💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Katy's Identity Crisis

Debithius

Featured Posts

Debithius

Katy-Perry-Gallery--960x640.jpg

Pop stars – and their massive teams – are masters of seamless reinvention. Over the course of a single career, a pop artist takes on numerous personas, each being a reflection of the elements most relevant in culture.

Today, young people are less interested in engaging with an artistic chameleon and more interested in personalties that feel real and authentic. The evidence of this can be found in the response to Katy Perry’s recent musical efforts.

Perry, who is one of the best-selling artists of all time and the third best-selling singles artist in the United States, has rarely run afoul of her fans. However, the road to her forthcoming album, Witness, has been full of uncharacteristic missteps and an “urban-leaning” direction that is at odds with the image she crafted around 2013’s Prism. Perry’s lead single, the Skip Marley featured “Chained to the Rhythm,” debuted at number four on Billboard‘s Hot 100 chart before backsliding to number eight the following week, and then dropping out of the top 10 all together. Despite that, it is still the highest debuting single by a female artist since Adele released the powerhouse that was “Hello.”

The lukewarm reception is also a bit surprising considering Perry described the attempt at a politically-informed dance track as “purposeful pop,” an angle that artists like Beyonce, Solange and Lady Gaga have proven can be quite successful when well-executed.

“Bon Appétit,” the follow up to “Chained to the Rhythm,” failed to hit the mark as well. 

These atypically skeptical reactions indicate that in our current climate, if a pop artist wants to be perceived as a creator of more than catchy but meaningless music, it is essential that the performer and real personality genuinely align, and that they both consistently stand for (or against) the same things.

More: http://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/05/23/katy-perry-identity-crisis-op-ed/

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alextruper17

She needs Katya's Krisis Kontrol. sO5edF.gif

Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince

juju

I love that Gaga is used here as an example of what works.

This feels so much nicer than 2013, I cannot lie.

❤ x ❤

blackpink

I don't think that you need to necessarily have a meaningful message to be relatable to people.

Just look at the popular songs right now like Bad & Boujee and other rap songs.

Those songs are popular with the general public right now because it's trendy to like hip hop culture right now  and pop girls are taking a back seat for the most part.  

DeanWinchester
10 minutes ago, juju said:

I love that Gaga is used here as an example of what works.

This feels so much nicer than 2013, I cannot lie.

We've come a long way

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

juju
5 minutes ago, DeanWinchester said:

We've come a long way

I hate that it's at Katy's expense... but Karma is a mysterious madame :diane: 

❤ x ❤

migamiga

What identity crisis?

F7OSrh7.gif

Spoiler

Maybe her team ran out of Katy Keene copies :reductive:

alextruper17
6 minutes ago, juju said:

Karma is a mysterious madame :diane: 

She's not a liar. She keeps receipts. 25f4048ff3648b433e84f506e37d7b84.1000x10

Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince

Debithius
1 minute ago, F AM E said:

What identity crisis?

F7OSrh7.gif

Fam I have no idéa what was I thinking when I posted this? :toofunny:

Zombie
49 minutes ago, Debithius said:

Despite that, it is still the highest debuting single by a female artist since Adele released the powerhouse that was “Hello.”

Enuff said.

NewYorkCity

Katy having her ARTPOP (without real good music) while Gaga is being praised as an example. Loving 2017. 

Despacito
6 minutes ago, NewYorkCity said:

Katy having her ARTPOP (without real good music) while Gaga is being praised as an example. Loving 2017. 

"Without real good music" have you listened to the album yet? If so how can you tell? :oprah:

Also, why the hypocrisy? 

Archived