💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

'Malibu' and Lady Gaga Joanne

blackcoffee

Featured Posts

blackcoffee

I've been thinking about this lately, and while I'm sure many here will disagree with what I'm gonna write, I wanted to share anyways.

So, as we all know, Miley Cyrus recently released her amazing pop-rock single 'Malibu' and people seem to really be enjoying it! In a time where female musicians seem to not be doing well with the GP, 'Malibu' seems to be finding a nice footing. I love the song and it seriously gets better with each listen...it's fun, sunshine, airy, and is the kind of pop I love...just a feel-good song with a sense of authenticity (meaning non-commercialized, like it wasn't made to just sell and appeal to GP trends) and warmth. 

Now, how does this relate to Gaga...if the GP keep responding well to pop like 'Malibu' and other more warm, more classic inspired pop (and they have with other songs like Love on the Brain, MR, Adele anything, etc. and artist like Ed Sheeran and Bruno), I think Gaga has an opportunity to go back promoting the perfection that is Joanne. Joanne definitely fits into that trend of more classic inspired, warm, authentic pop and was kind of in a league of its own when released last year. With GP seeming to warm up more to those sounds as more artist dive into it, Gaga has the opportunity to play off that success some. 

To me, A-YO would be the perfect choice for a next single. It honestly has this special something that I can really see appealing to the GP and although not exactly "trendy", it is the kind of classic, carefree, fun song (like Malibu) that can strike a chord with audiences. It has the same thing going for it that Shake It Out, Uptown Funk, and Can't Stop The Feeling had, where it's multigenerational and I could totally hear AC, HAC, and maybe even Pop radio eating it up.

I am a teacher and sometimes play Gaga (one of my favorite moments was putting on MR as they worked and hearing kids sing along) and when I played A-YO for the first time...oh my gosh, it's like something came over my kids. They just started dancing like they do to songs like Can't Stop The Feeling (that kind of whole class just dancing rarely happens with songs) and they LOVED it. They wanted to hear it again and even started singing the "A-YO" after. It has that kind of groove and beat that makes people just wanna get up and move. A fun video, with a similar vibe to the MR dive bar video that was leaked or whatever, would be PERFECT!

I also think Joanne the song could be a smart single choice too. It's seriously one of her most beautiful songs. People have warmed up to the idea of Gaga on a classic ballad with MR and Joanne would be a nice next step. It would also be touchingly beautiful considering recent events. Gaga has a lot of potential in AC and HAC and her recent successes and willingness of those radio genres to play her would be a great platform for Joanne or A-YO.

We all have our opinions, ideas, and theories on TC and how it came to be. It's no secret I'm not a fan of it for several reasons, mostly that it isn't to musical taste, but I am glad so many others love it and whatnot. In my opinion, TC was kind of a one-off, promo single meant to play off the hype of her Coachella performance (smart move). I don't think it's a part of some secret EP or Joanne rerelease...just a promo single to play off the hype of a major festival performance and based on the other pop songs described and heard from the ASIB filming, it kinda seems like maybe it was a leftover song from the movie that she decided to use for that promo. 

I'm saying that because I also feel it was a nice song to have out while she pressed pause on the Joanne era as she filmed ASIB, but with the Joanne World Tour coming up, I think it's time to go back to promoting that amazing album with singles like A-YO or Joanne, especially with GP warming up more to that type of pop. 

This is just my opinion and something I would like to see happen. I have no idea if it will, but I definitely would like it to. Thanks for reading!

Sizzily

Well, after filming, she's on tour so I imagine Joanne getting some promo then.

One Banned Boi

But... You know that Gaga invented this kind of music in 2016, right? :sure:

And A-No is still nø:neyde:

𝕞𝕪 𝕓𝕚𝕘𝕘𝕖𝕤𝕥 𝕖𝕟𝕖𝕞𝕪 𝕚𝕤 𝕞𝕖, 𝕡𝕠𝕡 𝕒 𝟡𝟙𝟙

Reality

I sure hope so. Malibu itself is doing alright, but it isn't smashing or anything; however, I do agree with you about A-YO. I thought it would have been the perfect third single, and I actually think it would have been a perfect lead single (it's catchy, fun, and still stays within the pop realm while going off into that "country" aesthetic and sound that the album has).

