem is and what she is doing wrong...

I'm no fan of Katy, but the article just doesn't say anything :shrug: I think there are better analysis of why she is 'messy' this era than this article.

The article basically goes:

Katy once had a song that seemed kinda sincere (with the caveat that it only seemed sincere because of the documentary behind it and her divorce), her new stuff doesn't seem sincere which is why she is a mess and her new stuff is failing, but also the rest of her past work also doesn't seem sincere but she was scoring #1 after #1....

So? Is she failing because her new stuff seems insincere and desperate? Is that why she is a mess? 

The URL is like:

"Katy Perry keeps making bad decisions" and uses her 'desperate' inorganic collaborations with Skip Marley and Migos as examples of her bad decisions, but then in the same breath also argues her hits with Snoop, Kanye and Juicy J are just as inauthentic... The article criticises "The entire lead-up to Witness" as being messy and full of bad decisions while constantly undercutting its own argument by arguing that her past records also had the same problems...

The final quote says it all :
"It makes her as believable singing “purposeful pop” as she was being a hip-hop diva, as she was telling you she kissed a girl and liked it"

Where is the problem then? I Kissed a Girl was a #1 hit that launched her career. Her collaborations with Snoop, Kanye and Juicy J are all #1 hits. Clearly being unbelievable wasn't a problem for her then. Why is it a problem now? That's what the article fails to address. 

Panchecco

She's just doing too much at the same time 

I don't think she's necessarily being "messy" but this new era has been interesting so far... I'll judge once the album will be out :oprah:

Archived