Personally, I don't think Joanne would make a great single. Yes, it's a nice ballad, but after MR, I feel like people want a more uptempo and more ""pop"" Lady Gaga, which I think The Cure satisfies.

To be honest though, I don't think we're going to get a third single off of Joanne, unless she decides to release one during the tour. 

🃏🖤👹

MelbHawker

Joanne is finished. She'd shoot herself in the foot by going backward trying to make it happen again. 

Malibu is less distinct than any song off Joanne. Joanne was too country-tinged for Pop Radio. Going back to it after putting out The Cure would be like... look, it just wouldn't be great. :toofunny:

My Enigma Heart

I don't know. I'm kinda losing hope with Joanne era singles. It's been months since Gaga release a single from Joanne and I'm not sure if she would even give any effort to promote the album (besides the tour). 

Reality
3 minutes ago, MelbHawker said:

Joanne is finished. She'd shoot herself in the foot by going backward trying to make it happen again. 

Malibu is less distinct than any song off Joanne. Joanne was too country-tinged for Pop Radio. Going back to it after putting out The Cure would be like... look, it just wouldn't be great. :toofunny:

We still have the tour, so I wouldn't say Joanne is finished yet.

🃏🖤👹

DeanWinchester

I high-key agree with you but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment again with SLA-YO

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Lextyr97

I'd be here for another Joanne single. Malibu has gotten SOOOOOOOOOO boring though. I literally can't listen to it anymore lol

GypsyBabe

I go back and forth with A-Yo. Sometimes I love it, and other times I'm just not feeling it.

I honestly don't think that she should move backwards, and I don't really think that any other single choice off that album would do well. This is coming from someone who LOVES that album and it turned me into a mega fan. I just don't see the GP loving any other track (even though it's high quality) or it getting tons of radio play. Just my opinion, of course. 

I just can't wait for the tour though, and that should bring some promo! :rockstar:

⚯͛

FreeAsMyHair13

I completely agree with you about A-Yo being a hit single. Like you said it's fun and catchy in a kind of timeless sense and I really think the gp would've lapped it up. But I think the time has passed for her to release it as a single, I mean she performed it on SNL & James Cordon's show back when Joanne first came out so it would just be kind of weird for her to release it now.

I understand PI was the logical first single, it has a distinct Gaga sound to it (or at least I think so), but imo A-Yo would've been such a better choice. It would've showcased exactly the new direction she was going in on Joanne to the gp in a fun way without being too "country" or "folksy". I really believe it could've been a hit, it's such a shame.

I personally don't think Joanne would be a good choice for next single if its chart success/gp recognition you're looking for. She's already done a ballad with MR which was "poppy" enough that it was still accessible to the casual listener. I think Joanne would just alienate the gp if released as a single, and it probably wouldn't even get much radio play at all. Radio only seems interested in playing the same dance or "tropical" sounding music that is dominating at the moment, I think Gaga knows this too - hence The Cure (I agree with a lot of what you said re this too). I just don't think this trend is quite over yet, especially coming into the summer.

JohnWayne92

I kind of think they went about single choices all wrong for this album. A-Yo would have been the perfect lead single. Its pop enough, and catchy enough, that it would have been big. Plus, its Gagas favorite off the album. The video would have been great. It would have given her plenty of radio play too. Million Reasons could have still been the 2nd single, if she wanted it, but i think Dancin in Circles would have been a better choice. Then she could have ended with Million Reasons, Hey Girl or Just Another Day. At that point, she would have had enough pull to pull off Hey Girl as a single, or have the GP eat up JAD. 

She then would have started on ASIB, and released The Cure (which probably would have had better radio play) and we would have had a more successful era. 

This is all wishful thinking, of course lol but A-Yo is the same catchyness as Taylor Swift and the GP eats that bitch up. I think the label was just scared and tried to release the least country song off the album first. 

Sister

She should release the song Joanne when she starts her tour and let it be the last single this era.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

HOTNebraskaGuy

I stopped after you called Malibu pop-rock. Pop rock is Diamond Heart

One, five, ten lay a million on me

Archived